North Sherman Avenue Proposal

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: North Sherman Avenue Proposal

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:25 pm

Drivers are having a horrible time trying to get out of the Northgate shopping center parking lot through bumper to bumper traffic in one lane. They may not come back.

That's nonsense. E. Wash was torn up for years on end and everybody didn't go away. People know construction is a temporary nuisance.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Jul 29, 2013 6:32 pm

snoqueen wrote:
Drivers are having a horrible time trying to get out of the Northgate shopping center parking lot through bumper to bumper traffic in one lane. They may not come back.

That's nonsense. E. Wash was torn up for years on end and everybody didn't go away. People know construction is a temporary nuisance.

To be completely honest, I think some of them didn't come back for a long time. Traffic on Willy got heavier during the reconstruction but didn't really die down much after it was done. Seemed like some of them got used to Willy and then didn't feel like changing back for whatever reason.

Oddly, the East Wash traffic doesn't seem to have been affected.

sylvie
Forum Addict

Postby sylvie » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:38 pm

snoqueen: it's NOT nonsense! I was speaking in the present tense. I saw it just a few hours ago!

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:05 pm

sylvie wrote:snoqueen: it's NOT nonsense! I was speaking in the present tense. I saw it just a few hours ago!

Okay. Maybe it's not nonsense.

Tell us what other Madison malls have died from road construction. We'll work from that.

sylvie
Forum Addict

Postby sylvie » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:19 pm

And I will be curious to hear the reaction of locals not on the northside listserv and not aware this was going to happen. I don't even remember reading about it in the North Side News.

scottyp65

Postby scottyp65 » Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:33 pm

Two years ago, one of my financial goals was try to change my spending habits and make all of my purchases local. Being on the northside, I wanted to shift my spending to northside businesses to benefit my neighborhood and community. I was very successful, and able to shift my gas, some of my grocery, lots of my dining, some of my entertainment, haircare, and miscellaneous spending to Sherman Ave. businesses. All in, it amounted to over $4,550 last year. As of today, that is going to businesses on Packers Ave and in other parts of the city. Perhaps some of the 50 or so bikers who will frequent the traffic nightmare Sherman will become can stop and buy a bottle of water somewhere to make up for me.
All of this over a traffic engineer's report that was so filled with lies, omissions and ridiculous conclusions that if any of the city alders actually read it none of them would have voted for the switch.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:19 pm

scottyp65 wrote: As of today, that is going to businesses on Packers Ave and in other parts of the city.

OK. We get it. You don't care about the businesses on N. Sherman that much after all.

And since I live in another part of the city, thank you very much for your money.

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:58 pm

Just like the smokers who were going to stick it to the Man by not going to their favorite bars anymore when the smoking ban took effect. Seems ass backwards to me.

I don't think we can declare it a success or a failure after less than one day.

Sidenote: Most days, you couldn't get out of Northgate on to Sherman during rush hour BEFORE this either. You need to turn left at 5:00, you turn on to Aberg, then take the light. Sometimes you have to do that for a right turn too at that time of day.

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:01 pm

And, honestly, the traffic got way better once the paint crew picked up the barrels and stopped painting at 5:45 tonight (not sure who thought THAT was a good idea). The paint truck and barrels were blocking a lot of traffic and causing the majority of the congestion.

Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:12 pm

scottyp65 wrote:Two years ago, one of my financial goals was try to change my spending habits and make all of my purchases local. Being on the northside, I wanted to shift my spending to northside businesses to benefit my neighborhood and community. I was very successful, and able to shift my gas, some of my grocery, lots of my dining, some of my entertainment, haircare, and miscellaneous spending to Sherman Ave. businesses. All in, it amounted to over $4,550 last year. As of today, that is going to businesses on Packers Ave and in other parts of the city. Perhaps some of the 50 or so bikers who will frequent the traffic nightmare Sherman will become can stop and buy a bottle of water somewhere to make up for me.
All of this over a traffic engineer's report that was so filled with lies, omissions and ridiculous conclusions that if any of the city alders actually read it none of them would have voted for the switch.

Wow, you have that itemized to the dollar? I absolutely do not think you pulled that out of your ass in order to make your fictional spite-based boycott seem like Serious Internet Business.

Still, if this pisses off the oldsters enough to hurry the inevitable and sell their houses early, so much the better. Imagine the business opportunities of a neighborhood where less than 75% of the residents live on Social Security!

Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:59 am

snoqueen wrote:

Are you being deliberately obtuse? There is no construction, just a couple of paint trucks. These traffic problems aren't the result of a construction project, they're the result of the reconfiguration operating as designed.

That's not a temporary nuisance, that's the new normal that these businesses are going to have to try to survive. I don't think they can do it.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:02 am

Again, wait a few days. Those who have used Sherman as a quick shortcut to get to and from central Madison will find another route (Northport - Packers), as their previous route is no longer than quick.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:39 am

I found it much easier and quicker than usual to make my left turn on to Sherman this morning.
Ninja wrote:There is no construction, just a couple of paint trucks. These traffic problems aren't the result of a construction project, they're the result of the reconfiguration operating as designed.

That's not a temporary nuisance, that's the new normal that these businesses are going to have to try to survive. I don't think they can do it.

Except it wasn't the "new normal" yesterday. There were orange cones everywhere and conflicting paint lines. It was, quite literally, a work in progress.

Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:40 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Again, wait a few days. Those who have used Sherman as a quick shortcut to get to and from central Madison will find another route (Northport - Packers), as their previous route is no longer than quick.

Then businesses won't have to worry about all that pesky car traffic that's blocking all the car traffic that they so desperately rely on. Genius!

Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:45 am

jman111 wrote:I found it much easier and quicker than usual to make my left turn on to Sherman this morning.
Ninja wrote:There is no construction, just a couple of paint trucks. These traffic problems aren't the result of a construction project, they're the result of the reconfiguration operating as designed.

Except it wasn't the "new normal" yesterday. There were orange cones everywhere and conflicting paint lines. It was, quite literally, a work in progress.

This morning traffic was moving fine, but it was much more concentrated so it took me almost 5 minutes to take a right out of the Citgo lot. That's a problem.

And there wasn't even much traffic, or a train, or a stopped bus, or a delivery vehicle. It's just a consequence of the concentration of vehicles limited to a single lane. I'm not going to waste my time with that. I'll miss having a gas station on the inbound side of my morning commute though.

Return to “Town Vibe”