Xmas eve and day activities?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Xmas eve and day activities?

Postby ilikebeans » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:08 pm

Ducatista wrote:Pretty sure St Patrick's has the only midnight mass on the isthmus, so I may do recon this Sunday to find out how early we'll have to show up.

It would appear that midnight mass at St. Patrick's is conducted by Bishop Morlino. I'm sure most locals know that name, but if you don't, a quick internet search will turn up all sorts of things.

I know of two specific, unrelated instances where formerly faithful Catholics have switched denominations entirely because of his incendiary homilies. Examples: anti-abortion rants and, most recently, a blanket defense of all accused pedophile priests. From the pulpit. At a fucking confirmation mass. My friend's comment: "I'd never seen my (formerly die-hard Catholic) mother so furious. She was shaking with rage."

city2countrygal
Forum God/Goddess

Postby city2countrygal » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:10 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:I'm gender splitting my posts. Some say "guys",some "gals" so as not to offend.

Really Ned? Because one would have to read your posts in the order you write them to get that. Sorry, but I don't buy it. I think because I responded first (sorry kurt_w), you chose to reply back with "gals." And then made up that excuse to cover your ass.

I kind of wish now I would have chosen an androgynous foron name. Maybe then my Brewers posts wouldn't get ignored. BTW, Ned, "people" or "forons" works just fine for inclusivity.

I'm another ex-Catholic, and I wondered why Ducatista's friend would want to "experience a full dose of Catholic ritual." It reminds me that the last time I went to mass at Christmas someone two pews over puked and stunk up the whole church. I was hoping it didn't turn into a Stand by Me puking scene. Luckily it did not, and that was one of the last times I went to church for any holiday.

Back to the topic of the thread. Devildog, was there anything you or your husband wanted to do but never got to on Christmas?
I once spent Christmas on St. Thomas and snorkeled right off Necker Island. A bizarre but wonderful way to spend the holiday!
Do something memorable!

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:55 pm

city2countrygal wrote:I'm another ex-Catholic, and I wondered why Ducatista's friend would want to "experience a full dose of Catholic ritual."

I suppose for the same reason she, an only child, is endlessly fascinated by stories of my five siblings. Curiosity about the other. And she's heard me speak fondly of my Catholic cultural heritage (mass, good grammar, parish polka fests, fish fry).

I'm not expecting a dickish homily for the most ornamental mass of the year, but if Morlino steps in it, my night won't be ruined. He's incidental to what makes the night special to me: evergreen boughs, the advent wreath, carols, incense, candlelight, and the familiar rhythms of the liturgy.

kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Postby kittenwithawhip » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:38 pm

devildog wrote: I was sort of hoping someone would post "Oh, you haven't heard? All the fun Madison Xmas orphans gather for sledding, followed by cocktails and food at <insert awesome place here>". I suspect that was wishful thinking. Sigh.

Maybe you should be the innovator to start the Traditional Madison Orphan Xmas Party?
If I didn't have Orphan Plans already, I'd totally be in!

eastml

Postby eastml » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:09 pm

If you're looking for a Christmas Eve service, Grace Episcopal on Capitol Sq is a beautiful church that has a very nice service at (I think) 10:30pm. There's a 45-minute long or so music program (organ solos and choir anthems) beforehand. Candles, the works. Check the website for times: graceec.org. Nice people, very welcoming.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:45 pm

Another nice musical Christmas service is at the Methodist church on the corner of Wisconsin and Johnson. They have two services that are always packed with people who, like me, want to listen to the music and not get too heavily preached-at. General good vibes. I always think it's nice of them to accommodate the nonbelievers so generously, sort of like Jewish families inviting non's to share a Seder.

You can park in a ramp across the street, too.

devildog

Postby devildog » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:40 pm

I really do have half a mind to start some sort of organized Orphans thing...

Thanks for the church recs - both sound right up our atheist alley.

Interestingly, I decided to look for some volunteer opportunities, thinking that the regular volunteers might want the weekend off. But no! Nobody (ok, well, 3 places) have told me they don't need help. It's equally heartening and not, at the same time!

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:37 pm

devildog wrote:Interestingly, I decided to look for some volunteer opportunities, thinking that the regular volunteers might want the weekend off. But no! Nobody (ok, well, 3 places) have told me they don't need help. It's equally heartening and not, at the same time!

I recently heard a radio guest that worked with Milwaukee area charities say that, generally speaking, they get plenty of help over the Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. It's the rest of the year when they could really use more volunteers stepping forward.

devildog

Postby devildog » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:48 am

Yeah, I'm left feeling a bit ashamed for being only a fair weather volunteer.

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:04 pm

I'm working both days so fuck up and I'll take you jail for the turkey roll, blue scrubs, and flip flops experience. You might be able to watch Mass on TV. If Tiny lets you, that is.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:49 pm

Walter, sorry you have to work on Xmas. But somebody has to, I guess.

Good thing I will be out of town.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:13 pm

I second the Grace Episcopal recommendation. All the pomp and ceremony without the Morlino stench of stifling oppression.

Maeve
Forum Addict

Postby Maeve » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:39 pm

What time is Midnight Mass?
Is the Morino Catholic?

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:22 pm

The Mickey's open mike will be happening at 10pm.

I should warn you, though - there is a high chance for blasphemy and/or apostasy at this event.

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:37 pm

Madsci wrote:Walter, sorry you have to work on Xmas. But somebody has to, I guess.

Good thing I will be out of town.

I like to work Xmas. That's when the most interesting calls happen. On Christmas Day several years ago, I went to a domestic involving a male couple. Guy 1 called because Guy 2 beat him up and trashed the apartment. Guy 2 got mad because he was caught stealing Guy 1's methadone out of the lock box in the refrigerator. After busting up Guy 1's face, Guy 2 then stole Guy 1's car and drove to Racine. Drunk, of course.

This was around 9 o'clock in the morning and I was working for someone who wanted the day off to spend with family but couldn't get it.

Return to “Town Vibe”