Madison unaffected by recession

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Madison unaffected by recession

Postby Shorty » Mon May 16, 2011 7:14 am

That's what this article says. But if the republicans get their budget repair bill things will change.

http://financiallyfit.yahoo.com/finance ... =ad0035&nc
Madison, Wis.

Reported GDP in 2009: $31.2 billion
Reported GDP today: $34.8 billion
Unemployment: 5.7%
Population change 2000-10: 11.6%

"If that 5.7% unemployment rate looks enticing, you should have been in Madison during the recession in 2009, when unemployment was at 3.5%. That's not a headline from The Onion, either, as the University of Wisconsin, the state government (protests and all) and the surrounding medical and biotech communities have largely shielded Madison from the recession's effects. Companies such as Spectrum Brands seem fairly happy here as well, which has created a business base that makes Wisconsin grads slightly more inclined to stay."

uwstudent
Forum Addict

Re: Madison unaffected by recession

Postby uwstudent » Tue May 17, 2011 3:10 pm

I would take those numbers with a grain of salt. The real National unemployment is arould 15% and not the 8-9% the Gov gives us. :?

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue May 17, 2011 3:26 pm

uwstudent wrote:I would take those numbers with a grain of salt. The real National unemployment is arould 15% and not the 8-9% the Gov gives us. :?

Figuring the real unemployment numbers are a little less than double the official estimates, that would mean we're running about five percent below the national average, would it not?

I like the photos. Colorado gets mountains, Austin has music, DC has the Capitol building, and for Madison we have protestors in winter coats holding up signs.

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Tue May 17, 2011 3:37 pm

Could be worse, we could be wearing foam cheese on our heads.

(I disagree about Madison being unaffected, btw. It's not exactly sunshine and puppies here for the white collar unemployed....)

Return to “Town Vibe”