cycropia steenks

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
sethansorge

cycropia steenks

Postby sethansorge » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:58 pm

Does anyone else think cycropia is crap?
A couple thousand people and their kids are sitting in this incredible place on a perfect night, waiting for the magic to happen, and then some dude in a costume rolls out -- gasp! -- an apparatus of some kind that is meant to astound us but is really just kinda lame. Then we wait 7 minutes while he shows us -- wow! -- how the apparatus' arm extends back and forth while weird music plays, and then he leaves, which cues another 6-7 minutes of eerie calliope music that is supposed to, I guess, make us all feel awestruck by the surrealness of -- gasp! -- the apparatus that is still there!!
Meanwhile, kids on their dad's shoulders are like, "When does it start, daddy?" and the dads are like "I guess it already did."
And then some people come out and swing and stuff, and honestly, I think I could do what they were doing with 4 weeks training. And by 30 minutes into it, every kid is antsy as hell.
But no one boos, cuz that's not "east side."
Cycropia-ites: You have a huge audience just waiting for you to be awesome. Don't make us sit there and expect us to be astounded by a little music, some lights and a box with a retractable arm. Do something. Jeezus!

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Re: cycloptic skinks

Postby Marvell » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:44 pm

[sigh of deeply cultured pain]

Alas, the gymno-arboro-terpsichordist haters...when will they learn?

[/deeply cultured pain]

mifflander
Forum Addict

Re: cycropia steenks

Postby mifflander » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:32 am

I've seen them and didn't enjoy it much. But, going on line in an attempt to get others to join your bashing of them because you had a shitty experience at one of their (free) shows?

Now THAT'S lame.

So, "west siders" would have booed them?

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:55 am

Cycropia always struck me as something that would be a lot more fun to do than to watch. It's kind of a neat background visual for the Orton Park Fest but I've never actually watched a whole show. And as someone else mentioned, it IS free.

The description of the magic arm apparatus was pretty funny though.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:46 am

Behold the apparatus!

TripOne67

Postby TripOne67 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:04 pm

I think they might have been running late, so the 'opening' was their attempt at stalling. I don't know; just an observation. And there were some slow (and some lame) parts.

But overall, I thought it was great fun to watch. I can't wait to see them again, because I know there were things I missed since you can't watch everyone at once.
As for the kids, the ones near me had a great time, which was evident by the running commentary they were giving every time something new happened. Their comparison of the characters to 'My Little Pony' was particularly funny. I'd say that since they've been performing there for years, they must be doing something right.

To anyone that wants to give this a try with "four weeks of training", unless you're already a gymnast or acrobat, let us know how that goes for you once you're out of traction.

fat_man2

Postby fat_man2 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 6:36 pm

I would agree with the original poster, and I wouldn't go out of my way to bash Cycropia per se, I do have some suggestions for next year.

1. This is a family event. That means it's for people with kids. If you don't have kids please stay home or at least stand toward the back.

2. The audio was terrible. I was off to one side with my two small kids and we could barely hear let alone see what was going on.

3. It is important to start on time when doing a family show. Even a few minutes delay can be extremely disruptive for families.

4. Don't hog all the space you can get with your blanket.

That's all. I'm sure it will get better over time!

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:27 am

fat_man2 wrote: .
1. This is a family event. That means it's for people with kids. If you don't have kids please stay home or at least stand toward the back.

How far back would you like us to stand? Can we talk amongst ourselves or is that too disruptive to the real families?

morriskatze

Postby morriskatze » Fri Oct 01, 2010 5:21 pm

narcoleptish wrote:
fat_man2 wrote: .

How far back would you like us to stand? Can we talk amongst ourselves or is that too disruptive to the real families?

I agree with narcoleptish!! I don't think I should have to give birth to qualify for a free show in a park.

Return to “Town Vibe”