Squirrel problems

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Squirrel problems

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:20 pm

Beav, do you pay dues to a condo association? If so, take it up with them. Maybe they are required by their bylaws to take care of it.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:50 pm

supaunknown wrote: it had chewed a hole in the ceiling of the closet and dropped in unannounced.

What was it supposed to do, knock? Ring the doorbell?

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:58 pm

gargantua wrote:
supaunknown wrote: it had chewed a hole in the ceiling of the closet and dropped in unannounced.

What was it supposed to do, knock? Ring the doorbell?

Maybe call first? Of course you're right. I shouldn't expect manners from outside our species.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:52 pm

Convince the Chinese that squirrel bones ward off illness, maximize virility and increase the chances of having a male child. They'll be near extinction in a year.

c02
Forum Addict

Postby c02 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 6:54 pm

supaunknown wrote:Maybe call first? Of course you're right. I shouldn't expect manners from outside our species.

It's a bit of a sketchy proposition to expect it in ours as well.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:35 pm

I wonder if squirrel fur would make a good coat?

Keep in mind moth balls can make an area stinky for you too. I tried that to keep rabbits from burrowing under my patio. I ended up stinking up the whole basement. Really a squirrel problem should be a condo association problem.

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:54 pm

Figure out which squirrel is the top boss squirrel. Attempt to discuss with him or her the subject of mutual territorial boundaries. Do so with respect. If respect is not granted in reciprocation, well, you know what to do.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:22 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
Yes we plead innocence. Beavers are not pests who ruin people's homes.

More pro-beaver lies. Beavers dam up waterways that flood peoples homes all the time. Google "Beaver Deceiver" to see how serious this problem is. I watch the Animal Planet and I'm on to you beav.

Who could forget the terror of this thread?

"Space Beavers ruined my home...and my life!!!

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:35 pm

Set one of these out as example to the rest:

Then invite Walter over.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:36 pm

Bwis53 wrote:I tried that to keep rabbits from burrowing under my patio.

Slight threadjack-- any luck fixing this problem?

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:52 pm

Owl decoys might work. You should be able to buy decoys with motion sensors that trigger movement and sound to appear more realistic and threatening to the little critters they're supposed to scare away.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:47 pm

ilikebeans wrote:
Bwis53 wrote:I tried that to keep rabbits from burrowing under my patio.

Slight threadjack-- any luck fixing this problem?

This was my old townhouse patio. I once squirted a rabbit full in the face and eyes, with critter repellent. He was back the next day. I think they wanted to burrow to the wall area, which had a slight leak to the basement rec room. That's why the moth balls stunk up the whole room. (And made a warm area for rabbits.) I removed the moth balls. The area next to the patio had rocks. I got a lot more rocks and pushed as many as I could to block the attractive area from the rabbits. That seemed to help. I also noticed a couple of wandering cats.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:29 am

Henry Vilas wrote:Beav, do you pay dues to a condo association? If so, take it up with them. Maybe they are required by their bylaws to take care of it.

I pay dues to a condo association and in the past they have always handled the problem by paying for a trap from pest control. It's not in the bylaws but is in the policies that can be changed by the association. I would think wild animal control is something that should be handled by the association according to WI condo laws but I haven't been able to find any WI condo laws at all.

The traps have not been effective because after one squirrel is removed more squirrels keep coming. They say it's a waste of money and are fed up so starting this Summer they changed the policy and now expect owners to handle squirrel problems and pay for it. I agree traps are a waste of money but don't think owners should be responsible for wild animal control and problems. So I am looking for a better solution and will try to get the association to pay for it.

Detritus wrote:Here's what I did a couple of years ago when I had squirrels in my attic (NOT speaking metaphorically here....)

1. Scare the buggers outta there by making a lot of noise.
2. Close up the hole they found/created.
3. Cover the fixed hole with chickenwire.
4. Spray the whole shebang with wasp/hornet repellent.

The chickenwire and wasp/hornet repellent deals with the fact that squirrels are persistent critters--they tend to try to get back in the way they did the last time. They don't like the taste of galvanized wire or bug spray. I'd heard about the mothballs (paradichlorobenzene), but the point is to keep them out, not to spread them around the attic once they've gotten back in.

I'm unclear about step 2 versus 3. Close the hole how, by replacing the wood? If the hole is closed then there is no hole to cover with wire. I did try these steps:

1. I scared the buggers outta there by making a lot of noise.
2. I covered the hole with one way screen (but did not close the hole).

They came back and dug a new hole, laughing all the way. Maybe I will spray it to see if that helps.
Average Joe wrote:Owl decoys might work.

Interesting idea. I will shop around. Are these sold around town?

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:12 am

First Dave Esmond beats me to the joke and then there's this.

ilikebeans wrote:Set one of these out as example to the rest:

Then invite Walter over.

You SOB!

For what it is worth, I do the mothball thing when I put the motorcycle up for the winter to keep the wire chewers away. Of course, that only stinks up the garage since my wife doesn't let me bring the bike in house.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:23 am

Beaver wrote:"Using Moth Balls in the attic to get squirrels out of your attic is illegal in all 50 States because it is toxic to humans and pets."

<<Cue Chief Wiggum>>

Well, shut my mouth. It's also illegal to put squirrels down your pants for the purposes of gambling.

Return to “Town Vibe”