What to do/not to do while visiting Madison

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

What to do/not to do while visiting Madison

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:16 pm

I was reading a bit through lists of things to do/not to do while visiting a few major cities, as compiled on concierge.com. For example, here are 10 recommendations on New York City.

They follow a format of "skip this popular option; here's a much better substitute." While Madison certainly doesn't have the tourist draw or size of NYC or San Fran, I got to thinking of what a similar list locally might look like.

So, things to skip/not skip for out-of-towners?

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: What to do/not to do while visiting Madison

Postby thebookpolice » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:17 pm

AV Club Madison* published their recursive rundown of travel guide recommendations in July (We don't negotiate with tourists)

Without duplicating those contained in the above link, my best recommendation is to skip The Great Dane, and find Ale Asylum instead.

*It's been really hard, by the way guys, to get used to what to call your site. "Decider" was just a bad choice, period; I never understood the logic. But is it AV Madison? AV Club Madison?)

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:01 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:my best recommendation is to skip The Great Dane, and find Ale Asylum instead.

Absolutely could not agree more.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:14 pm

Good beer at both. Lousy bartenders at the Dane.
Ale Asylum by MATC isn't feng shui'd at all. The outdoor patio/atrium at the downtown Great Dane is nice for Summer (unless the dumpster is stinkin' the place up).

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:28 pm

supaunknown wrote:Lousy bartenders at the Dane.

Had that experience at the Hilldale location. The Fitchburg location, which I stop at regularly, has decent staff, with a few long-timers I would classify as outstanding (Megan, Chris, Matt).

Also, thanks for the link, TBP.

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:09 pm

Skip UW football and go see Mad Rollin' Dolls rollerderby.

That's right, I said it!

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:23 pm

Go to lakeside eateries: Paisan's, Memorial Union, Sardine, or take a Betty Lou Cruise. Eat at old Madison places like Nick's. Skip the panhandlers.

Thusnelda
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Thusnelda » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:02 am

Oh my god, no Paisan's, please! They've been sleepwalking for at least 20 years. Yet everybody goes there because of the location (and, I suppose, the predictability), so they'll be burning pizzas for years to come, I'm sure.

If you like Italian, go to Osteria Papavero, for one. Cafe Continental. Lombardino's. Vin Santo. (The latter two are further out and more expensive, but always at the top of our lists).

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:54 am

skip pasquals go to guadalajara

skip smoky's go to porky pine pete's

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:50 am

Do walk the trails in the Arboretum late spring, early summer before the mosquitoes come out in full force.

Skip the Arb after those little buggers bloom.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:35 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:*It's been really hard, by the way guys, to get used to what to call your site. "Decider" was just a bad choice, period; I never understood the logic. But is it AV Madison? AV Club Madison?)

Didn't they start calling it The Decider back when Dubya was running the country (into the ground)? Either way, I dig it.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:50 pm

supaunknown wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:*It's been really hard, by the way guys, to get used to what to call your site. "Decider" was just a bad choice, period; I never understood the logic. But is it AV Madison? AV Club Madison?)

Didn't they start calling it The Decider back when Dubya was running the country (into the ground)? Either way, I dig it.

Right, but where's the logic? What does it help a reader decide? On what matters do the writers decide? Because if there are no clear answers for those questions, then it was a trend-anchored name destined to be changed within two years.

It's not coincidence that Rabin mentions politics when explaining the shift in branding.

http://www.mndaily.com/2009/08/04/inter ... than-rabin

Why did The Onion’s Decider websites suddenly get re-branded as A.V. Club? Was the Decider name not working out?

It is hard to launch a new product in this market, which is terrible. I guess eight or nine years ago there was an effort to establish The Onion and A.V. Club as separate brands. I remember thinking at the time, “That’s [expletive] insane. We’re going to try and distance ourselves?”

It reminded me of 2000, when Al Gore was like, “I don’t want to be associated with Bill Clinton .” It backfired and he lost.

They realized we have something strong with the A.V. Club and we were separating ourselves from that to launch something at a scary time.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:05 pm

Do NOT visit the Mustard Museum in Middleton and seize the opportunity to smear raspberry-jalapeño mustard on your naked genitals.

The raspberry-jalapeño mustard will burn. Try something milder, like that one they make from Sierra Nevada pale ale.

buckyor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby buckyor » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:39 pm

scratch wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:my best recommendation is to skip The Great Dane, and find Ale Asylum instead.

Absolutely could not agree more.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I've found the beer I've tried from Ale Asylum to be completely underwhelming. Except for the truly awful Supper Club, I'll take any Capital brew instead every single day.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Sat Aug 28, 2010 2:45 pm

i love supper club. am i in a minority about that?

Return to “Town Vibe”