Crosswalk Talk

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
seemunkyz

Re: Crosswalk Talk

Postby seemunkyz » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:44 pm

Stebben84 wrote:
seemunkyz wrote: Oh no! I have to stop at a stop sign!? Oh no, the pedestrian walked out in front of me!

So you come to a full and complete stop in your car every single time you are at a stop sign. Look both ways(even at a four way) then go. I call bullshit.

As far as that pedestrian, like I said, I have had plenty walk right out in front of my car traveling at 20 - 25 with no warning. Such as walking parallel to Monroe and as you get to the crosswalk turn and walk out into Monroe.
People do that and if you think it's ok, then you're creating part of the problem.

Also, maybe that pedestrian wouldn't just walk right out in front of they could trust that people would eventually stop otherwise. As of right now it sounds like the only way to get you to stop is to step out in front of you.

Let's all be like stebben and just run stop signs and stop lights, and go where we want willy nilly! I'm going to try driving on the sidewalk tonight on my way home because it would be convenient for ME and I think they should change the law to make it legal for ME.

My god you people are selfish.

ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:47 pm

seemunkyz wrote:What matters is what the LAW is, and the LAW says you are supposed to stop for the idiot who walks out in front of you without looking, even if he is an idiot. Bottom line is that had you struck and killed the pedestrian, we wouldn't be having this conversation because you'd be in jail for manslaughter.
Not necessarily true. The WI DMV says that a pedestrian must
Not suddenly move into the path of a closely approaching vehicle that does not have sufficient time to yield for a pedestrian

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:03 pm

I've got it!

The stop-for-any-and-all-pedestrians-doing-anything-at-all law is
the traffic equivalent of "stand your ground."

Pedestrians and people with guns can do whatever they like and
cars and dead people have no recourse.

Let's argue about THAT.

Ready, set, go.

seemunkyz

Postby seemunkyz » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:09 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:
seemunkyz wrote:What matters is what the LAW is, and the LAW says you are supposed to stop for the idiot who walks out in front of you without looking, even if he is an idiot. Bottom line is that had you struck and killed the pedestrian, we wouldn't be having this conversation because you'd be in jail for manslaughter.
Not necessarily true. The WI DMV says that a pedestrian must
Not suddenly move into the path of a closely approaching vehicle that does not have sufficient time to yield for a pedestrian

That's great and all if you want to follow the rules of logic, but stebben didn't specify whether or not they had time to stop, simply that they were annoyed that they had to. Also not quite what the thread is about. I think we all know that jumping in front of a moving car last second is a bad idea.

Francis Di Domizio
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Francis Di Domizio » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:10 pm

snoqueen wrote:I've got it!

The stop-for-any-and-all-pedestrians-doing-anything-at-all law is

Pedestrians and people with guns can do whatever they like and
cars and dead people have no recourse.

Let's argue about THAT.

Ready, set, go.

So I can't claim that a pedestrian attacked my bumper?

ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:17 pm

snoqueen wrote:The stop-for-any-and-all-pedestrians-doing-anything-at-all law is
I think you've got it backwards. The person with the car (the machine/device giving them superhuman powers) is the one standing their ground - their right to maintain their momentum on the roadway. If you interfere with that, maybe by crossing the street on your way home from school, a violent death is an appropriate response.

(Actually, either way it's a pretty poor equivalence)

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:37 pm

Sure it is. Let's argue anyway.

ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:45 pm

snoqueen wrote:Sure it is. Let's argue anyway.
Why? Just because most of this forum deals almost exclusively in insult or nonsense doesn't mean that we have to go with the flow.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 5:53 pm

seemunkyz wrote: Do I complain about it? No, because it's the freakin' law

seemunkyz wrote:Did you not expect to be delayed a few minutes?

seemunkyz wrote: Just shut up and follow the law!

seemunkyz wrote:Also, MPD, if you do something like this, please don't put out a news release about where you are enforcing. I read the traffic enforcement updates all the time that tell me where not to speed. Since then, I have never been suprised by a cop with a radar gun. Did it keep me from speeding? Yes, but just for one day.

Emphasis mine. Why is your decision to speed endangering others lives ok, and my decision to make a rolling stop endangering MY life wrong.

Listen, we'll agree to disagree. I DO stop for pedestrians when I know they're crossing. Would you stop on, let say Fish Hatchery road, during rush hour if you saw someone ready to cross. I'm sorry, but I think that is asinine. What about University during rush hour. I don't think it's as cut and dry as you think.

Yes, I break the law when it comes to traffic rules. Seems as though you do too.

Meade
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Meade » Mon Jul 16, 2012 6:01 pm

ArturoBandini wrote:Also, anybody else notice the boobs on the cartoon woman shown running away from the Prius in the title image? Sheesh.

What do you mean by "sheesh"?

ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:16 pm

Meade wrote:
ArturoBandini wrote:Also, anybody else notice the boobs on the cartoon woman shown running away from the Prius in the title image? Sheesh.

What do you mean by "sheesh"?
I suppose I meant, "those are some cartoononishly disproportionate boobs". They seemed out of place on the cartoon woman, and out of character for Isthmus.

Igor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Igor » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:19 pm

Well, it seems like there has been some improvement on Raymond Road, just east of Whitney Way. The area is still plagued by a poor location for a crosswalk - if it was even 50 feet farther east, it would be safer.

Of course, the giant flashing message boards won't remain there forever. But it seems like the cars are paying more attention, as well as the pedestrians. Even the "I bet you won't hit me" idiot teenagers seem to have been shamed into using the crosswalk.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:04 pm

Igor wrote:Of course, the giant flashing message boards won't remain there forever. But it seems like the cars are paying more attention, as well as the pedestrians.
Good signage is worth it's weight in gold. Noticing the lack of it when we first moved to Wisconsin, we assumed the state (Madison?) couldn't afford or be bothered with laying down a little paint or planting a few signs.

I've never lived anywhere where two pale chalk lines would be thought sufficient to demarcate a crosswalk (unless its visibility was intended only for pedestrians).

On the other hand, the recent improvement at Mineral Point and Owen is pretty impressive. Lights and everything! Little is left to the imagination – as it should be.

Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:16 pm

I haven't read any of the posts here, and I don't know if I can bear to do it, but I did see the cover of the paper and I really don't understand how crossing the street can be a crisis. Just look both ways. Problem solved.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:49 pm

That's because you're a ninja.

Return to “Town Vibe”