Here we go again... IRONMAN!

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
madisonsummer

Here we go again... IRONMAN!

Postby madisonsummer » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:14 pm

It's that time of year again! The leaves are turning brown, school is back in session and the F*&%ing IRONMAN is in town! (I am stuck here in town for work so as a preface, I can't just up and leave for the weekend as much as I might want to.) I don't understand why so many stuck up, full of themselves, a**holes come from afar and create a HUGE carbon footprint on this earth by moving around massive amounts of equipment and people just to ride/swim/run around a city for a day. I am seeing people from CA, Canada, AZ, etc. and just wondering how much money this must cost to get all these idiots to Madison so they can exercise! I know that it is a economic benefit to the city of Madison and the greater Madison area, but come on, really, do we need to shut down our city for a day and burn millions of gallons of jet/auto fuel so some people can flex some muscle? I agree in the healthy living and am a avid biker/commuter for health and a green conscience but are these "IRON MEN/WOMEN" really good for the environment/city? I for one really look forward to serving piss and vomit stained athletes after the event and I am sure that the city is really looking forward to cleaning up the many miles of trash/piss/vomit left behind by wanna be athletes. I say we as Madisonians request that we restrict this event outside of downtown/isthmus to the countryside and let the state/county pick up the tab. They can still stay downtown/isthmus of course but we just want their millions of dollars of expendable income, not their waste!!! So in closing, IRONMAN, you are not wanted by all of Madison, just a very small, ignorant few!

lolagirl
Forum Addict

Re: Here we go again... IRONMAN!

Postby lolagirl » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:47 pm

Dude - chill.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:56 pm

madisonsummer wrote:So in closing, IRONMAN, you are not wanted by all of Madison, just a very small, ignorant few!

I guess all those businesses and their employees that reap the benefits are ignorant too.

And yea, you gotta chill.

madisonsummer

Postby madisonsummer » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:07 pm

I am chilling out by getting UW BAGDER GAME DAY DRUNK after work every day that IRONMAN happens. I am so glad that as long as I am associated with the UW I can get super drunk and vomit all over Madison and be covered under "its okay its the university kids" clause. I am sure the businesses would not complain about the influx of customers but I am sure that the employees working the weekend would about how cheap (tipping) the IRON MEN/WOMEN are when it comes to their bill. How about the rich guys pay it forward to us small town service industry peeps and give us what we deserve for dealing with there freakish requests.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:06 pm

...Sheppy?

Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby Comrade » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:17 pm

Stebben84 The Verona Press just ran an article about what businesses in Verona think of the Ironman being in town. You might want to educate yourself and rethink your position.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:54 pm

http://www.veronapress.com/main.asp?SectionID=4

Ironman gets mixed reviews in Verona.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:56 pm

We have three seasons: Winter, Construction and Marathons!

I bet a friend that Ironman detours will not be accurate.

One nice thing about the cold season: the jackasses are less audible.

bdog
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bdog » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:39 pm

Bwis53 wrote:One nice thing about the cold season: the jackasses are less audible.

So true; thing is, we're all jackasses.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:53 pm

Comrade wrote:Stebben84 The Verona Press just ran an article about what businesses in Verona think of the Ironman being in town. You might want to educate yourself and rethink your position.

Let me rethink:

But ask the folks at Gray’s Tied House about Ironman, and you’ll hear a different story.

The restaurant is opening early Sunday to offer a breakfast buffet, Bloody Marys and other specials to customers who can watch cyclists whiz past Gray’s spacious patio overlooking Whalen Road.

Still, some businesses love Ironman. Both hotels – the Super 8 and the Holiday Inn Express and Suites – are booked this weekend, and Super 8 owner Keri Hall also said a couple groups stayed at her hotel this summer during practice runs on the bike course.

Likewise, Dan Atkins said he’s swamped each year at Atkins Verona Bicycle Shoppe on West Verona Avenue, with Ironman competitors looking for tune-ups before race day.
“It’s a huge boost for us,” he said.

At Cousin’s Subs, manager Shellie Dresser said she planned to request extra staff for the weekend, as ice cream sales alone tend to double for several days leading up to the race.

But the event also adds to the room taxes collected by the two booked hotels, money that is used to promote tourism in Verona.

Yes, I'm being selective, but maybe you should read the whole article Comrade. As Snoqueen said, it's mixed, but many businesses do reap the benefits.

Comrade
Forum Addict

Postby Comrade » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:42 am

I DID read the article. That is why I posted it...duh!!! Mixed results were not what you posted. The net effect of this is likely to be a wash. Some businesess up and some down. However, that is a negative, since it annoys so many that live and work there.

Pissing people off for no benefit is not a plus..overall.

Return to “Town Vibe”