Lawn Pesticides

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Boshie

Lawn Pesticides

Postby Boshie » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:46 pm

Why is it considered okay to have a truck loaded with a tankful of sloshing, poisonous, carcinogenic pesticides drive up to my neighbor's curb, a person (not wearing any protective gear) jumps out and delivers a poisonous spray towards the neighbor's lawn, where, incidentally, it does not stay, but instead the airborne mist rises and is carried on the wind, blows onto my yard, into my home, and onto the skin and into the lungs of my family?

There is plenty of evidence and data that supports the fact that pesticides are endocrine, reproductive and neurological disrupters. Increasingly, lawn pesticides are considered harmful to human health and environmental health, including our water supply where measurable amounts of pesticides are present in our aquifers.

The multi-national chemical companies that produce, market and sell the pesticides are not on our side. The lobbyists that work for Monsanto and others are not working for us, they are working for their bottom line. The FDA does not regulate the chemical proliferation, it allows the companies to perform their own tests which skew the deleterious effects of their products.

Consider the tobacco industry and the fight they waged in support of cigarettes. This is no different. Pesticide use is a health hazard to ourselves and the planet. The detrimental effects of pesticides are proven and will be increasingly evident in the health of future generations of all living things. Don't use pesticides and support legislation to ban the use of pesticides in our city.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Lawn Pesticides

Postby snoqueen » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:13 pm

I can't tell you why it's OK, which was your question. I cannot imagine why we value green, green lawns over a safe water supply. But I believe there's a list you can be on that requires your adjacent neighbors to give you 24 hours' notice (or more) before pesticiding. I think this is a city thing -- maybe someone better-informed can help me here as I don't know how to search all the ordinances.

I believe in the future we will regard this kind of wanton public poison-spreading much as we regard second-hand smoke today. It's dangerous and unacceptable.

Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:35 am

People who have their lawns sprayed are lazy dumbfucks who deserve whatever cancer is eventually going to consume them. A pox on all their houses (not like I have to wish it one them since it's included in the spraying).

Unfortunately, the rest of us who try to do the right thing by our children, pets and environment are probably all going to die from the same toxicity.

Boy do I love it when I'm walking my dog and she's going along sniffing in the grass only to come across one of those "Stay Off!" signs that's been tipped over by the wind and is only visible when you're right atop the damn thing. It's a good thing I'm not an arsonist, or there would be a lot of scorched earth in my 'hood.

c02
Forum Addict

Postby c02 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:38 am

I hate it when people hold back....

doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:59 am

Uncle_Leaver wrote:Boy do I love it when I'm walking my dog and she's going along sniffing in the grass only to come across one of those "Stay Off!" signs that's been tipped over by the wind and is only visible when you're right atop the damn thing.

Me too. Whenever I'm shitting my dog on my neighbors lawn, it really pisses me off when she practically shits right on one of those goddamn wind blown over signs. One time, it almost scared the shit out of me. Those assholes.

Boshie

Postby Boshie » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:57 pm

But seriously, if enough people in this city are concerned about the health effects of pesticides on humans, pets, and the environment, we all need to speak up and demand legislation that prohibits the lawn care companies from dispensing their toxins in our neighborhoods. It is the illusion and myth that is promoted by Monsanto etc. that your lawn needs to be weed free to be healthy. Nothing could be further from the truth. The soil and microorganisms are depleted and thus become dependent on the pesticides to remain 'healthy'.
Yes, we can be notified ahead of time that our neighbors are about to be sprayed, all that allows is that we will have a 'heads up' on when not to be breathing the air. It still arrives and will still travel by other means. The surfactants in the pesticides allow them to penetrate your skin with ease, in fact they are as harmful dry as when wet. The signs in the yard go away, but the pesticide is still doing it's nasty work. Fido ingests it when he drinks from a puddle or eats a blade of grass (ask your vet about the increase in lymphoma deaths in domestic pets due to lawn pesticides). Or when junior goes out to play some football with his buddies, watch them roll on the grass, then track it into our homes where significant amounts reside in our carpets and furniture.
We banned the addition of phosphorous in fertilizers and have made some dent in the amount of runoff to our lakes and rivers. We can go further than that. Municipalities around the globe are doing it. Check out Canada. Take a stand against pesticide use in our city. If Madison is truly 'green' lets make it a natural green, not chemically enhanced.

Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:10 pm

Boshie wrote:If Madison is truly 'green'...

Coal plants, sprawling suburbs, fights against regional transit, billions invested in existing highways and roads, low-density development encouraged outside the city, cowardly politicians unwilling to take on farmers regarding lakes...etc.

Madison may appear 'green' but if you look closely its somewhat of a facade.

HOMOsapien

Postby HOMOsapien » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:24 pm

Sheppy, is that you?

'They do it in Canada!'

BwuuuuHaaHaaHaaaa!

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:48 pm

HOMOsapien wrote:Sheppy, is that you?

'They do it in Canada!'

BwuuuuHaaHaaHaaaa!

As a matter of fact, they do.

Canada has announced it will ban weed ’n feed nationwide by the end of 2012. This ban was seen as a compromise between Health Canada and the pesticide industry, which agreed that weed ’n feed products put excess amounts of pesticides in the environment.

More than 60 percent of Canada has banned “cosmetic” herbicides used to kill dandelions, clover etc. on lawns. Most major Canadian retailers including Home Depot have stopped selling herbicides and have committed to selling alternatives.

Boshie

Postby Boshie » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:05 pm

Amen. Try corn gluten as a weed suppressant. Better yet, get rid of the lawn and plant native trees, shrubs, grasses and flowers to create a private wildlife sanctuary where the birds, bees and other critters can frolic in a non-toxic environment. It sure frees up your yard work time, and the sight of a monarch alighting on the milkweed is a real fine sight. (You can 'do it' in the privacy of your very own yard!!!).

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:11 pm

Boshie wrote:(You can 'do it' in the privacy of your very own yard!!!).

This seems like a separate issue, unless "monarch" and "milkweed" are your code words, too.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:13 pm

I hate to agree with HOMO 2 days in a row but this is Sheppy. Let's run the Sheppy test.
Boshie, How do you feel about Orfordville?

HOMOsapien

Postby HOMOsapien » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:38 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
HOMOsapien wrote:Sheppy, is that you?

'They do it in Canada!'

BwuuuuHaaHaaHaaaa!

As a matter of fact, they do.

No kidding you annoying clod. Get a clue. I don't care if 'they do it (anything) in Canada.'

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:58 pm

HOMOsapien wrote:I don't care if 'they do it (anything) in Canada.'

And who cares that you don't?

Is that your best defense of lawn pesticides?

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:16 pm

Crockett wrote:Madison may appear 'green' but if you look closely its somewhat of a facade.

But you have to admit the lakes are green. At least in summer.

Return to “Town Vibe”