Madison driving peeves

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
BoogieBoy

Re: Madison driving peeves

Postby BoogieBoy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:46 am

I'd just pay the ticket, but it'd be nice if some thought was given to making these pedestrian friendly intersections stand out ahead of time, like hanging some tasteful streamers from the walk light, indicating that this is a special intersection that celebrates and aims to protect pedestrians.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:25 am

BoogieBoy wrote:What's with this trend of the walk signal turning on before the green light, giving a few seconds headstart for pedestrians before the light turns green for cars/bikes?

Trend? You've been seeing more and more of this?

The only one I've noticed is King & Doty, which has been walk-before-green for at least a dozen years. That's a wonky intersection for peds, especially if you're walking up the GEF side of King Street, where the street is wider than it seems and there's a high volume of cars turning right.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:46 am

Ducatista wrote:Trend?

I've been noticing this at other intersections around town, as well.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:54 am

One thing that's always driven me nuts is people using the bike/bus lane around the capital as a car lane. Even worse than that is using it as a right turn lane when there is clearly one more lane over to the right. It blocks buses and bikes from turning left on a green when there is a right on red.

Well, hopefully it will get better. Rode around the capital yesterday and they've started to repaint the road with giant letters saying bike and bus lane only and marked the farthest right lane with an arrow. Hopefully people can figure out that a right turn lane is the one farthest to the right. Seems like a no brainer, but I guess there are too many dumb people in this world.

BoogieBoy

Postby BoogieBoy » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:32 pm

University Ave. and Segoe Rd. is walk before green.

pjbogart
Forum God/Goddess

Postby pjbogart » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:39 pm

Thanks for bumping this. I looked back at some of the earlier pages and saw a few posts from Walter. In a way it reminds me that Paulie Heenan is still dead, but it also reminds me that Walter was a pretty regular guy who seemed pretty nice for a cop. But a bad beat, the wrong shift and a few poor decisions and Walter's life was upside down. I guess that's better than being dead, but Paulie isn't in pain. Walter is.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:41 pm

I know. It still bothers me too.

Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:34 pm

BoogieBoy wrote:I'll do my best to adjust, but no guarantees.

This, to me, is Madison driving culture (and biking culture and walking culture) in a nutshell. "Sorry if somebody dies, but I'm not willing to make an effort, so whatever." I'm living in a cuckoo clock!

BoogieBoy

Postby BoogieBoy » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:10 pm

This, to me, is Madison driving culture (and biking culture and walking culture) in a nutshell. "Sorry if somebody dies, but I'm not willing to make an effort, so whatever." I'm living in a cuckoo clock![/quote]

Or it's the words of someone admitting they have a conditioned brain and trying to warn others for their own safety. I am going to do my best to memorize all the walk-before-green intersections and will also make an effort to not default into auto-pilot when sitting at a red light. But no guarantees because I'm human.

It's not a huge safety concern though. When I'm making a turn I'm focused on not hitting a pedestrian regardless of what color the light is because turning requires more alertness than going straight. I come close to running reds when I'm going straight (parallel to walkers), which isn't a safety concern, just a legal concern.

Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:35 pm

BoogieBoy wrote:I am going to do my best to memorize all the walk-before-green intersections

What? No. Just drive like you've got some goddamn sense.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:44 pm

Ok, holier than thous, or anyone who cares to fess up - what tickets have you got?

I've got 3 - speeding, running a stop light, and following too closely (rear ended someone who slid out on a patch of ice on an on ramp)

Most recent was 20 years ago. What ya got?

Ninja
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ninja » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:58 pm

bdog wrote:Ok, holier than thous, or anyone who cares to fess up - what tickets have you got?

I've got 3 - speeding, running a stop light, and following too closely (rear ended someone who slid out on a patch of ice on an on ramp)

Most recent was 20 years ago. What ya got?

I got a speeding ticket (70 in a 55) and a ticket for rolling through a four-way stop when I was 16 (21 years ago), and I got a speeding ticket on 18-151 a few years ago for doing 73 in a 65, but I stonewalled it down to an obstructing traffic by slow speed charge, which had less of an insurance impact.

Moving violation citations were never my problem. I was more of a hands on juvenile delinquent.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:05 pm

73 in a 65? oh the humanity!

I.e., that's a bullshit stop.

I'm thankful for the tickets I've got, especially the rear ender.

I've learned that space cushions and patience are your friend in the vehicular world.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:18 pm

bdog wrote:Ok, holier-than-thous, or anyone who cares to fess up - what tickets have you got?
20 years back, I got a parkng ticket near city hall in Ann Arbor – parking while giving a housemate a ride to pay a parking ticket. (He reimbursed me.)

Most of my speeding has been done (prudently) on a bicycle.

WestSideYuppie
Forum God/Goddess

Postby WestSideYuppie » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:24 pm

I got a speeding ticket 24 years ago. The officer asked me if I was a member of the clergy. I don't know why he asked, or what would have happened had I said yes. I contested the ticket and plea bargained it down to a one-point violation.

Return to “Town Vibe”