Calling stuff off due to heat

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Calling stuff off due to heat

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:45 pm

So I get the recreational sports leagues being sort of gun shy about having people running around in this stuff, particularly because of lawsuits.

But I'm actually seeing that some folks are surprised that Concerts on the Square hasn't been called off, as though it's actually dangerous to sit on the grass and listen to music.

Nobody's forcing anyone to go to this thing, last time I checked (with the exception of some unfortunate kids) and it's a huge pain to reschedule. I mean, I'm going to be doing essentially the same thing in my backyard, minus the Abba tribute act and plus Bob Uecker.

Sheesh.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Calling stuff off due to heat

Postby supaunknown » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:10 pm

Was it last year that COTS cancelled due to coldish weather? Some excuse about the instruments not being able to play properly ... yet the high heat & humidity now is OK.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:34 pm

Cold, dry weather is much worse for fine wood orchestra instruments than warm, humid weather is. The contraction and lack of humidity can cause cracks in the wood. Plus, fingers don't work so well in colder temps, and the strings and bows don't respond very well.

However, I expect that if the concert were scheduled during the afternoon, they'd reconsider-- direct sunlight will heat an instrument up above the air temps, and the hide glue that holds those things together starts to get iffy. In the workshop the glue is heated to around 140 degrees for liquid application.

I'm still a little surprised they will still play tonight, as lots of sweat isn't great for the wood, strings, or lacquer on brass instruments either. Having played outside earlier this week for roughly the same amount of time they will tonight, I guarantee that both they and the instruments will be quite crabby.

But it's doable, and I'm sure scheduling considerations figure into it. Wonder who will show up. Die-hard Abba fans?

HamsterArmageddon
Forum Addict

Postby HamsterArmageddon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:40 pm

Just put a boom box up there. F it. Who cares?

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:51 pm

How's that amp repair coming along?

HamsterArmageddon
Forum Addict

Postby HamsterArmageddon » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:02 pm

ilikebeans wrote:How's that amp repair coming along?

Replaced the relay. Fixed.

okiebp

Postby okiebp » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:32 am

Where I am from it routinely got 100+ for a good part of the summer. The heat was just something you dealt with. It's hot. just prepare yourself for the heat

Return to “Town Vibe”