Art Fair on the Square

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Peanutbutter
Forum God/Goddess

Art Fair on the Square

Postby Peanutbutter » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:21 pm

DCB wrote:I would really have liked to see Gitmo closed down, though.

Why do you hate America?

seemunkyz

Re: Art Fair on the Square

Postby seemunkyz » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:06 pm

Peanutbutter wrote:
DCB wrote:I would really have liked to see Gitmo closed down, though.

Why do you hate America?

This has a very misleading title. While I'm 100% sure we all agree that anyone who disagrees with anything the Government says/does hates this country with all their soul, I am actually curious...

Anyone, how did Art Fair go this weekend? It was too hot for me to consider walking around the square. I heard that many people had the same idea as me.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:51 pm

Art Fair was good as always. Didn't buy anything but enjoyed looking. Midwest by Mideast played good music with good belly dancers.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:35 pm

One of my friends bought a picture of a silo.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:51 pm

I think this may be why the fair has such a low reputation among artists/craftspeople. It's really a tchotchke fair. Not to say that's uncommon. It's how a lot of folks make ends meet. Doesn't do much for those who have invested a lot in their work.

I gather there are a few moneyed/romneyed buyers who pass through early on the first day looking for quality work, but that's a shrinking sector, these days.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:31 pm

I spent $0 for art, $9 lunch at Brocah, $5 parking, and $1 for a Beanie baby a guy was selling in front of the Overture. So $15 total.

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=37253

"The overall economic impact of the fair on the local community is estimated at $25 million, according to a 2011 Chamberlain Research survey. It showed that on average, art fair attendees spent $127 per day on purchases unrelated to the actual art -- namely food, accommodations, and other travel expenses. Last year, artists totaled around $2.7 million in sales, averaging $6,069 per artist..."

$6,000 for a weekend is good. Do that 10 times a year and you have a nice income.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:49 pm

Beaver wrote:$6,000 for a weekend is good. Do that 10 times a year and you have a nice income.

I know people who have done this and it's pretty taxing. It's a lot of travel and it's a crap shoot. The midwest folks I know had to travel down south during the winter. This is a pretty big fair so artists do well. I don't think they average that in many places.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:21 pm

Yeah, 6k is great if it's all profit. I'm guessing most of those vendors aren't even clearing 50%.

And judging by the conversations I've had with them in years past, the average is kinda screwed. A few of them managed to hit this year's crowd pleaser button. A lot of them, even with all that talent and hard work, didn't.

Return to “Town Vibe”