Rutledge St. marijuana bust

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
nabmobile

Rutledge St. marijuana bust

Postby nabmobile » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:15 am

The news has given few details about the search & siezure at 1858 Rutledge that happened on 1/5. Surely, someone has the inside scoop... Did the neighbors have suspicions about this grow house? What are the tenants of the house like and how long were they there? Why have no arrests been made?

LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Re: Rutledge St. marijuana bust

Postby LargeMarge » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:37 pm

I know a couple of people in the neighborhood. They had no clue that there was a grow house until the bust. They didn't know the people. The couple that lived there kept to themselves.

wandering_bear

Postby wandering_bear » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:43 pm

These guys were basically my next door neighbors. Both very friendly, but yes they did keep to themselves. I didn't get to know them super well, but they were always nice people.
However I often did smell pot around their house. Either when I would walk by their front yard, or standing in their driveway (their house shares a driveway with the one next door). It was obvious that they were at least smoking a lot if not growing...

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:03 pm

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:28 pm

Muggings, robberies and beatings DAILY, but the police have time to go through the trash multiple times.

Glad we have our priorities straight, keeping the real criminals off the street.

nabmobile

Postby nabmobile » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:01 pm

The incident report sites that the probe was initiated by a citizen complaint but according to the search warrant, these people have been on the radar since Summer of 2009. I wonder if there really was a complaint given the pot-friendly neighborhood, unless of course there was unwanted traffic coming to the house. Lots of kids on that block... Or maybe the the City just makes the police aware any time an electric bill shoots up and then they dumpster dive your trash?

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:25 pm

It sounds it was like the owner of the Basset St. dumpster was who brought them to police attention. Maybe there was an envelope with a name and address in there along with the pot residue.

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:38 pm

I read that MGE also tipped off their excessive electricity use for a residence their size. Is that something they usually do? (Not that I'm growing pot plants or anything, but still...it's a little creepy.)

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:07 pm

The whole thing kicked off in 2009 because they dumped a considerable amount of plant "chaff", for the lack of a better term, after harvesting in a dumpster across town. The property owner on Bassett was sick of the someone using the same car dumping trash in his dumpster over and over and got the plate and made a complaint.

Before we go across town and pound on someone's door, we're going to look into the bag to see if there's anything in there to tie it to the address where the car is registered. Or see if there's a human head in there, right? Forewarned is forearmed. The cops open up the bag and find the remains of the harvest. I don't remember if there was anything in 2009 other than the plant remains in the bag but that led to looking at how much electricity the residence where the car was registered to was using. The house was using 10 times the amount of electricity than the neighbors were using. MG&E doesn't alert us if there's a high energy use, we go to them and get the information. I'm not sure if a subpoena is needed or not. If it is needed, we get one.

Then the Central Policing Team did a "knock and talk" there and didn't find much, at least not enough to make any arrests or forward any charges as far as I remember. They were told the energy bill was so high due to electric heat...except the house has a gas furnace. Right after the knock and talk, the energy use dropped right to where the neighbors were. Hmmm. So anyway, there's enough suspicion that there's a grow op there if you look at the totality of the circumstances.

Fast forward and it was found that after several months, the electric bills were back up to $500 a month. A few trash picks from the curb later and there's multiple separate instances of evidence collected of a grow op tied to that particular residence. Courts have ruled when you put your trash out on the curb that it is essentially abandoned property and the expectation of privacy no longer exists. So hence the search warrant.

You've heard in the press what was found. $17k in cash, 4 pounds of weed, lots of plants. There is some other info that was not released that indicates this was indeed an on-going op that generated a lot of money. Like add a few zeroes and now we're talking about REAL money.

Pot friendly or not, I don't get real excited about personal use since less than 113g is not a crime in a public place in Madison. However, that kind of money and amount of weed found on Rutledge can attract criminal attention. Bad criminal attention.
The majority of "home invasions" in Madison are drug rips where either customers or small dealers forcibly enter a house where they know or think they know there is a stash of weed and money. When I say majority, I don't mean 51% of them.

My neighbors might be nice quiet people who keep to themselves but they might also have some nasty visitors some night if they are growing weed and I would hate it if they came to the wrong door. I don't think anybody wants to see their family or roommates tied up and beaten while a couple of guys with masks over their faces ransack the wrong house. How would you feel if it happened to the nice, quiet neighbors who kept to themselves? If someone wants to have a grow op, the drug rip is an occupational hazard but don't do it in a residential neighborhood where others could be placed in jeopardy.

So, yeah, we do have time to do trash picks and try to shut down grow ops when they come to our attention, especially when they are done by a unit tasked with dealing with specific problems of an ongoing nature that patrol cops don't have the time or resources to pursue over several months.

The bottom line is that grow ops are illegal at this time in the State of Wisconsin. We all know this. Joe Growabale, if you roll the dice, you take your chances.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:35 pm

All that work to build an undercover growing operation that no one in the neighborhood suspects is there, and then they go and dump extremely incriminating evidence, repeatedly, in the same highly visible spot. And the dumping causes aggravation for the owner.

I guess, in hindsight, they probably realize they might have used a more complicated and clandestine process to get rid of the chaff.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:26 pm

"Oh man, now my pants are chafing me." - Jimbo Jones

roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:43 pm

Compost that stuff. You can add the pot-contaminated newspaper as well. Add coffee grounds, and that stuff will be gone faster than the brownies at a Harvest Fest.

Seriously, they couldn't find a more discreet place to dump their garbage?

And anyone can find out the average energy usage for pretty much any residential unit in Madison on MG&E's web site.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:27 pm

roadkill bill wrote:Compost that stuff. You can add the pot-contaminated newspaper as well. Add coffee grounds, and that stuff will be gone faster than the brownies at a Harvest Fest.

Are you sure it would bio-degrade to the point where, if the compost was then used as outdoor fertilizer, that they wouldn't start seeing pot plants sprouting up in their rose garden?

They probably should've taken the big hint and gotten out of the illegal growing biz after the police came to their house and questioned them the first time. The legal penalties are huge (prison, property, etc.), unjust considering the relative sinlessness of the crime itself, but that's currently the law.

EastSideTom
Forum Addict

Postby EastSideTom » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:21 am

Andy Moore captures the "East Side Vibe" quite nicely here:
http://www.thedailypage.com/isthmus/art ... icle=31934

roadkill bill
Forum God/Goddess

Postby roadkill bill » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:04 pm

supaunknown wrote:
roadkill bill wrote:Compost that stuff. You can add the pot-contaminated newspaper as well. Add coffee grounds, and that stuff will be gone faster than the brownies at a Harvest Fest.

Are you sure it would bio-degrade to the point where, if the compost was then used as outdoor fertilizer, that they wouldn't start seeing pot plants sprouting up in their rose garden?

There are seeds way more hardy than pot in my compost, and I rarely have any trouble. The only thing that tends to come back are the squash, but that's because I throw lots and lots of squash seeds in the compost, and those babies are tough.

Besides, if a couple do sprout, you just pull them out. Hell, ya gotta weed the garden anyway.

Most seeds are destroyed if the compost pile is hot enough. Putting something with lots of nitrogen - like coffee grounds - in there will heat up the pile pretty fast. YMMV

Return to “Town Vibe”