car living

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
carlife

car living

Postby carlife » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:44 am

Ok so I'm looking for some real advice about living in my car in madison wisconsin. This won't be my first time being homeless, but it will be my first time homeless with a vehicle. Now before you tell me "there's a shelter at..." I know all about shelters, and if you are homeless and you can avoid a shelter in any manner whether it be your car, a friends house, heck even outside if it isn't january (i wont be officially homeless until 12:01 AM on January 7th) than you are better off doing that. If you value what few possessions you still possess, your health (I know people who have contracted tuberculosis from staying in shelters) and your sanity you will stay the *(&& away from any homeless shelter. Also avoiding hearing the come to jesus speech you will likely encounter is an added bonus. Also, I don't need to be browbeat about being a lazy bum - you'll find the majority of homeless people really want to work - its only the most visible and perhaps vocal homeless are often our worst representatives i.e. panhandlers. Okay, meat of the post now and sorry for the aside - I currently live in wisconsin but outside the greater madison area - I last lived in madison in 2003 - but my chance for success for obtaining employment and digging myself out of this situation is slim to none where I am currently located. So I am planning on returning to madison to try to make a go of it - you can also spare me any comments on oh great another bum or another person added to an already grim job market - i won't be competing with you unless the job you are seeking is located at taco bell or any of the many other minimum wage type jobs i am going to try to obtain at first. when I was last here, there was a certain spot where car - livers congregated - there were a few hippy buses as well as plenty of ppl who were living the lifestyle not by choice but necessity - and I would talk to them sometimes and generally they seemed well and didn't really seem to have a problem with police harassment. In case that spot is still viable, I will refrain revealing its location in this post. Hopefully that place still exists, and ppl can still sleep in their cars and not be bothered by police - but i have heard the climate has changed in madison in recent years - basically since 2008 when that cute college girl was murdered and for no other reason than it occured within a couple blocks of grace episcopal homeless shelter (an area that also happens to be at some point visited by every single person living in madison lol) the homeless community fell under a good deal of suspicion and since then the cops have been have adopted the same sort of tactics many other cities use to basically force homeless people to leave and be homeless somewhere else - vagrancy laws and such. can anyone suggest possible other viable locations to park and sleep at night and not be harassed? options i am considering - one of the metro park and ride lots is 48 hours and i'm sure it is police patrolled but in a bind i could use that for an overnight, 24 hr shopping place parking lots in the very far employee parking area - i've seen wal mart mentioned a lot in blogs but with all the cameras and stuff at them i'm not very keen on that idea. I've also heard that interstate rest stops are not a good idea either if you don't enjoy being woken up by a nightstick rapping on your window. I've heard that perhaps visitor parking in a large apartment complex is viable if again, you change location frequently. Find several and rotate. I've also considered looking into the possibility of perhaps enrolling in 1 class at UW and buying a pass to park in the student long term parking lot. Long term parking at airports pre september 11 used to be a viable option too I hear, not so much anymore. I do possess a car cover to try to minimize on the prying eyes and the resulting OMG there is a person sleeping in a car call the police reaction, and I would basically be using whatever spot i decide to bed down from about 9pm to 5am or so. if any of you have any suggestions I appreciate it
Thanks

HOMOsapien

Re: car living

Postby HOMOsapien » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:29 pm

Someone needs to check to OP's IP address. Is it coming from the library or Sheppy's bedroom?

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:38 pm

I hear Middleton is nice

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:45 pm

You've got a car (and a computer too?), yet no real prospects and no shelter come January 7th? Do yourself a favor and drive that car down south for the winter monthes. I've heard that a large percentage of homeless people suffer from mental illness. You'd have to be crazy to want to live in your car through a Wisconsin winter.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:48 pm

My advice: paragraph breaks.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:37 pm

Mmmm, bunch a cases of the Mondays? We can talk to people through the gate without opening you know.

The two places I've seen the camper guys parking this last year are the new section of Winnebago that runs through the stalled Union Corners project at the corner of E Wash and Milwaukee st.

Commercial ave between Sherman ave and Packers near Hartmeyer ice arena.

Good luck, but you really should head south. (but I'm sure that's obvious and you have your reasons)

carlife

Postby carlife » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:08 pm

thanks for the good advice narcoleptish - i will have to investigate those areas. As far as southern migration - in a perfect world that is what i would do, but from personal experience being homeless in an area you are totally unfamiliar with - don't know anybody and don't know how to get around - is about a million times worse than being homeless in a place where you may know a few people and how to get around. Staying warm isnt an issue - if you are at least shielded from the wind in a car you can sleep outdoors quite easily simply by wearing a few layers/blankets.

Also, sorry for the lack of paragraph breaks. meh.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:55 pm

Who's the guy who parks the little tan canned-ham style trailer on the industrial streets north and east of MG&E all year round? If you can find him, I bet he knows a thing or two. Maybe he can help you out.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:07 pm

If you do stay on a street, be aware of alternate side parking rules. Remembering that and having to reposition yourself every day is a good argument for a parking lot.

Good luck linding work. You should be able to find something around here.

jackisonian
Forum Addict

Postby jackisonian » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:16 pm

Lots of car campers in town if you keep your eyes open. South side near Wingra creek, Milwaukee and E wash, Baldwin and Wilson Pennsylvania and Commercial, Femrite and Copps. I think commercially zoned places tend to be more tolerant of this.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:12 pm

You might have a look at the Sunset Village area. There are a number of off-street parking areas on the street terrace. As long as you don't block a driveway, you're good to park. It's not technically legal, but practically speaking, it might as well be.

wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:42 am

jackisonian wrote:Lots of car campers in town if you keep your eyes open. South side near Wingra creek, Milwaukee and E wash, Baldwin and Wilson Pennsylvania and Commercial, Femrite and Copps. I think commercially zoned places tend to be more tolerant of this.

Yeah, I tangentially knew a guy that was a self-described "freegan" that lived in his Jeep. He had a weekly rotation of places to park for the night, mostly focusing on these areas. But to my knowledge he only did this during the warmer months.

Athena
Forum Addict

Postby Athena » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:53 am

I've seen a couple of semis parking overnight at the old grocery store (Cub or Copps) next to Home Depot near the beltline and Verona Road. They mostly park in the back of the lot or on the side street that goes past there.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:42 pm

IamAloneInTheCar.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:43 pm

Average Joe wrote:IamAloneInTheCar.

In a van by the river...

Return to “Town Vibe”