The Rudest/Worst Bartenders on the East Side?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Doctress Julia

The Rudest/Worst Bartenders on the East Side?

Postby Doctress Julia » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:38 pm

Which bartenders are the worst (inattentive, inept, sloppy, downright RUDE)? Heard plenty about the best, wondering about the other end of it. Do Madisonians even have an opinion about bad bar service? Am I in unicorn land? I wonder... I am from Milwaukee, and I know we sure do...
Last edited by Doctress Julia on Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Petro
Forum Addict

Re: The Rudest/Worst Bartenders on the East Side?

Postby Petro » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:02 pm

Doctress Julia wrote:why do people keep going to those bars?

For the booze?

Doctress Julia

Postby Doctress Julia » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:05 pm

Well, yeah... :roll: ... but isn't it better to be treated nicely (e.g., like a 'paying customer') when going out for drinks? Or is that not that important to you? I really am curious.

Petro
Forum Addict

Postby Petro » Sun Oct 17, 2010 4:03 pm

Honestly? When I've decided that I'm going to a given bar it's generally for a list of reasons, none of them involving the help.

It'd take a really grating bartender to even get me to notice them, given the brief span of interaction most of the time. Granted, I don't go out as much as I did even a year ago; but I can't recall ever having an interaction so toxic that I found myself griping about it after the fact. (Muchless on a forum.)

I'm probably just fortunate. I'm alright with that.

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:53 pm

This wasn't a great idea for a thread. So I'll try to point it in the positive direction.

I can't think of any bartender at the Crystal who has ever been anything but friendly and helpful.

holyghost

Postby holyghost » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:33 pm

Galoot wrote:This wasn't a great idea for a thread. So I'll try to point it in the positive direction.

I can't think of any bartender at the Crystal who has ever been anything but friendly and helpful.

Agreed. There will always be losers working in the service industry. This makes it that much nicer to run across those who go above and beyond. Vanessa at Maduro has always been awesome, and Jackson at Drackenberg's is one of a kind. Funny, those are two cigar bars :roll:

Doctress Julia

Postby Doctress Julia » Sun Oct 17, 2010 7:45 pm

Galoot wrote:This wasn't a great idea for a thread. So I'll try to point it in the positive direction.

oh... sorry, then- I thought this was a forum for discussion of all kinds... didn't know they were all required to be 'positive'... (oh yeah, that's right- I live in Madison, lol) forget it, then. Wonder why you bothered replying to it , then.. :roll: :|

This is actually a fucking great idea for a thread. But, heaven forbid anyone voices a rant, lest some hippie comes in and whines about it not being 'positive'.

...yeah, the Crystal is one of my favorite bars on the East side (that's the only one you want to opine positively about, Galoot?). As is Woody Annes, Wilsons and I just realized that Mickey's bloodies are insanely good. Maduro is fun for a cigar and some mezcal served in a little ceramic dish- kinda different...

Doctress Julia

Postby Doctress Julia » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:09 pm

Petro wrote:Honestly? When I've decided that I'm going to a given bar it's generally for a list of reasons, none of them involving the help.

It'd take a really grating bartender to even get me to notice them, given the brief span of interaction most of the time. Granted, I don't go out as much as I did even a year ago; but I can't recall ever having an interaction so toxic that I found myself griping about it after the fact. (Muchless on a forum.)

I'm probably just fortunate. I'm alright with that.

Yeah, most people who are fortunate are all right with it... 'the help'? Nice. Good for you.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:15 pm

Personally, if I receive sub-par service I usually mentally cross that place off my list of options and don't give it much thought or energy after I walk out the door. I don't brood about lousy service, I recognize it when I see it but I just don't go back. If the bad service is particularly egregious I'll mention something, but I don't let bad service live rent free in my brain. When I walk out, that establishment is dead to me. The only time I ever think about it again is if that establishment is brought up as an option, then I'll immediately veto that thought. So I can't say that I have any active memories of places that suck, I reserve my memories for the places with great service.
Last edited by Average Joe on Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doctress Julia

Postby Doctress Julia » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:19 pm

Average Joe wrote:Personally, if I receive sub-par service I usually mentally cross that place off my list of options and don't give it much thought or energy after I walk out the door. I don't brood about lousy service, I recognize it when I see it but I just don't go back. If the bad service is particularly egregious I'll mention something, but I don't let bad service live rent free in my brain. When I walk out, that establishment is dead to me. The only time I ever think about it again if that establishment is brought up as an option, then I'll immediately veto that thought. So I can't say that I have any active memories of places that suck, I reserve my memories for the places with great service.

Hey, alright. Thanks for your input, Average Joe. 'Dead to me', hilarious, heh. :D

..yep, going to the Crystal for one (it's SIN!), and then over to Mickey's for open mike and a bloody. 8) later, hippies :wink:

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:26 pm

So why are you looking for rude bartenders? Are you seeking a kindred soul with a similar disposition?

Doctress Julia

Postby Doctress Julia » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:35 pm

Average Joe wrote:So why are you looking for rude bartenders? Are you seeking a kindred soul with a similar disposition?

No, I'm hoping to AVOID them. Especially if they are passive-aggressive or smug.

A kindred soul would be someone intelligent, non-judgmental (this is key, for real- hard to find in Madison), not a clueless middle-aged old hippie, kinda sassy, and hopefully they can make a good bloody.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bland » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:53 pm

Julia-
"Bad service," like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.
Considering you named bars which I consider to have some of the worst bartenders in town as having great service only drives home that point. Which is also why this thread is ultimately useless. There are so many factors that determine whether anyone's particular service will be good or bad on any given night at any specific location that it's difficult to make generalities with wide enough application to actually matter. And I don't care how crappy the service is if there's a band playing I want to see.

The best way to get good service at ANY bar is to get to know the bartenders.
Last edited by Bland on Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:57 pm

You sound like you are already quite familiar with east side bars. If you are pleased with your already established haunts, why are you fishing for dish on places with crappy service that you haven't yet stumbled upon on the east side? Your whole premise seems odd or at the very least THC induced.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:17 pm

Doctress Julia wrote:lest some hippie comes in

Doctress Julia wrote:later, hippies :wink:

Doctress Julia wrote:not a clueless middle-aged old hippie

Do you come from Bayview? Is Madison not hipster enough for you? The Madison anti hippie thing is so 1990's. You haven't been doing your homework.

I feel like you're targeting someone you know in hopes they'll be outed as a shitty bartender. I know the bartenders in the places I frequent. I go to these bars because I like the bartenders. I don't go to places where the bartenders suck. In those cases I haven't asked their name so I can out them as a shitty bartender.

My opinion is the the bartenders on the east side are a whole hell of a lot better than those on the near west or west side. I really have no complaints.

Return to “Town Vibe”