East Side Internet Access

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: East Side Internet Access

Postby snoqueen » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:39 pm

TDS's customer service reps have always been helpful when I had to call them.

But their east side service area could be shaped like a piece of Swiss cheese and you (Marvell) could live in one of the holes. What would be the point of selling you TDS service if it didn't reach to your house?

Their guy did you a favor if that's the case.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:05 pm

I dumped AT&T back when they were Americrap and have been a TDS customer ever since. Yes, they're hamstrung by having to use AT&T's lines, but they're still a locally owned company that has excellent customer service. What company would you respect more; a company that takes your money knowing they can only give you an inferior product or a company that reluctantly tells you that you will be better off using their competitor?

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:12 am

snoqueen wrote:But their east side service area could be shaped like a piece of Swiss cheese and you (Marvell) could live in one of the holes. What would be the point of selling you TDS service if it didn't reach to your house?

Their guy did you a favor if that's the case.

Again (and I quote):

"We do not service the east side of Madison."

The service rep I spoke to may have been doing me a favor. If there are, in fact, neighborhoods on the east side of Madison that do have service, I would hazard that only a pinhead would argue that he did a favor for the organization that employed him by saying what I quoted above.

And if they're employing him, who else are they employing?

This isn't exactly rocket science, people...

BFG

Postby BFG » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:45 am

Ok. I'll grant you it's not rocket science, but I don't think the rep was intentionally trying to piss you off.

Sales Reps are told what to say on the phone. You were calling to get TDS service for the first time, correct? You are not an existing TDS customer?

The rep's script probably should be "I am sorry, but we are not offering service to NEW customers at this time". I'll give you that with the existing script, it may lead to the impression that they are lying about having service on the east side.

Just out of curiosity, do you just get this honked-off with TDS, or do other organizations rate your ire?

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:37 am

No - it's exactly because I didn't want to go with AT&T that it pissed me off so bad.

Plus - I didn't mention this before, but the sales rep - after telling me the thing about not serving the east side - volunteered to transfer me to AT&T.

Only - he transferred me to some gardening supply outfit.

Seriously - what the fuck? Did TDS want to make double plus-sure that I would only say shitty things about them in the future? Because it sure looks, to a casual onlooker, that their goal in all this was to make sure they looked as amateurish and indifferent as possible.

So; once again - if that's their business model, I'm definitely bemused.

"TDS - We'll pointlessly antagonize you!"

beenie
Forum Addict

Postby beenie » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:02 pm

Last edited by beenie on Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:09 am

beenie wrote:An easy way to figure out whether you're in TDS Metrocom territory or TDS Telecom territory is this: if AT&T copper wireline service (as opposed to U-Verse, which uses fiber technology) is an option for you, you will not be able to have new TDS service installed. If you know that TDS is an option and AT&T copper wireline service is not an option, you're more than likely in TDS Telecom territory and will most likely be able to have new service installed.

Please say this is a joke.

No, seriously -

A quick raise of hands: how many people on here know, off the top of their heads, whether "AT&T copper wireline service (as opposed to U-Verse, which uses fiber technology) is an option for you?"

You telecom people are morons.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:09 am

Why isn't TDS Metrocom adding new residential customers?

beenie
Forum Addict

Postby beenie » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:31 pm

Last edited by beenie on Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

CoffeeJones

Postby CoffeeJones » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:40 pm

beenie wrote:Marvell, I don't think you give the general public enough credit. Then again, perhaps you're only giving them as much credit as you, yourself have.

Beenie, the vast majority of people don't have a clue about this. Climb out of your hole and get a clue. The only people that would know about this have telecom experience. You can't expect that everyone has the same knowledge base that you do. That is the basis of being a good customer support person.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:57 pm

This:
BFG wrote: The business model is still good for business customers, and I'll wager that TDS (and others) have decided to concentrate their efforts there. They will still service existing residential customers, but they won't market to or accept new customers because it just winds up being a loss. If you happened to live in Verona, Waunakee or Black Earth, TDS would gladly sell you high speed internet, because they are the incumbent carrier there and not the competitor.

I am a Metrocom customer, with DSL and a landline. If I want to switch to AT&T, I have to lose my service for a week or so because of a non-compete clause in TDS's rental contract. I've noticed my Internet speed has declined and would love to get UVerse for both that and TV. That way I could get rid of Charter too.
Last edited by Henry Vilas on Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bmasel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bmasel » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:07 pm

Re "non-compete clause." Any antitrust lawyers on the board?

Return to “Town Vibe”