Iron Man detours Sunday, Sept 12

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Iron Man detours Sunday, Sept 12

Postby Shorty » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:19 am

It's that time of year again. Overly fit, hyper active people will be running and biking around town until they drop on Sunday. Looks like good weather for them at least.

For those out driving be prepared for detours and delays. Maps are on these links:

http://www.ironmanwisconsin.com/
http://www.ironmanwisconsin.com/bike.html
http://www.ironmanwisconsin.com/run.html

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Iron Man detours Sunday, Sept 12

Postby fisticuffs » Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:27 am

I'll be protesting this event by sitting on my couch, eating chicken wings, drinking beer, and watching football for 9 hours.

bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:18 pm

I will be checking out the tightly fit spandex suits as they come out of the water. Yikes!

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:00 pm

I can't stand the Ironman Corporation. They used to offer some entries for the event for locals, based on how much we're inconvenienced by having a chunk of our town shut down for a day. They no longer offer these, and they never gave a reason why they stopped.

Thousands upon thousands of people volunteer to help run the event, yet Ironman Corp keeps on raising the entry fee. I think it will be well over $600 for next year.

Many people can't get off work on Monday morning to go down and stand in line to enter. They don't care that many teachers, EMT's, etc would like to participate. Fuck such public servants, it's a corporation, they have to make a huge profit!

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:39 pm

fisticuffs wrote:
I'll be protesting this event by sitting on my couch, eating chicken wings, drinking beer, and watching football for 9 hours.

Same as me. Except I now DVR football games to cut roughly 90 minutes of nothingness out.

I plan on using all that saved time to watch Iron Man and Iron Man 2 instead.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:07 pm

After watching skydivers and skyscraper climbers, I ask myself: why?! I'm thinking I better take an early Metro to work, cause they'll gum up the works.

diaper daniels
Forum Addict

Postby diaper daniels » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:49 pm

“I play real sports…not trying to be the best at exercising.”
-Kenny Powers

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:44 pm

Where else could you get a nearly naked guy with an indian headdress on, running beside you up a hill, shouting words of encouragement and playing a tambourine?

http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/ ... 002e0.html

Dude wants to show off his bod in the guise of super fan, fine, but spare your poor daughters the spectacle.

ArturoBandini
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ArturoBandini » Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:58 pm

Re: Indian headdress guy.
I was watching the bike course from that location - the uphill section on Timber Ln, approaching Old Sauk. The zany encouragers were highly enthusiastic and quite annoying. At least one was drinking, and perhaps drunk, although it's hard to tell because zany/drunk can be hard to distinguish. If I had been riding, I would have told them them to GTF away from me. Admittedly, escaping their presence would be a good reason to go faster.

The wacky cheerleaders tended to focus on the weak-looking riders. Old rider? He/she's getting a personal shout-out. Overweight person? They're running alongside all the way up. Thirtysomething rolling on carbon discs? Not interested.

Congrats to all the Ironman placers and finishers!

Return to “Town Vibe”