Willy St. Co-op driveway to Jenifer St

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
lysander
Forum God/Goddess

Willy St. Co-op driveway to Jenifer St

Postby lysander » Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:57 pm

Holy butthurt, Batman.

While skimming the blogosphere, I noticed an amazing amount of pants-shitting about Willy St. Co-op wanting to allow customers to exit their parking lot directly onto Jenifer St.

http://www.willystreet.coop/update_abou ... jenifer_st
http://dekerivers.wordpress.com/2010/08 ... -driveway/
http://dekerivers.wordpress.com/2010/08 ... r-problem/
http://powervoyeur.blogspot.com/2010/08 ... s-own.html

What say you, TDPF? Is the Co-op turning into coldhearted capitalist pro-car scum? Or is this a reasonable response to the city's plan to tear up the already-congested Williamson St.? Will Matt Logan chime in?

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Willy St. Co-op driveway to Jenifer St

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:45 am

The way I see it, cars are going to be using Jenifer Street a lot during the construction anyways. Might as well let the Coop actually get some business. Even if the drive stays, I can't imagine every customer is going to use it versus the Willy Street entrance.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:17 am

Yeah. Those folks who say the driveway is going to make one bit of difference in street traffic next summer are lying, either to themselves or the world. They know closing Willy is going to turn Jenifer into a freeway.

The big problem with the Coop driveway on will will be the people who insist on turning into it from the eastbound land, and exiting into the eastbound lane. I don't know if there's a way to force people to enter and exit using the westbound but it sure would help the traffic flow if they could.

barney
Forum God/Goddess

Postby barney » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:48 am

I think the Co-op's presence there has already impacted the traffic on Jenifer Street more than the neighborhood realizes. I know many people who use Jenifer Street INSTEAD of Willy Street, because people turning into the parking lot creates such a giant clusterfuck.

As an aside, while I understand the residents' desires to keep the neighborhood like Pleasantville, gentrification and hipness are double-edged swords. Now, I know this would never happen, but what if the co-op was successful enough that they wanted to grow their current store and had to either expand or move? What would the residents be willing to sacrifice for their precious co-op? It is a business, after all. (I think they should move to the vacant Union Corners lot, that would rock.)

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:44 pm

This must be the tread for non-whiners.

I hope when the west side coop opens the whining is reduced.

Violet_Skye
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Violet_Skye » Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:52 am

barney wrote:I think the Co-op's presence there has already impacted the traffic on Jenifer Street more than the neighborhood realizes. I know many people who use Jenifer Street INSTEAD of Willy Street, because people turning into the parking lot creates such a giant clusterfuck.

As an aside, while I understand the residents' desires to keep the neighborhood like Pleasantville, gentrification and hipness are double-edged swords. Now, I know this would never happen, but what if the co-op was successful enough that they wanted to grow their current store and had to either expand or move? What would the residents be willing to sacrifice for their precious co-op? It is a business, after all. (I think they should move to the vacant Union Corners lot, that would rock.)

Agreed, agreed and agreed.

BrendonSmith

Postby BrendonSmith » Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:29 pm

Good afternoon,

If you're interested, Willy Street Co-op's FAQ about the project to install a driveway onto Jenifer St. has been updated. Here is the link: http://www.willystreet.coop/FAQ_about_p ... Jenifer_St.

Have a nice weekend!
--Brendon

--
Brendon Smith
Director of Communications
Willy Street Co-op
1221 Williamson St
Madison, WI 53703
Direct: 608-237-1213
General: 608-251-0884
http://www.willystreet.coop

dudemeister
Forum Addict

Postby dudemeister » Fri Oct 22, 2010 4:54 pm

A new news article:

In a surprising development, the Willy St. Cooperative has announced plans to convert their main location and primary business at 1221 Williamson St. into an EPA Superfund waste disposal site. The current building will be bulldozed and the site converted to a five hundred foot deep hole. The hole will be used to dispose of various Superfund waste including PCB-containing river sludge and top-secret radioactive barrels from Lake Superior. Raw sewage will be used to cap the site once it has been filled.

Coop manager Anne Flynn said, "We believe this huge hole will create a permanent reminder of our hatred for the neighborhood and the environment for years to come." Outraged neighbors have banded together to write a 342-page manifesto linking the Coop to various ongoing conspiracies including the Illuminati, Bohemian Grove, and the New World Order. Neighborhood groups have vowed to fight the development. Neighborhood leader, Terrence Corbin said, "We will fight this by any means necessary. If that means we have to resort to angry glances at the Coop, we will." West-side resident and Coop member, Tammy Hanson wondered, "[If] there would still be parking for my Hummer near the hole?"

The Plan Commission of the City of Madison has said that no zoning code explicitly prohibits five hundred foot deep Superfund waste sites although concerns were raised about the landscaping of the required five foot buffer zone around the hole. Local neighborhood associations have not commented on the development.

HamsterArmageddon
Forum Addict

Postby HamsterArmageddon » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:49 am

Saw the construction this weekend. I'm glad this is moving forward, it's about time.

When should we expect the human shields to show up and block the completed driveway?

scratch
Forum God/Goddess

Postby scratch » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:03 am

HamsterArmageddon wrote:Saw the construction this weekend. I'm glad this is moving forward, it's about time.

When should we expect the human shields to show up and block the completed driveway?

Yesterday if not sooner.

Slick Willy
Forum Addict

Postby Slick Willy » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:56 pm

Every time the Willy Co-op would ask for suggestions, I always would recommend that they reconsider opening up an entrance on Jennifer St. The Willy St entrance is so dangerous to everyone: pedestrians, cyclist, and motorists alike. I've seen and been involved in so many close calls that I felt like something had to change. Plus, like someone else said, there is an absolute clusterfuck when someone tries to turn into the parking lot from the westbound lane during rush hour. Residents on Jennifer St are basically saying that they don't care if people are put at serious risk with there only being one entrance to the parking lot on such a congested street. Everyone else be damned is the message that I'm getting. The fact is that people park on Jennifer to go to the Co-op, anyway. Residents all up and down Jennifer seem to be up in arms when it really would only affect the one block. It wouldn't make sense for motorists to turn off Willy any sooner than that one block. Most of that one block is apartments, so why is it such a big deal? I really don't think that the new Co-op entrance would make Jennifer St so much more noisy, congested, and dangerous. The difference will be slight at most.

KidCapitol
Forum Addict

Postby KidCapitol » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:59 am

You can tell we are talking about a neighborhood co-op and not a chain supermarket when a stupid lil driveway is being proposed and it creates a stir. Even to the point of a few yard signs?
Face it: The neighborhood Willy Co-op is to Co-ops what Woodman's is to chain grocery stores. Busy, big and popular with death monsters in the parking lot.
I don't like it either. I wish it could be just bicycle/foot traffic only but it is what it is.
When I lived closer, I would use the Jennifer St. bicycle entrance. It was nice to feel like I had my own exclusive secret way to enter and exit. But oh well. Times change and we have to get used to it.

If you want something to complain about, take a trip back in time, drive to Mifflin St. Co-op and tell us how your street parking experience was.

Return to “Town Vibe”