The downtown plan

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: The downtown plan

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:33 am

Does this guy have any idea how quickly this plan is going to be shot down?

http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/art ... icle=32009

Is he insane? Even I think this one is out of place. Why would anyone spend the money to design and propose this, in this town, on it's most beloved street?

He'd have a better chance proposing a copper mine in that spot.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:30 am

Wow, is that ever ugly. Looks like a shrunken, squatty version of Weston Place.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:17 pm

Speechless.

ABCD

Postby ABCD » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:51 pm

narcoleptish wrote:
ABCD wrote:
For me the skyline of Madison is unique and gives it a sense of place. The skyline of Austin or Houston can be anywhere/everywhere USA and has no sense of place.

So, you're from Madison and you've never been to Texas? That's cool.

I went to elementary and high school in Texas many moons ago. One of those places being Houston.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:06 pm

Yeah, I new you were going to come back with something like that. Sorry for the smartassery, that's just me. Glad you like Madison.

In the Austin pic, is the capitol the glowing white one in the center? Doesn't seem like a capitol building.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:14 pm

narcoleptish wrote:In the Austin pic, is the capitol the glowing white one in the center? Doesn't seem like a capitol building.

No, I think the point is you can't see their capitol in that photo because it's blocked by other buildings. Their capitol looks a lot like ours, but is built from red granite.

Indianapolis is another city whose capitol is lost among taller buildings.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:40 pm

In the Austin pic, is the capitol the glowing white one in the center? Doesn't seem like a capitol building.

Actually, the thing in the pic looks more like the capitol of Nebraska:

http://capitol.org/building

Nebraska's capitol is a little on the art deco side and has a tower shape instead of a dome. Like our capitol, it sticks way up above neighboring buildings, but I don't know if that's on purpose or if Lincoln's got so much horizontal space around it no one in their right mind would build anything upward. It does look cool from the Interstate.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:00 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:Indianapolis is another city whose capitol is lost among taller buildings.

Or Chicago! Man, is the capitol hard to find there. Seattle, too. And sometimes I wonder if LA and NYC even are the capitals of their states...

[/snark]

I think the idea that the state's capital doesn't have to be the biggest, brightest, and pointiest city in the state is a pleasant one.* If the Madison skyline doesn't grow up much taller than it is now, I won't be exceptionally disappointed. I think it's quite picturesque as it is.

*But dammit, it should be the best! Amirite? WHO'S WITH ME?

MadMind75
Forum Addict

Postby MadMind75 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:10 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Does this guy have any idea how quickly this plan is going to be shot down?
http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/art ... icle=32009" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is he insane? Even I think this one is out of place. Why would anyone spend the money to design and propose this, in this town, on it's most beloved street?

I don't see what the big deal is. Doesn't look that out of place to me. I say let's bulldoze State St. and put up some skyscrapers, and move that damned UW out into Middleton or Verona or some shit. :D
Last edited by MadMind75 on Wed May 20, 2015 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:33 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
green union terrace chair wrote:Indianapolis is another city whose capitol is lost among taller buildings.

Or Chicago! Man, is the capitol hard to find there. Seattle, too. And sometimes I wonder if LA and NYC even are the capitals of their states...

[/snark]

I think the idea that the state's capital doesn't have to be the biggest, brightest, and pointiest city in the state is a pleasant one.* If the Madison skyline doesn't grow up much taller than it is now, I won't be exceptionally disappointed. I think it's quite picturesque as it is.

*But dammit, it should be the best! Amirite? WHO'S WITH ME?

And what do you think the capital of Indiana is?

ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:42 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:I think the idea that the state's capital doesn't have to be the biggest, brightest, and pointiest city in the state is a pleasant one.* If the Madison skyline doesn't grow up much taller than it is now, I won't be exceptionally disappointed. I think it's quite picturesque as it is.

And what do you think the capital of Indiana is?

Heh.

Being the biggest, brightest, pointiest city in the state isn't necessarily a useful goal, I'll agree with TBP there - but we should at least hope to be a city that will be bigger, brighter, and pointier in the future, relative to present day Madison. If we can't outshine Milwaukee in a decade, so be it. But we should at least be able to outshine Madison circa 1980, 1990, or 2000, a decade from now.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Mon Jan 31, 2011 5:48 pm

green union terrace chair wrote:And what do you think the capital of Indiana is?

That's not what I meant, but I grant my joke was poorly segued.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:21 pm

MadMind75 wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:Does this guy have any idea how quickly this plan is going to be shot down?
http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/art ... icle=32009

I don't see what the big deal is. Doesn't look that out of place to me.

Well, my point was that this is Madison, a city populated by those wonderful magic people who oppose both tall buildings and urban sprawl. But I do think that building is out of proportion for that spot.

TheBookPolice wrote: If the Madison skyline doesn't grow up much taller than it is now, I won't be exceptionally disappointed. I think it's quite picturesque as it is.

If someone can stop Dane county's population growth, I'm all in. The day Sun Prairie hooks up with East Towne Mall, we might as well just abandon the northeast side like a trapped wolf chewing off his leg.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:34 pm

narcoleptish wrote:The day Sun Prairie hooks up with East Towne Mall...

wait a sec....it doesn't already?

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:39 pm

jman111 wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:The day Sun Prairie hooks up with East Towne Mall...

wait a sec....it doesn't already?

You're thinking of West Towne and Verona--they hook up all the time, although their parents don't realize it.

Return to “Town Vibe”