Shared Driveways

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Shared Driveways

Postby LargeMarge » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:27 pm

My SO and I have been thinking of getting a place together. Nothing in the immediate future, but I started looking online. I have seen some properties I like, but they share the driveway with the house next door. Does anyone here have any experience with that? I guess my big concerns would be having neighbor's guests park in the driveway and sharing snow removal duties.

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Shared Driveways

Postby Walter » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:39 pm

We have that situation with our neighbors. No problems but of course we have great neighbors.

When we moved in, they came over an introduced themselves and we went over how we were going to handle things. It basically boiled down to we each handle our own side. If we get a ton of snow, and the other party can't get to it (at work, out of town, etc), whoever is home will blow it out. I try to get the heavy stuff at the end of the drive from the plow shoveled first because they need to get to work in the morning and I get home from work early in the morning to do it.

Parking is no problem because we stay on our own sides unless there's an overflow possibility (no on street where we live). Then we let the other know and agree on what the arrangement is going to be.

Get it laid out in advance and actually be neighbors and the shared drive shouldn't be a big problem. Maybe I'm just lucky to have great people next door. In our case, a shared driveway makes good neighbors. Thanks K & E!

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:28 pm

Growing up on South Shore Dr, we shared a driveway with our neighbors next door. No probs. Mutual respect. It probably helped that he was a dentist rather than a crackhead.

peripat
Forum God/Goddess

Postby peripat » Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:59 pm

But then there are my neighbors (not my driveway)
If they were yours you could count on visitors parking in the driveway, leaving their vehicles running to show their good intentions, but not coming out when someone honks, not answering the door if someone knocks & in general just keeping the other party out of the driveway for a good 15 minutes each time

lolagirl
Forum Addict

Postby lolagirl » Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:12 am

I shared a driveway for almost 10 years. It was not something I'd go out of my way to find in another house, but it wasn't terrible either. The key is having a good relationship with your neighbor. Talk with them before you buy to gauge how they view sharing the space. Do they tell friends not to pull up in the driveway? Do they limit the time they spend idling (because that exhaust is going to go right into your open windows).

Of course, you're the other part of the relationship. Are you comfortable speaking up when something isn't right, or do you wait for people to read your mind? During the time I shared a driveway, there were a few times when I had to bring up things I didn't like. In each case they were things that my neighbor hadn't even realized were bothering me, and were taken care of right away.

I was lucky; over the time I lived there, I had always had good neighbors. There are some pluses; shoveling was a shared task, which meant that sometimes I would wake up or come home from work to see that the driveway was already done. When repair work was needed, the cost was shared - another bonus.

So - it's not that bad a thing.

LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby LargeMarge » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:52 am

Thanks for all the input! It's still going to be a tough sell for my SO. He is used to country living in a modern house. I am trying to do the opposite of Green Acres...I want to bring my Oliver to the city.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Aug 27, 2010 3:45 pm

Here's another satisfied driveway-sharer, at my old place, for 30 years with a variety of people using the other half. Most people are reasonable once they figure out it's a two-way relationship.

Be sure the deed to your house includes an easement for sharing the driveway. This simply means each party's half of the driveway must be left open for the other party to use freely. It gives you legal recourse if people habitually block the drive or make it impossible for you to use.

Return to “Town Vibe”