Madison driving peeves

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
barney
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Madison driving peeves

Postby barney » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:58 pm

I'm pretty sure this was already mentioned upthread, but people who sit as far to the right as they possibly can at an intersection when they are either going straight or turning left, thereby blocking the way for those of us behind you who may be turning right.

Other huge one: People who pull through green lights and sit in the intersection when traffic is backed up, then end up sitting there when their light is red so no cross traffic can go. I. Hate. That. Yup, no one else in the world other than you. Stupid fucks.

wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:53 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:While far from a perfect driver, I've gotten into the habit of always using my turn signals, even when on an otherwise deserted road before changing lanes. I sometimes laugh at myself for doing so.

I do this too. In fact my sister busted me for using my turn signal as I turned out of the underground parking garage at my place a few days back. It's force of habit I suppose but anytime I turn the wheel I hit the lever with my pinkie. If only I could get my father to use his signals half as much.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:17 pm

I recently got "busted" and chided for using my signal when pulling into the driveway after having just backed out and waited for another car to pull out (switching vehicles in driveway).
It's really just automatic once you get in the habit of using them.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:03 pm

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:39 pm

barney wrote:
Other huge one: People who pull through green lights and sit in the intersection when traffic is backed up, then end up sitting there when their light is red so no cross traffic can go. I. Hate. That. Yup, no one else in the world other than you. Stupid fucks.

Yes. Also people who will block your signaled left turn in backed up traffic and then just look at you.

I occasionally ride with a guy who is a red light creeper. Move a foot, stop. Move a foot, stop. Move a foot, stop. Drives me insane.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:15 pm

narcoleptish wrote:I occasionally ride with a guy who is a red light creeper. Move a foot, stop. Move a foot, stop. Move a foot, stop. Drives me insane.

Related: The people that can't keep a steady speed at all. One friend of mine is constantly accelerate, decelerate, accelerate... god. It actually makes some passengers sick at residential speeds.

Pro tip: If you typically find yourself passing and being passed by the same people on the freeway, the problem is you. Learn how to use your cruise control, dammit.

bcs89
Forum Addict

Postby bcs89 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:41 pm

People in the left turn/straight ahead lane that pull so far forward (even though they are going nowhere till the light turns green) that, to turn right on red, you have to pull almost out into the intersection to see if it is clear.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:02 pm

ilikebeans wrote:One friend of mine is constantly accelerate, decelerate, accelerate... god. It actually makes some passengers sick at residential speeds.

I know someone like this as well. I can't drive with them anymore. It's just too much.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:07 pm

ilikebeans wrote:Learn how to use your cruise control, dammit.
Alternately, learn when not to. I often suspect that the jackass holding everyone up in the passing lane because they're only going 1mph faster than the truck in the right lane has just set their cruise control and nothing's gonna make them change speed.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:19 pm

narcoleptish wrote:I occasionally ride with a guy who is a red light creeper. Move a foot, stop. Move a foot, stop. Move a foot, stop. Drives me insane.

My mother, god rest her soul, was absolutely convinced she could make a red light turn green by doing that.

shyguy

Postby shyguy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:33 pm

I've seen many of my "favorites" here, nice to know I'm not suffering alone.

I've encountered a new move recently, not sure what to call it, the "I'm so important I don't have to play by the rules" move. Guess lots of these moves fall under that generic title. These people are avoiding the "rules" for turning - three examples:

After coming under Monona Terrace, when approaching the intersection of Willy/Wilson as John Nolen Drive turns into Blair - near the Essenhaus to the left and Sardine to the right - there is a right turn lane for traffic turning from Nolen into Willy. I've now seen several times cars avoid the "backed up" right turn que, proceed directly to the intersection, and then hang their right turn "around" the right turn island to head into Willy and gain a few cars. WTF?

Similar moves on southbound Stoughton Rd., at the Buckeye Rd. intersection. There is a left turn lane for southbound Stoughton Rd. traffic turning into eastbound Buckeye. In the morning, this left turn lane backs up quite a bit, traffic heading for Dean Clinic largely I spose. Instead of waiting in the left turn que, I've seen people come along and turn right into westbound Buckeye, then hang a hard u-turn back into eastbound Buckeye to cross Stoughton Rd., so as to avoid the left turn lane.

And then I've seen already a handful of clowns at our new quick store at the corner of Dean Ave. and Monona Dr., who make a right turn from westbound Dean Ave. to cut through the quick store parking lot and make a right on northbound Monona Dr., rather than sit in the 3-4 car line at the light to wait to make their right turn. Jerks.

Where are people going that they're in such a hurry, so important that the rules don't apply to them?

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Thu Jan 12, 2012 6:32 am

Using signals too early in an exit only lane.

That's nice that you're letting everyone know way way ahead of time that you're going left at the bottom of the ramp but to me it looks like you f'd up and want to get back on the highway.

Which I am allowing you to by braking and opening up a huge space.

Which you don't use, cause you're really only turning left. A while from now.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:40 am

Especially applicable today: Not turning on headlights when the weather is bad.

Applicable when the sun goes down: Not using lights at all. Seems like at least once a week I'll drive past someone with all lights off in the pitch dark. I could see it when traveling under streetlights, but otherwise doesn't not seeing the road or the dashboard provide a clue? On the other hand, I suppose it makes for easy pickings for cops, especially around bar time. Walter, any idea what percentage of traffic stops begin with a darkened car?

Btw, it's St. Whinge’s Day today, so I expect more petty bitching than usual. Ready, go!

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:03 pm

ilikebeans wrote:Especially applicable today: Not turning on headlights when the weather is bad.

Applicable when the sun goes down: Not using lights at all.

Applicable anytime: Driving with only your parking lights on.
You should either have your lights on or you shouldn't.
Is there really some middle ground I'm missing?
Why do these even exist anymore?
And is Vestigial Lamps a good name for a bad psychedelic band or a bad name for a good one?

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:09 pm

...which makes me think of Digital Apology, a reference to the Yakuza.

Return to “Town Vibe”