New Lien Rd Roundabout

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Re: New Lien Rd Roundabout

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:03 pm

Maeve wrote:I'll be the roundabout
The words will make you out 'n' out
I spend the day your way
Call it morning driving thru the sound and
In and out the valley

Now I've got that fucking song running around my head. Thanks a lot.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:45 pm

fisticuffs wrote:God this is the dumbest ass thread we've ever had.

I agree. Jeebus H. Chripst it's not that hard to figure these things out. I never navigated a roundabout before I took the one off highway 30 and Commercial. It took me one pass through to figure it out. Is it that hard. Is this why Madison drivers suck so much.

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:48 am

Stebben84 wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:God this is the dumbest ass thread we've ever had.

I agree. Jeebus H. Chripst it's not that hard to figure these things out. I never navigated a roundabout before I took the one off highway 30 and Commercial. It took me one pass through to figure it out. Is it that hard. Is this why Madison drivers suck so much.

I like roundabouts just fine, and the Lien road intersection is the perfect place where one was sorely needed. Reading this thread gave me a headache. Seriously. It's like people trying to understand how to put on pants, and trying to explain it to them, and they get even more confused. I'm glad those who aren't comfortable with the roundabouts plan on staying off them. Win/win. And the #1 reason why Madison (area) drivers suck so much is TAILGATING, not roundabout-hating.

Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Postby Broadsheet » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:46 pm

I like the new one because it's bigger and flatter and you can assess the traffic in all directions, get the big picture as you move in.

One story I read said the safety advantage is that most accidents are glancing blows, not T-boners.

Let me add my vote to the tailgater indictment.

mvalfierno

Postby mvalfierno » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:01 am

Ok, I'll eat my hat. I've driven this thing about 5 times since my last post. I've driven on it with varying degrees of traffic, and come at it from different entries with different exits. I don't hate it. I might even like it.

I think this traffic circle works because it is big. None of the other traffic circles I've driven have been large enough.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:03 pm

I tried it too. I think the theory is great but the practicalities don't always fit the theory, and since we've got to get used to these things I decided I better get with the program. I actually did a bunch of trial runs the last few weekends just to analyze the realities of various circles

I agree about the large size being better, except that people who are going straight through (a 180, not a 90- or 270-degree turn) tend to take as straight a path as possible, cutting across lanes when entering and again when leaving. Human nature, I suppose, and probably just happens when the circle is relatively empty.

If you stay in the outside lane, you're fine. You can see who's doing what and mostly avoid trouble. Your biggest problem is people who can't figure out that "yield" sometimes means "stop and wait until the cars already using the circle pass by." More and more people are stopping and yielding, which is good.

The inside lanes are for cowboys and cab drivers. No matter what they tell you, you DO cross the path of traffic both upon entering and exiting the inside lane. Maybe no one's "supposed" to be using the same part of your lane at the same time, but they are. I did not encounter this problem in the Lien Road circle (nice and big) but I also tried out the much smaller one near Wal Mart off South Broadway and had a very near miss. I was trying the inner circle with the intention of doing a 270-degree rotation, and when time came to follow the painted stripes and make my exit, someone was in the lane behind me on my right, in my blind spot, intending to continue circling and not exit. I only saw him at the last minute when I looked over my shoulder. I was using my right turn signal, but he didn't care and if I'd have followed my lane stripes I'd have been the loser in a slowish sideswipe, because his big ol' 76 Lincoln way outmatched my little Toyota. I went around the circle a second time (hey, it's small) and lost him and managed to exit safely on the second pass.

So look over your shoulder if you want to exit that middle circle -- I know, nobody does this today -- because nothing prevents another car from being in the outer circle hiding behind your rear pillar.

If they can iron out that one little problem, I think the public will be OK with traffic circles once they get the idea and SLOW DOWN. The smaller one is marked 15 mph and that turns out to be pretty reasonable.

So there. How'd I do in the putting on pants lessons?

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:19 pm

snoqueen wrote:If they can iron out that one little problem

Which one? That some people are inveterately shitty drivers? That's not the fault of a roundabout. You've got to be an attentive driver going in a straight-ass line on a 4-lane thoroughfare.
Last edited by thebookpolice on Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:35 pm

Sno's right, they're quite doable if you stay in the outside lane all the way, no matter what the signs tell you to do. The larger ones are much easier and safer (meaning less chance of a non-fatal, no-injury fenderbender that'll ruin your whole day) than the smaller ones, not to mention easier for the snowplows to keep clean.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Sep 23, 2010 12:38 pm

The inside lanes are for cowboys and cab drivers.

And anyone intending to turn left.

No matter what they tell you, you DO cross the path of traffic both upon entering and exiting the inside lane. Maybe no one's "supposed" to be using the same part of your lane at the same time, but they are.

If they're using the same part of the lane at the same time then you didn't yield. This is infallible. If there are problems it's due to ignorance not deisgn. Period.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:36 pm

snoqueen wrote:The inside lanes are for cowboys and cab drivers. No matter what they tell you, you DO cross the path of traffic both upon entering and exiting the inside lane.

This is so not true and I'll explain.

I take these roundabouts all the time. I prefer to get to the east town area this way than East Wash.

Here is my scenario.

Off of Milwaukee I take Swanton Rd. I take a left on N. Thompson and bam, I'm about to hit the roundabout. I get in the inside lane that takes me around one roundabout and I can still continue on the inside lane. I then get to the other roundabout and continue on the inside lane and that takes me back to N. Thompson. I never have to get over because both lanes continue on that road.

I then get to the next "new" roundabout. I continue in the inside lane and that takes me to Zeier Rd. That inside lane and outside lane continue to Zeier Rd and blammo, I've never had to switch lanes. Those two lanes will also take you onto Lien Rd as well with no lane changes.

Both lanes tend to always go towards the direction of major thoroughfares. If I get on the roundabout and know I have to turn right at the next turnoff, then I get in the right lane immediately.

Just try this scenario and maybe it will help you understand.

After this lengthy tutorial on roundabouts, I will say the inside lane is not for cowboys, but for people who know how to use roundabouts. No offense intended.

Keep using them and you will get it. I used it the other day thinking about this thread and thought about how efficient roundabouts are. If anyone wants me to do a PSA about them, I'm up for the challenge.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu Sep 23, 2010 8:21 pm

I can't wait until the traffic imagineers get a clue and put one in at the intersection of Speedway and Highland. As it is, it's a case study in brownian motion. There's not even a bus/bike lane!

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:02 pm

Both lanes tend to always go towards the direction of major thoroughfares. If I get on the roundabout and know I have to turn right at the next turnoff, then I get in the right lane immediately.

I thought you were never supposed to change lanes once you were in a roundabout (see rules of roundabouts, several pages back).

But hey, if it works for you and I can see what you're doing and we both go slow enough so I can get out of your way, that's all I care. I think we'll both be fine.

The dual roundabouts on Thompson going toward East Towne actually work pretty well -- I've used the exact route you described a number of times and the only thing to watch for is people who don't get the idea of "yield." It'll sort itself out over time, and I'm not breaking any laws by using the outer ring so I'll just keep on using it.

That little scroungy one by Wal-Mart on the south side is still a bitch, though. If you west side folks get one on Speedway/Highland be sure they make it big enough, though I think they'll have to take out part of the cemetery to fit it in. Why don't they at least put in a light? That is one messed up corner.

blablabla

Postby blablabla » Mon Sep 27, 2010 12:38 pm

I have no problem with round a bouts. It all the morons around me....

autobrew

Postby autobrew » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:34 pm

if you think you can handle the roundabouts here, take it to the next level:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_Roundabout_%28Swindon%29

plus you get the added challenge of driving on the opposite side of the road. fun for everyone!

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:47 pm

autobrew wrote:if you think you can handle the roundabouts here, take it to the next level

Found an animated video of how this particular one works.

Something tells me we won't be installing these anytime soon.

Return to “Town Vibe”