North Sherman Avenue Proposal

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
sylvie
Forum Addict

Re: North Sherman Avenue Proposal

Postby sylvie » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:06 pm

I think I saw some 97 driveways as being mentioned.

sylvie
Forum Addict

Postby sylvie » Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:12 pm

and it does seem as though it's only a few seconds to drive over to Packers from Northport anyway and as Packers flows directly into E. Johnson, I am hoping traffic will go that way.

But with my view of North Sherman out my front window, I have to say that I do not see that many bikes and I will bet that I will not see a lot more when this thing is built.

Not that I wish for more automobile traffic, rather I wish more people would take the bus.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:27 pm

Don't be so sure more bikes won't come. Traffic engineering and road configuration really do affect usage. I might be one who uses Sherman now, and I never did before.

I will be interested how this looks in a year or two. Some of these things work, others don't.

I am disappointed the north side didn't have a lot of planning meetings you could have attended. It really would have improved buy-in, I think. When they finally re-did Willy Street a couple years ago, both merchants and residents were patient with the arduous construction because the whole planning process had been transparent and participatory. And almost everyone agrees it was worthwhile.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:53 pm

Sherman was reconfigured two or three decades ago, in order to divert commuter traffic. The intersections with both Fordem and E. Gorham were redone in order to discourage through traffic. It worked... for a while. But when Packers was under construction, people got used to using Sherman again.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:56 pm

Fordem wasn't even THERE until the early-mid 70s. It was just a no-mans land where hobos hopped off the train and camped in a little forest of box elders by the creek.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:33 pm

I apologize if I'm beating to death a point that's already been made, but if people who don't live in the Sherman Ave. neighborhood use Packers as intended, then Sherman should be more of a nice neighborhood drive. And if they don't at first, the resulting clusterf**k will push them on to Packers. Give it a chance. Ride it out. Like water, traffic will follow the path of least resistance.

That includes bicycle traffic. It tends to go where it's safe and makes sense. IMO, Sherman Avenue opponents are being dragged kicking and screaming to their salvation. Love to talk to you all in 3 years.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:34 pm

Detritus wrote:
fennel wrote:Vermont, at least. This according to a USPS driver's ed course. You have the option of backing into the driveway or of turning around once in the driveway. If you don't have the ability to turn around without a circular driveway, you probably shouldn't be driving.

Let's see you do that in the driveways on the east side of town. Make sure your insurance is up-to-date first, though, OK?

I was surprised at the law, too, but it eventually made sense. Which is safer, after all? Backing into a higher-traffic lane or backing into a very low-traffic lane? It's a no-brainer, even if some texting stooge behind you can't figure out that a signaled turn might involve going in reverse. (This is why we [used to?]) have Drivers' Education.

I lived in the near east side with a very narrow driveway. My choices were to back in, to spend 5 or 6 minutes turning around when I wanted to go out, or to recklessly back out – which I sometimes did. If I got into an accident doing the latter, I'd expect my insurance rates to go up.

The thing is, you figure things out. You can't just take for granted that if your grandpa backed into the roadway 40 years ago that it's perfectly fine to do that today.

sylvie
Forum Addict

Postby sylvie » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:27 am

I wish we cold have voted on this.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:20 am

sylvie wrote:I wish we cold have voted on this.

I'm curious as to who the "we" is. It seems as though people outside of the neighborhood have a stake in this as well. For instance, I am more likely to ride my bike on Sherman if there is a bike lane so isn't it fair that I become part of that vote. If that's the case, shouldn't we then vote on every road project. I understand you're frustrated with the process, but I really don't think voting is practical or feasible.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:27 am

More neighborhood discussion would have been nice though. I was looking at this project with the assumption it had been run just like the Willy St reconstruction was. This is apparently not the case and I'm kinda surprised. And I'd like to know why it was different.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:30 am

rabble wrote:I was looking at this project with the assumption it had been run just like the Willy St reconstruction was. This is apparently not the case and I'm kinda surprised. And I'd like to know why it was different.

I think it should be noted that this will not be a major reconstruction like Willy, only the repainting of lines to redefine lanes. In fact, the city engineer confirmed at the Bluff meeting that the paint used for the current lines (at least on a portion of N. Sherman- I didn't catch the specifics) was intentionally less permanent, based on the expectation of (near) future reconfiguration.

edit: Construction of the pedestrian islands will be required.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:34 pm

I'm not saying this is bad or good, but the years-long planning process might be an east side thing. Where else could you find people -- with opposing views and interests, yet -- willing to sit through so many meetings about every detail of a new road, right down to a tree-by-tree analysis of which to save and which to take down?

I do think your alder (Sherman Ave folks) should call a few more meetings next time. If nobody comes, then nobody has a right to complain too much.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:50 pm

When they did Commercial Ave., there was one meeting at the time I lived there. I had recently moved in so there could have been more before that. I did also go to a city council meeting on the subject and I think 1 other person spoke. I wanted to make sure the old growth trees weren't all being torn down. Luckily they weren't.

We had a pretty major project including sewer, water, and curbs. I did appreciate that my alder(Palm) was able to swing a 15 year payoff for the taxpayers. Makes the yearly tax bill a little easier to swallow.

In the end it sucked monkey balls to have construction going on all summer, but the new road is great and I think it was well planned out.

That said, it seems as though certain east side neighbors tend to be much more proactive with their neighborhoods then other parts of the city. This may also have to do with the alders.

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:19 am

Anybody know how the Maple Bluff board vote turned out last night?

sylvie
Forum Addict

Postby sylvie » Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:34 am

While I do feel a certain irony in my seemingly pro-car stance, I still feel ,@snoqueen, that the neighborhood residents should have a greater say in this than those who just pass through - and it seems to me that the latter was the case.

Return to “Town Vibe”