New Lien Rd Roundabout

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: New Lien Rd Roundabout

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:14 am

Fine. I KNOW he meant inner lane. Because I know how to drive in a fucking roundabout. The degrees in rocket science and brain surgery help sure but even a dropout can look at the picture MP posted and figure this shit out.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:17 am

fisticuffs wrote:Fine. I KNOW he meant inner lane. Because I know how to drive in a fucking roundabout. The degrees in rocket science and brain surgery help sure but even a dropout can look at the picture MP posted and figure this shit out.

Couldn't you just flip the bird to the next driver in the roundabout who looks confused, so they know you know how stupid they are? Maybe honk at 'em a few times and ride their bumper, just to make sure?

bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:32 pm

Hey, Isn't the Capitol Square just a big roundabout or should I say "squareabout" ?

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:58 pm

bassbari wrote:Hey, Isn't the Capitol Square just a big roundabout or should I say "squareabout" ?

I was going to say all those stoplights disqualified it but after some thought, I have to say I don't know if roundabouts can have corners or stoplights.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:05 pm

rabble wrote:
fisticuffs wrote:Fine. I KNOW he meant inner lane. Because I know how to drive in a fucking roundabout. The degrees in rocket science and brain surgery help sure but even a dropout can look at the picture MP posted and figure this shit out.

Couldn't you just flip the bird to the next driver in the roundabout who looks confused, so they know you know how stupid they are? Maybe honk at 'em a few times and ride their bumper, just to make sure?

I actually meant outer lane to take a right not left. Gotta not type so fast.

When people come to a complete stop at a yield sign I do honk. Maybe it will teach them how to use these.

Michael Patrick's picture is spot on.

Once again, if you don't like them, don't use them. There are streets and intersections I avoid because I can't stand them. The same can be said for the roundabouts.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:23 pm

Stebben84 wrote:I actually meant outer lane to take a right not left. Gotta not type so fast.

Specially when you're trying to splain somethin. Yeah, that would be nice.

HONK!

mvalfierno

Postby mvalfierno » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:03 pm

Uncle_Leaver wrote:If you can't negotiate a roundabout, you never should have passed Driver's Ed. It's as simple as observing the yield signs, which I realize is akin to rocket science for some of you fuckin' morons.

Do us all a favor. Sell your car and buy a bus pass.

Dude, I *can* negotiate a roundabout. Its the rest of the douchebags out there that cant that make me avoid them like the plague.

mvalfierno

Postby mvalfierno » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:05 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
mvalfierno wrote:Any bets as to whether a roundabout gets installed on Reiner / Sprecher? Sheesh.

I suspect this is exasperation talking, but no bet. It's not happening. Roundabouts aren't really ideal at country highway speeds. Whether they're appropriate for cars exiting a highway (Thompson) is another debate, but there's no doubt that Sprecher/Reiner and T will remain a traditional fourway intersection.

I don't mind 'em either, but it is certainly interesting that the east side gets so many.

Yup, was/is exasperation :-)

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:43 pm

Stebben84 wrote:When people come to a complete stop at a yield sign I do honk. Maybe it will teach them how to use these.

If someone's coming from the left and there's no time/space to merge in then I stop and wait for them to pass before entering the roundabout. Yield the right of way. Honk your brains out.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:45 pm

When people come to a complete stop at a yield sign I do honk. Maybe it will teach them how to use these.

Here I go interpreting Stebben again. I'm pretty sure the situation Stebben honks for is when there are no cars coming from the left. A Yield when there's no one to Yield to. Make more sense?

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:59 pm

supaunknown wrote:
Stebben84 wrote:When people come to a complete stop at a yield sign I do honk. Maybe it will teach them how to use these.

If someone's coming from the left and there's no time/space to merge in then I stop and wait for them to pass before entering the roundabout. Yield the right of way. Honk your brains out.

fisticuffs wrote:

Here I go interpreting Stebben again. I'm pretty sure the situation Stebben honks for is when there are no cars coming from the left. A Yield when there's no one to Yield to. Make more sense?

Maybe I should have you dictate for me :D

I figured it was obvious that you yield to the left and of course stop when a car is coming. So often on these roundabouts people stop when they don't have to. Even though there are people who drive them and can't figure them out, I still use them because, overall, I find them efficient and easy to navigate.

mvalfierno

Postby mvalfierno » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:27 am

With all the road rage stories about roundabouts, consider posting here: http://driveslikeadouchebag.com/

:D

robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Postby robbie webber » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:08 am

I have a friend that grew up in the south, and still has family there. His family used to bitch about roundabouts until my friend pointed out: "When there is a hurricane, and the electricity goes out, they still work."

His family now thinks roundabouts are the best thing ever invented for traffic.

Roundabouts have been shown to be significantly safer than normal intersections. Head-on and T-bone crashes, which are very dangerous, are unknown at roundabouts. If there is a crash, it is a sideswipe, which, while less than ideal for both parties, is unlikely to result in significant injury or death.

Roundabouts also can move more traffic in less space through an intersection. That means less pavement and less cost to the taxpayer, two good goals.

And whenever people told me that people in Madison wouldn't understand how to use them, I pointed out that there are roundabouts in Wisconsin Rapids, Shoboygan, Mt Horeb, and many other smaller WI communities, and I always thought people in Madison were pretty smart compared to the rest of the state. That usually ended the complaints on that front.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:39 pm

My least favorite roundabout is at South Towne and Gisholt south of the beltline. Too many big trucks and clueless people like me don't mix.

It isn't on Goggle Maps so it must be rather resent. I wasn't prepared for it on my last journey to that neck of the swamp. Is there an alternative?

The ones in Mount Horeb are kinda fun because there is no traffic.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:34 pm

OK, I did the Google thing and found a four-point set of instructions on the WisDOT page. Rule two is this:

Stay in your lane; do not change lanes.

Here's a rule on the order of "wash, rinse, repeat" on your shampoo bottle. If you stay in your lane, and you are using the inside lane (the recommended way of going three-quarters of the way around the circle before exiting, the equivalent of a right turn-- see helpful diagram previously posted) YOU CANNOT LEAVE THE ROUNDABOUT WITHOUT BREAKING THE ABOVE RULE. And if you are using the roundabout during a busy part of the day, nobody's gonna let you merge outward. This is one of those times a 1987 Buick is your vehicle of choice. Why let somebody mess up your cute little Mini Cooper?

Of course, nobody is in the sky watching, so the sensible solution is do everything from the outer lane and be super-super careful not to get merged into. I agree, a sideswipe crash is better than a head-on, but who the hell wants to get their car totaled?

I didn't need to go to East Towne anyway.

Return to “Town Vibe”