Epic felon

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Epic felon

Postby Beaver » Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:21 pm

Judy Faulkner has gotten filthy rich from those kids. I like their nice campus but some things about the company just seem creepy and not right.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:52 pm

Beaver wrote:Judy Faulkner has gotten filthy rich from those kids. I like their nice campus but some things about the company just seem creepy and not right.

I interviewed with Judy Faulkner around 1982. Perhaps the most uncomfortable half hour of my life, your words are chillingly apt. I sat down, and she began the conversation with, "I want it all, I want the jet." Her dark eyes were glowing, she seemed pissed off. I had no idea what she meant. Her next line, "If you want security, apply with the state of Wisconsin." My only thought, "Shit, you mean they are hiring! How do I get out of here?"

I've worked for several high tech startups, and come to think of it, they were all the brainchild of a crazy person. It takes insane passion to make a company like that fly. Maybe Judy is fine, but her flavor of intensity threw me.

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:53 am

They still use Visual Basic?

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:05 am

Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:They still use Visual Basic?

Their original product was built on an odd but powerful language called MUMPS. It is a programming language with heirarchical database built in, designed for medical applications. Later on, I worked in a different company with one of Judy's original business partners. They used MUMPS too.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with Visual Basic, only the name sounds like a toy. It is every bit as serious of a development tool as C++ or Java.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:19 pm

Huckleby wrote:
Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:They still use Visual Basic?

Their original product was built on an odd but powerful language called MUMPS. It is a programming language with heirarchical database built in, designed for medical applications. Later on, I worked in a different company with one of Judy's original business partners. They used MUMPS too.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with Visual Basic, only the name sounds like a toy. It is every bit as serious of a development tool as C++ or Java.

If I'm not mistaken, Richard Feynman programmed the Connection Machine to do quantum chromodynamics using BASIC. Supposedly it's the only programming language he ever really felt comfortable in.

diaper daniels
Forum Addict

Postby diaper daniels » Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:28 am

Sure we all laugh, but the Showcase Showdown wheel on The Price is Right and the Whammy Machine from Press Your Luck were both designed using Visual BASIC code.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:19 pm

Programming a big project in Visual Basic is hardly any different from developing in C++. Visual Basic is an object oriented language. Altho VB has some of the functions and syntax from Basic, it's completely different from Basic when you move beyond simple tasks.

If a large program is written in Basic then you have a postman-bites-dog story.

diaper daniels
Forum Addict

Postby diaper daniels » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:44 pm

10 PRINT "EPIC INTERVIEWS ARE SERIOUS BIZNESS"
20 GOTO 10
RUN

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:01 pm

I wonder if they have cubes at Epic.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:47 pm

For me, it's LOGO or no-go. TURTLE POWER.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:19 pm

diaper daniels wrote:10 PRINT "EPIC INTERVIEWS ARE SERIOUS BIZNESS"
20 GOTO 10
RUN

That's some sublime code.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:19 pm

Stowe is going to jail for a long time. You could say he got an Epic sentence.

http://news.yahoo.com/wis-man-sentenced ... ZJUDMxOV8x
"Stowe, 29, will first serve 15 years in federal prison on a federal conviction of sexual exploitation of a child. After that, Stowe will serve 27 years on the state felony counts — 16 counts of sexual assault and 11 counts of taking or possessing sexually explicit images of his victims."

Maybe he will share a jail cell with these other rapists. What is wrong with Madison lately?

Pregnant woman sexually assaulted in ‘violent’ home invasion
6 people forced entry into east side home Feb. 23, assaulted residents
http://www.channel3000.com/news/police- ... n/24904090

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:22 pm

Unfortunately, most cities of any size have a certain number of violent, disturbing crimes each year. I don't think it's anything particular to Madison.

Return to “Town Vibe”