Narrowing Willy st.

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Narrowing Willy st.

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:22 am

At the risk of waking a certain foron and starting another Eastwood Dr. thread, I give you a this:

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/a ... 03286.html

I was unaware that it was going to be narrower. While this is a nice idea, it sounds like the makings for a more chaotic street. Only so many people are going to make the switch over to E Wash permanently for their rush hour commute, and if massive numbers of people were to do it they'd have to re-work the 2-lane feed off of Blair to keep traffic from backing up to Willy.

Growing city
3 arterial options through town
Let's make one of them smaller?

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Narrowing Willy st.

Postby rabble » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:13 am

Now I see why they're so dead set against the Jenny St entrance. With Willy being harder to navigate, the new driveway will become the main entrance almost immediately.

persia
Forum Addict

Postby persia » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:39 am

Can they sort of make it disappear and only come back once a century like Brigadoon? That would be cool.

c02
Forum Addict

Postby c02 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:48 am

Gee, years of lower rent housing surrounding a crumbling, congested road and nothing. Enter new condos, townhomes, money and suddenly something needs to be done. Didn't see that coming. :roll:

If I am in the market for a home it's a fairly simple formula. If I don't like the road, I won't buy a place. If I don't like the area the land is in, I won't buy the land. Is it really that difficult a concept to wrap one's head around? Willy has been overly congested for years. This isn't new.

HOMOsapien

Postby HOMOsapien » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:10 am

That's why Robbie Webber, Logan, and Marsha Rummel are advocating what they are advocating, they don't want Willy St. to be arterial (this has been known for the past decade), they want it to be "walkable." Count how many times they say "traffic calming" the next time you speak with them; funny hippie buzz term by the way.

This was on the list serves months ago. Its been decided. Don't fight PD power in that neighborhood, they call the shots.

Bike access anyone? Webber admits it was sacrificed to increase restrictions on cars.

The Willy St. area is fast becoming insular, they don't want outsiders moving through "their" neighborhood. This isn't news in this town.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:18 am

Thanks all knowing HOMO for your insight. Does anyone want the street they live of to be arterial? Or is it just hippies?

Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:50 pm

You know how East Wash was during the lane closures these past couple of months? Get used to it.

I can't wait for the SASY listserv to light up with complaints when the traffic dumped onto First and Milwaukee during the construction doesn't let up afterwards.
fisticuffs wrote:Does anyone want the street they live of to be arterial? Or is it just hippies?

It's one thing to be against transforming a quiet residential street into an arterial road. It's another to complain about the road that's always been there.

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:52 pm

I, for on, purposely live on an arterial. After living in Wilmar off of Willy for many years, moved away because I want my street plowed promptly and well, and the bus route is a big plus.

SombreroFallout
Forum God/Goddess

Postby SombreroFallout » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:05 pm

narcoleptish wrote:I was unaware that it was going to be narrower.

[Edited to reflect new/accurate info] It had been my understanding that parts of the 6-block stretch Schneider refers to were already at 44' or 46', but that appears to be a miscommunication. [/edit]

Street width from Baldwin to the Yahara is now 42', so the project does not begin to approach the hardship some are making it out to be.

Narrowing and traffic calming treatments increases safety without losing appreciable traffic throughput. If you want a vital and active retail district, you have to invest in streetscapes that make it a desirable destination. Otherwise, you're defaulting to the position that a few hundred seconds of a driver's time is worth more than the life of that kid crossing the street or that retired cyclist hit on Atwood. And worth more than the economic return, the quality of life, the environmental benefits.

(By 'you' I don't mean narcoleptish, but the general, plural 'you' objecting to the project as the work of schizophrenic bolsheviks.)
Last edited by SombreroFallout on Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:25 pm

What "traffic calming" methods are they going use? In many places they've put obstructions in the road that make it impossible to plow in winter, and cause accidents. You definitely want to fight those.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:35 pm

What "traffic calming" methods are they going use?

The entire sewer system is being converted into a huge elaborate water bong.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:32 pm

SombreroFallout wrote:[
It's not going to be narrower. The writer erred on that point.

Really? I reread it and there's so much talk of narrowing it......do all those people have it wrong?

From the article:

"They also want Williamson to be a laboratory for high-tech strategies to make city streets more sustainable.........I want to start a conversation on the sustainability of streets,” Rummel said in a later interview."

When I first read this I thought it was typical meaningless overuse of every eastsiders current favorite word, but it sounds like they're pushing for actual alternative materials to build the streets with. That's something I would find interesting considering the way typical roads hold up to our Wisconsin weather.

I gotta question how big trees and cafe seating will have any effect on people's tendency to speed.

One person in the article mentions how narrower lanes will mostly be detrimental to people's ability to park. How good of an idea is that on Willy where off-street parking is a luxury that few businesses have?

Bikes? Why insist on riding a bike on Willy, with safer options a block either way?

HOMOsapien

Postby HOMOsapien » Thu Dec 09, 2010 7:57 pm

narcoleptish wrote:Bikes? Why insist on riding a bike on Willy, with safer options a block either way?

I agree with you. I typically use the two streets you speak of when moving back and forth from downtown to home. From time to time I ride with the cars on Willy. It's a trip.

If this is to be done, I agree with narrowing the street. Really, I don't care either way.

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:29 am

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/article_f7ea464e-0303-11e0-952e-001cc4c03286.html

Cap Times says the terraces increase by 2 feet on each side reducing traffic lanes from 11 ft to 10 ft and parking lanes from 13 ft to 12 ft. Sounds like the street ends up at 44 ft with no bike lanes

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:26 am

HOMOsapien wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:Bikes? Why insist on riding a bike on Willy, with safer options a block either way?

I agree with you. I typically use the two streets you speak of when moving back and forth from downtown to home. From time to time I ride with the cars on Willy. It's a trip.

If this is to be done, I agree with narrowing the street. Really, I don't care either way.

I ride East Wilson but I feel no more comfortable on Jenifer Street than I do on Willy. The residents can shout all they want about how that driveway is going to make the street too busy and take away their quality of life but the fact is it's already too busy, especially during rush hour when there's more buses, more road-raged drivers, and more bicyclists who think it's a fine thing to amble down the middle of the lane in front of a line of traffic.

Spaight Street, now that's a nice comfortable street for biking. And Rutledge.

Return to “Town Vibe”