Gun shots?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
juice

Gun shots?

Postby juice » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:04 pm

So last night, about 2 am, I was zoned out on the couch, not far from the corners of Atwood and Winnebago. Anyways, I heard what sounds like 3 gunshots followed by some commotion. I didn't dare peek out, but immediately went to a safe spot and called police. They had a few other people call on it and tell me they had reports of fireworks in the air. I don't think I'm crazy. I've hunted deer for over half my life, and these had much more report than a shell firework. Perhaps they were M80's or whatnot and the airborne ones were a different instance? If not, I think I would have heard the shells exploding in air/ being initially launched also. Can anybody confirm or deny my insanity?

DanaP

Re: Gun shots?

Postby DanaP » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:44 pm

I heard it, too. Woke up a couple of minutes beforehand (bad cold, bad sleep). From where I am on Mifflin, they sounded like shots to me as well, but then I thought, "no those must be REALLY loud firecrackers..." Except that they just didn't sound the same as firecrackers...

dudemeister
Forum Addict

Postby dudemeister » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:58 pm

Confirmed. I heard them as well from a location near yours and in my sleepy haze thought they were gun shots.

They were awfully close together for gun shots though and extremely loud - they woke me up with (obviously) all the windows shut. In retrospect I think they might have been too loud to be a gun. From what I know guns only boom like that in movies - typically a gun heard from a distance is more of a popping, high pitched sound.

I heard no subsequent commotion though. Also there must have been previous noises (more fireworks?) that disturbed my sleep otherwise how could I have been awakened and heard 3?

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:02 pm

It took me more than a few years living in the Allied neighborhood to be able to distinguish the gunshots from the firecrackers. I think I might easily be fooled still by a real M-80, although those are rare nowadays.

Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Petro » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:56 pm

Three shots is also the international distress signal, so it was probably just some lost Boy Scouts that were packing.

juice

Postby juice » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:11 pm

[quote="dudemeister"]They were awfully close together for gun shots though and extremely loud - they woke me up with (obviously) all the windows shut. In retrospect I think they might have been too loud to be a gun. From what I know guns only boom like that in movies - typically a gun heard from a distance is more of a popping, high pitched sound.[quote]

Not really sure where you get these ideas.
A semi-automatic weapon can shoot as fast as you can pull the trigger; it's action is generally operated by the gases created by the ignition of the primer ie: the thing that makes that bullet go 1500 feet per second also helps spit the spent cartridge out and chamber another. Stick your finger out, squeeze it inward, and repeat two more times as quick as possible. That's how fast you're firing. I've seen people fire three shots with pump operated weapons faster than those "gunshots," it's not that difficult to fire fast and inaccurately.

Second, have you ever seen a gun fired at a range? They're wearing ear protection for a reason. Guns go boom(well, powerful ones at least.) Smaller calibers might make a popping, high pitch report, but a handgun is generally something like a .38 inch bullet or larger and would, to the best of my knowledge, make a loud crack.

Alas, there are no reports of bodies and no shots returned, so be it gunfire or fireworks, I'm chalking this one up to hooligans.

Bad Gradger
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bad Gradger » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:56 am

Tonight's barrage of amateur fireworks was the longest and loudest yet, about ten minutes or so. This time I went outside but could only see a few indirect flashes lighting the treetops.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:45 am

Yah, what the hell was that? We heard it too, and saw some lights toward the southwest.

When was Guy Fawkes day?

swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby swoon_queen » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:31 pm

Bad Gradger wrote:Tonight's barrage of amateur fireworks was the longest and loudest yet, about ten minutes or so. This time I went outside but could only see a few indirect flashes lighting the treetops.

Last night's loud blasts seriously freaked us out. No info online; best I could find was via Twitter, where someone suggested it was fireworks from a local Diwali celebration.

dudemeister
Forum Addict

Postby dudemeister » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:13 pm

I thought some crazy guy's personal armory had caught fire.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Nov 08, 2010 3:23 pm

swoon_queen wrote:...someone suggested it was fireworks from a local Diwali celebration.

If so, they were celebrating nearly a week early.

Return to “Town Vibe”