car living

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
carlife
Member
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:15 am

Re: car living

Postby carlife » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:01 pm

wow thanks for the great advice, all, especially jackisonian for all of those locations to checkout. also snoqueen, i'm pretty sure the area you're describing is the area i was familiar with back when i did live in madison, so it's good to know that might still be an option. As far as the alternate side parking goes, hopefully that won't be a big deal.

i was looking at the city's website trying to decode the snow emergency rules - it seems to imply that you can park in one of the downtown parking ramps for free in a snow emergency so that your vehicle is off the street for those 48 hours, and as distasteful as i find it i guess i could shelter up for those 2 nights. Either that or drink a lot of coffee and hang out in helen c white library or something lol, at 30-something i can still pass for a college student i think. the other day a parent giving their kid a campus tour asked me my impressions of the schooling offered at the uw campus i was on.

thanks all

jackisonian
Forum Addict
Posts: 117
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:55 pm
Contact:

Re: car living

Postby jackisonian » Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:34 pm

I officially discourage your choice of car camping. It is happening everywhere though and you wouldn't be the only one, be safe.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 9440
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:50 pm

Re: car living

Postby rabble » Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:22 pm

carlife wrote:i was looking at the city's website trying to decode the snow emergency rules - it seems to imply that you can park in one of the downtown parking ramps for free in a snow emergency so that your vehicle is off the street for those 48 hours, and as distasteful as i find it i guess i could shelter up for those 2 nights.

The way I understand it is that you get to park there free all night but not after 7 AM. I think the hours are something like 8 PM to 7 AM. Definitely you can't park there for free for a continuous 48 hours.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 4224
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:43 pm
Location: Dane County
Contact:

Re: car living

Postby jman111 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:26 pm

rabble wrote:
carlife wrote:i was looking at the city's website trying to decode the snow emergency rules - it seems to imply that you can park in one of the downtown parking ramps for free in a snow emergency so that your vehicle is off the street for those 48 hours, and as distasteful as i find it i guess i could shelter up for those 2 nights.

The way I understand it is that you get to park there free all night but not after 7 AM. I think the hours are something like 8 PM to 7 AM. Definitely you can't park there for free for a continuous 48 hours.

Agreed. I made the mistake of trying to get into a ramp prior to 8pm during a declared emergency last year. They wanted me to pay. I "politely" declined.

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 866
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:24 am
Location: Revival tent of the live-wire handlers

Re: car living

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:45 pm

Make sure your antifreeze is mixed with water in a 50-50 ratio. That way it is still liquid when the temperature is -15.

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 14256
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 2:48 pm
Contact:

Re: car living

Postby Ned Flanders » Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:05 pm

Pretend you're "tailgating" in Lot 60.

If a cop comes by, tell 'em you want to be the first in line for 2011 women's softball season tickets.

David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 917
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: Stately Blaska Manor
Contact:

Re: car living

Postby David Blaska » Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:55 pm

If you're going to drink a lot of coffee, park on Madame Brenda's curb. Make some yellow snow, she won't mind.

bmasel
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 1702
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2001 6:06 pm
Contact:

Re: car living

Postby bmasel » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:00 pm

David Blaska wrote:If you're going to drink a lot of coffee, park on Madame Brenda's curb. Make some yellow snow, she won't mind.


Parking in front of Blaska's "Stately manor' will provide many hours of family entertainment.

David Blaska
Forum God/Goddess
Posts: 917
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:00 pm
Location: Stately Blaska Manor
Contact:

Re: car living

Postby David Blaska » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:14 pm

Family entertainment? Actually, we're NC-17 rated.

TimeMasterFlex
Senior Member
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:45 pm
Location: Madison
Contact:

Re: car living

Postby TimeMasterFlex » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:02 pm

People who live in cars are vagrants and the city needs to pull them out of their cars, impound the cars, and throw the vagrant in jail.

This is what we do in New York City, and it is quite effective.

Don't let your streets go 'ghetto' Madison.


Return to “Town Vibe”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests