How is the drought affecting you?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: How is the drought affecting you?

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:06 pm

Has anyone else notice a decline in hummingbird visits to their feeder? I have. I wonder if they are just lying low or do they have that many flowers to feed at?

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:34 pm

Henry Vilas wrote: I have a couple of containers with peppers. Squirrels and chipmunks have wiped out the janapenos. They don't like the cayennes as much.

Cayennes are now wiped out. Critters are getting desperate for food. Next year I'll need to protect my peppers better by caging them.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:52 pm

I've been noticing a lot of wasps around my back yard lately. I haven't seen a nest anywhere and decided to do some research. Came up with this:

Wasps Apparently Hate the Heat

When the weather starts to get warm, some animals and bugs become more active. While humans welcome the new life of spring around them, some of this new activity can become a nuisance in a short amount of time. One example is the wasp and his stinging relatives. During the spring and summer months, wasps are busy making a home for their colonies and searching for food for the queen so that she can start creating millions of more wasps. Like most creatures, the wasp is very protective of its home and its family and they not afraid to fight in defense. Wasps are never laid back creatures by their nature but during the heat of the summer months, they can go crazy. Wasp nests anywhere near your home, especially in July and August can be very dangerous.

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/4023470

Now I REALLY hope i don't have a nest hiding somewhere.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:03 pm

We had mint in planter boxes in a wood frame, under the maple tree. New stuff. Last year's didn't winter well so we got a few plantings from Willy coop.

The squirrels have been digging in the planters and just stretching out, planting their bellies in the cooler dirt, in the shade of the maple, dozing for hours. They watch us as we walk around the yard but don't move till we're almost right on top of them and then they sort of amble up the framework to the fence and then to the tree.

And make a lazy sort of chittering complaint noise. And wait for us to get out of the area so they can lay around the spa some more.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:13 pm

we're in severe area

Return to “Town Vibe”