Road construction nightmare on University Ave

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Road construction nightmare on University Ave

Postby Shorty » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:24 pm

All Summer long we put up with Univ Ave road construction that closed the Northern most lanes. Now the North lanes are done but the Southern most lanes are torn up and closed so it's only two lanes each way again. How long will the latest construction last? When UW starts Sept 1 it's going to be a mess there with traffic backups. I thought all this construction was supposed to finish before Sept 1.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Road construction nightmare on University Ave

Postby Michael Patrick » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:58 pm

According to the official project website, the new project completion date is October 30, 2010. Not sure what the originally planned end date was...

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:21 pm

I was running around the west side this afternoon and avoided using University because of the construction.

Instead, the beltline/Rimrock construction got me. Then the pouring rain/West Towne mall traffic got me. Then the Junction Road/Old Sauk Road traffic got me. Then the Speedway/Regent/cemetery traffic got me. Then the Old U/Breeze Terrace construction got me.

I should have just taken University and avoided the BOHICA.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:20 pm

I was just about to post a long, detailed post about how I commute back and forth between the east & west side with ease and then at the last minute a tiny little voice said, "Why the fuck are you about to give away your 'stress-free' route?

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Donald » Tue Aug 31, 2010 9:40 pm

Exactly, Average Joe. Don't give away any secrets.

Campus drive going east was backed up its entire length from the Discovery Center to University Bay Drive at 3 PM. I was lucky enough to be going west. I expect it took a half and hour to get through that stretch.

HeyZeus
Forum God/Goddess

Postby HeyZeus » Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:05 pm

Getting to/from Camp Randall is going to be a fucking nightmare this year.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:31 am

Driving west on Campus Drive to get to Old University tonight, there is a stop light, which was green for me, and in branching off, I barely hit the brakes in time to avoid having my suspension ripped off by a lane-wide drop in the pavement by about two to three inches. Instant drop, and then instant edge.

What. The. Fuck.

I understand construction moves quickly, but come ON. It's a common route, and how much work is it to build temporary ramps?

Still peeved, obviously. This reeks of carelessness.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:51 am

Michael Patrick wrote:According to the official project website, the new project completion date is October 30, 2010.

Thanks for the scoop. Two more months is a long time.

Average Joe wrote:I was just about to post a long, detailed post about how I commute back and forth between the east & west side

Helicopter must be the only fast east-west route now. All the other east-west routes are crowded now with people detouring from Univ Ave, like Walter described.

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:05 am

ilikebeans wrote:Driving west on Campus Drive to get to Old University tonight, there is a stop light, which was green for me, and in branching off, I barely hit the brakes in time to avoid having my suspension ripped off by a lane-wide drop in the pavement by about two to three inches. Instant drop, and then instant edge.

What. The. Fuck.

I understand construction moves quickly, but come ON. It's a common route, and how much work is it to build temporary ramps?

Still peeved, obviously. This reeks of carelessness.

There's an equally annoying cavern eastbound in the right lane where the new pavement joins the old and they're shifting the lanes. Giant square of pavement isn't there yet. Luckily, there was no one behind me when I had to slam on my brakes to avoid it. Sheesh.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:58 am

Shorty wrote:All the other east-west routes are crowded now with people detouring from Univ Ave, like Walter described.

Yeah, you're right, there are no east-west routes that one can travel with ease, free of the aggravation of road construction or traffic congestion, so don't even bother to look for one.

bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:48 pm

Short cuts to down town from Far west:
First Option:
Left on Norman Way by the Pancake house
Right on Lake Mendota Drive.
Take Lake Mendota drive through Shorewood and Eagle Heights to U Bay drive.
Left on Observatory
Right on Elm
Left on Linden
Right on Charter through Johnson to Dayton
Left on Dayton to downtown

Second Option
Right on Whitney Way
Left on Regent
Regent to Blackhawk
Right on Bluff which becomes Kendall to Lathrop. (parallel to Old Univ and be careful. There are speed bumps and go slowly. It is a residential narrow street with parking on one side and a designated bike route.)
Or Right on Franklin to Regent by the cemetery.

Both are round about ways but at least you keep moving.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Sep 01, 2010 1:52 pm

So yeah, this construction feels like it has been going on for a year and it's aggravating. That being said, there will be many more complaints once road construction hits Williamson St. (Look at how much whining is going on now re: the Co-op.)

Nick Berigan
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Nick Berigan » Wed Sep 01, 2010 2:07 pm

At 7 am and 4 pm, you can move faster from Univ Bay Drive to Whitney on the bike path by about 5 minutes (or actually YOU can probably do better than that as I am not a fast bicyclist.)

(Note; this is not a "cars bad, bikes good" post so let's skip pass on that hijack, thank you.)

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed Sep 01, 2010 3:04 pm

Metro Transit #2 is now going around the back of Hilldale,(Segoe) in order to get east on University, instead of getting stuck, backed up on Midvale, trying to turn east. I anticipated problems and decided to shop on an off day. I called them when I got home because they failed to email me. I was told they had just made that decision...

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:49 pm

bassbari wrote:
Both are round about ways but at least you keep moving.

There are a few other routes, but the same idea. Side streets, slower speed, not quite as direct but less traffic, hardly any snarls and easier on the blood pressure. Some days you get their quicker than the main "now under construction" routes, other days not. But the travel time is much more consistent than the construction routes.

Return to “Town Vibe”