Barefoot woman

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
seashells

Barefoot woman

Postby seashells » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:34 pm

This morning Mr. Seashells and I saw the older, mostly toothless woman who usually pushes a broom along the sidewalks. Today she was shoveling snow, hopefully for some cash, at the business next to Lazy Janes (I don't know what business is there these days). As usual, she had bare feet.

In the snow. In temperatures in the teens.

She smiled and waved at us, and we said hello back. Is there something to be done about this woman? How can she NOT be endangering herself, walking in bare feet in this weather? It felt very strange to simply walk away and leave her to her own devices, and I wonder if there was someone I should have called to check into her welfare.
Last edited by seashells on Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Barefoot woman

Postby Galoot » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:45 pm

She's been doing that for years. You could just mind your own business. Yeah, I think she's mostly nuts myself (and I'm a big fan of going barefoot) but she doesn't seem to be suffering.

She did say that she drinks a lot less water in the winter; apparently keeping her feet a bit dehydrated reduces the thermal conduction. So she has ways to cope with the cold.

There are people who run barefoot for miles on snowy surfaces. I can't do that, but just because I can't, doesn't mean that I want to tell others that they can't.

seashells

Postby seashells » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:03 pm

Okay, galoot. I suppose if her feet are somehow immune to frostbite, or if she is aware of the dangers and knows when to go inside or put something on her feet, then she's okay. It's good to know that; thank you.

I am perfectly happy with minding my own business as long as no one is being hurt. I suppose she's on police/adult welfare's radar already?

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:09 pm

Mostly nuts...yeah. A Willy fixture since...forever. She generates calls by concerned citizens every winter. I don't think I've ever seen her sport footwear no matter the season. There's a building on the corner of Willy and Ingersoll where she and her compatriots call home. They dispense medication from an office around the corner on the first floor.

She sweeps shoeless subzero. Temps in the teens is like walking on South Beach to her.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:27 pm

The Yaghans went naked at the tip of South America. That freaked out Magellan, just like the barefoot-in-the-snow lady did to seashells.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:28 pm

I talk with her whenever I see her around the coop. She's actually a good conversationalist and surprisingly well read. Once she said to me she thought it was healthier to keep your feet bare, and she says she doesn't go out in super-cold weather but I don't know where she draws the line on that. She seems to know what she wants, so it's live and let live. I kinda like her just for refusing to give in to normality.

I've got years of amazing conversations I've had with various Madison crazies. It's like my own personal anthropology project.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Sun Dec 12, 2010 11:30 pm

snoqueen wrote:I've got years of amazing conversations I've had with various Madison crazies. It's like my own personal anthropology project.

Have you considered writing it down and making the stories available? I love reading tales of and from the not-so-"normal".

cattyrood

Postby cattyrood » Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:04 am

sno & beans: I second the motion!

jhain
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jhain » Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:18 am

If she wears socks they make her feet bleed.

She is very nice and, as mentioned above, well-read and a good conversationalist.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:09 am

greeneyedlady

Postby greeneyedlady » Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:41 am

For concerned folks, someone I know tried to give her shoes once (for the cold weather) and she didn't want them. So yeah, it's time now to mind our own (well-intentioned) business. :D

KidCapitol
Forum Addict

Postby KidCapitol » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:08 am

seashells wrote:This morning Mr. Seashells and I saw the older, mostly toothless woman who usually pushes a broom along the sidewalks. Today she was shoveling snow, hopefully for some cash, at the business next to Lazy Janes (I don't know what business is there these days). As usual, she had bare feet.

In the snow. In temperatures in the teens.

She smiled and waved at us, and we said hello back. Is there something to be done about this woman? How can she NOT be endangering herself, walking in bare feet in this weather? It felt very strange to simply walk away and leave her to her own devices, and I wonder if there was someone I should have called to check into her welfare.

If your so concerned about her then you should talk to her directly instead of running over here and asking us where your going to get a bunch of speculation and bullshit.
Remind me to never keel over in front of you foron morons. Instead of calling 911 for help, you'll just come onto here and post: "Some guy just keeled over in front of me. What should I do?"
Sheesh.

Return to “Town Vibe”