Road construction nightmare on University Ave

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Lily
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Road construction nightmare on University Ave

Postby Lily » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:32 pm

bassbari wrote:Short cuts to down town from Far west:
First Option:
Left on Norman Way by the Pancake house
Right on Lake Mendota Drive.
Take Lake Mendota drive through Shorewood and Eagle Heights to U Bay drive.
Left on Observatory
Right on Elm
Left on Linden
Right on Charter through Johnson to Dayton
Left on Dayton to downtown

Second Option
Right on Whitney Way
Left on Regent
Regent to Blackhawk
Right on Bluff which becomes Kendall to Lathrop. (parallel to Old Univ and be careful. There are speed bumps and go slowly. It is a residential narrow street with parking on one side and a designated bike route.)
Or Right on Franklin to Regent by the cemetery.

Both are round about ways but at least you keep moving.

==================
Ya know, I'm so glad all I need to get to and from work is hop on the bus located near me and let Madcity Metro do the driving. Bring a book and/or an iPod or **gasp** strike up a conversation with someone on the bus. Some routes are crowded but it's much better than dealing with construction and parking issues.

kissyfish
Forum Addict

Postby kissyfish » Thu Sep 02, 2010 7:38 am

Pardon me while I change into my flame proof jumpsuit, and then say...

"that light-rail train sure would be handy in just such a situation"

robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Postby robbie webber » Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:58 pm

I have got to get a bike trailer. I went to the Hill Farms farmers market today to pick up a few things, and took the car because I anticipated some heavy items: corn, cantaloupe, onions, zukes, etc.

It's a little less than 2 miles from my houses to the market, and I swear it would have been faster to make two trips by bike than try to get through the traffic and construction around the market. Even the "back" ways were a mess, because everyone is trying to avoid University.

Oh, and I spent most of my shopping time trying to avoid the Assembly District 77 candidates and other folks with petitions. Not that I don't care or don't normally appreciate talking politics, but I really wanted to grab the veggies and get on with the day.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:15 pm

In order to avoid all the traffic that is avoiding University, I tried taking University a few times in the past 10 days or so. While not a wonderful experience by any means, traffic was moving along just fine.

I suspect that the reduced volume from people taking alternate routes is what accounts for this.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:56 pm

gargantua wrote:In order to avoid all the traffic that is avoiding University, I tried taking University a few times in the past 10 days or so. While not a wonderful experience by any means, traffic was moving along just fine.

I suspect that the reduced volume from people taking alternate routes is what accounts for this.

Oh, great. Now you've gone and told everybody.

Return to “Town Vibe”