"100% juice" slushie machine out at O'Keeffe middle

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

"100% juice" slushie machine out at O'Keeffe middle

Postby jjoyce » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:20 pm

http://www.thedailypage.com/daily/artic ... icle=30984

"Pumping our kids full of sugar," complains one parent. Yet they say it's 100% juice, with only colors added to make it look, you know, like a slushie.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: "100% juice" slushie machine out at O'Keeffe middle

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:30 pm

From Wiki, for what it's worth:

The high sugar content of fruit juices is often not realized—many fruit juices have a higher sugar (fructose) content than sweetened soft drinks...

dudemeister
Forum Addict

Postby dudemeister » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:47 pm

I don't think juice is particularly healthy just because it's from a fruit. Sure it's got some nutrients but drinking orange juice is not like eating an orange. An orange has a lot of fiber which both makes you feel full and is good for your intestinal health. Processed orange juice is mostly sugar and vitamins -- might as well just down a multivitamin with your orange crush if you ask me (which you did not).

Now if it was a smoothie machine, that might be different...

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:09 pm

dudemeister wrote:I don't think juice is particularly healthy just because it's from a fruit. Sure it's got some nutrients but drinking orange juice is not like eating an orange. An orange has a lot of fiber which both makes you feel full and is good for your intestinal health. Processed orange juice is mostly sugar and vitamins -- might as well just down a multivitamin with your orange crush if you ask me (which you did not).

Now if it was a smoothie machine, that might be different...

Fruit juice is good for you. Too much fruit juice is not good for you. And you are right, solid fruit is way, way better for you.

Sad that the MMSD director of food services is quoted in that article as falling back to "but it's JUICE!!!"

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Fri Oct 22, 2010 5:42 pm

I prefer tomato and V-8 juices with their off-the-chart sodium levels.

lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby lysander » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:12 pm

Sometimes, when someone from outside of Madison refers to our city as "the home of the perpetually offended" I point out things that make us look like a reasonable community.

Then, stuff like this goes down (outrage at the school providing slushies made from fruit juice), and I wind up losing the argument.

Yes, fruit juice usually has a lot of sugar. Too much sugar is bad. But is this thing any worse than selling a can or carton of juice? Are we going to ban juice in the schools too? Nothing but filtered water and oats and raw vegetables? Maybe assign dietitians to each class to make sure nobody's sneaking in a bag of M&Ms? Even Willy St. Coop sells juice. Come on.

mifflander
Forum Addict

Postby mifflander » Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:14 pm

I heard they tasted like crap anyway.

And a dollar for a 8 oz. cup.

Return to “Town Vibe”