Squirrel problems

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Squirrel problems

Postby Beaver » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:32 pm

Where I live the downstairs unit has an enclosed screened-in porch with a deck above it for the upstairs unit. Between the porch roof and deck is an enclosed area covered by wood boards. Squirrels like to make a hole in the wood boards and make a nest in the enclosed area. From there they could make a hole going into our building and move into the crawl spaces or attic. Once inside a bldng they can chew insulation, dry wall, pipes, or wiring which creates a fire hazard. So this is potentially a serious problem.

We have tried using traps from a pest control company to remove the squirrels. However, after the problem squirrel is removed new squirrels arrive to take over the nest or territory and create the same problem. Traps haven't been effective and are costly. We tried installing a one-way screen over a squirrel hole where the squirrels can get out but can't get back in. However, the squirrels just dug another hole. I've researched it on the internet and they say there is no effective poison or repellent. We don't allow bird feeders on our grounds so that is not attracting them.

Is there any good solution to the squirrel problem to permanently remove them? I see squirrels a lot of places in the Madison area so I suspect many homes and apartments have problems with them. Seems like people would have figured out a way to outsmart the squirrels by now. Here is an article about the problems:

http://www.pestexterminatenow.com/Squir ... ntrol.html

These are a few of the Hazards created by Squirrels in the home:

* Cause damage by invading our attics
* Chew through electrical wires creating the potential for a house fire
* Chew through fascias and gutterings, causing leaks and further damage
* Damage insulation reducing the thermal efficiency of the home
* Chew through water pipes creating water damage
* Create a general mess and damage of stored goods
* Create a smell and unhygienic conditions in the home

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Squirrel problems

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:39 pm

Oh and beaver's are totally innocent right? More land rodent bias from the water rodent crowd. We see right through you beav.

kittenwithawhip
Forum Addict

Postby kittenwithawhip » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:00 pm

I would suggest a completely psycho squirrel hating cat (or dog) who simply lives to separate rodents from their heads. The corpses left behind aren't pretty but we have a little burial ground for them behind the garage. We never find the heads tho.
I would be willing to rent him out by the hour.......

doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:15 pm

It is easy as:
1. Find out where they are getting in.
2. Hang naphthalene mothballs there in a plastic net bag and on a rope (so you can get them back out).
3. After a few days, remove your balls, and nail that hole shut.

Repeat as needed. Not every war can be won in one battle.

dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:30 pm

doppel wrote:3. After a few days, remove your balls, and nail that hole shut.

Good lord I'm gonna have Beavis and Butthead giggling in my head all afternoon now....

minicat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby minicat » Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:54 pm

I just saw the cutest baby squirrel outside Context. I think he was shopping for some teeny tiny $300 jeans.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:04 pm

minicat wrote:I just saw the cutest baby squirrel outside Context. I think he was shopping for some teeny tiny $300 jeans.

I now know of at least two, possibly three people who spotted that squirrel today. It's a regular celebrity.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:18 pm

Beav, are you a renter? If so, call the city building inspector's office. If you are the landlord, maybe a tenant will.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:23 pm

Thanks for the tips. I live in a condo so I'm not a renter or landlord. My upstairs neighbor has a cat but it hasn't deterred squirrels. Plus I wouldn't want to personally invest in and care for a dog or cat just for squirrel hunting.

I've considered moth balls but several internet sites say:
"Using Moth Balls in the attic to get squirrels out of your attic is illegal in all 50 States because it is toxic to humans and pets."

http://www.aaanimalcontrol.com/squirrelrepellent.htm
"There is no such thing as an effective squirrel repellent. Period...Other products are simply made of napthalene - moth balls - which some companies sell as an end-all be-all in wildlife repellant. Sorry, it simply doesn't work. I've seen people dump about 25 lb. of mothballs in an attic squirrels are living, and they don't care in the slightest. They keep using the area. "

fisticuffs wrote:Oh and beaver's are totally innocent right? More land rodent bias from the water rodent crowd. We see right through you beav.

Yes we plead innocence. Beavers are not pests who ruin people's homes.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:27 pm

At my former place on Willy St, my roommate woke up one morning to a squirrel on his bed. Just sitting there staring at him. Apparently it had chewed a hole in the ceiling of the closet and dropped in unannounced.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:41 pm

Maybe try playing some Donny Osmond or Barry Manilow music real loud?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:43 pm

Beaver wrote:I've considered moth balls but several internet sites say:
"Using Moth Balls in the attic to get squirrels out of your attic is illegal in all 50 States because it is toxic to humans and pets."

I have yet to find anything in the WI statutes about naphthalene (the statutes are picky about spelling), so I'd venture to guess that's the internet being wrong again--perish the thought, I know.

Beaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Beaver » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:48 pm

I'll consider moth balls but the websites say they don't work. If you can't trust the internet, what can you trust?

Michael Patrick wrote:Maybe try playing some Donny Osmond or Barry Manilow music real loud?

i want to scare the squirrels not people.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:51 pm

Yes we plead innocence. Beavers are not pests who ruin people's homes.

More pro-beaver lies. Beavers dam up waterways that flood peoples homes all the time. Google "Beaver Deceiver" to see how serious this problem is. I watch the Animal Planet and I'm on to you beav.

Detritus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Detritus » Wed Nov 10, 2010 4:14 pm

Here's what I did a couple of years ago when I had squirrels in my attic (NOT speaking metaphorically here....)

1. Scare the buggers outta there by making a lot of noise.
2. Close up the hole they found/created.
3. Cover the fixed hole with chickenwire.
4. Spray the whole shebang with wasp/hornet repellent.
5. Schedule a press conference to declare victory.

The chickenwire and wasp/hornet repellent deals with the fact that squirrels are persistent critters--they tend to try to get back in the way they did the last time. They don't like the taste of galvanized wire or bug spray. I'd heard about the mothballs (paradichlorobenzene), but the point is to keep them out, not to spread them around the attic once they've gotten back in.

Return to “Town Vibe”