Goodman Pool to Madison Families: DROP DEAD

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Goodman Pool to Madison Families: DROP DEAD

Postby depinmad » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:26 pm

Sunday, August 8th

Arrived at Goodman CITY Pool at 3:45. Happy to see that it wasn't as insanely packed as it has been virtually every other hot day this Summer. Park, unload the family and head to the gate with our season passes. Stopped halfway there by two women with kids telling us they are closing the pool at 4pm due to LOW ATTENDANCE and that they aren't letting anyone in.
As we talk cars are pouring into the lot filled with families with the same idea as us.
It is 83 degrees, hot, sunny and humid. One woman gives me the number of someone to call and complain to, a supervisor, Brad. I call the number on my cell and he answers and I complain and ask him why they are closing the pool THREE HOURS EARLY. He says that only a little over a hundred people had come to the pool as of 2:45 pm so a decision was made to close early. I say there are plenty of people in the parking lot wanting to swim and that this is an outrage. He says that no one on site had called him to tell him there was an increase in attendance. Apparently they have been turning people away since 3:30.
Brad says he will call the pool and see what is going on. I walk to the pool office and they tell me they just got off the phone with Brad and nothing has changed. That the decision was made by Brad's higher up, Steve, at 2:45 and they are sorry for the inconvenience.
What a despicable mess. The parks department should be ashamed of themselves. What kind of policy is this??
When people get suckered into buying season passes to this place at the beginning of the Summer it should clearly state that low attendance for the whole day will be determined EARLY in the day, no matter what the weather forecast, and that unless the pool is PACKED, it will be considered low attendance.
And that decision makers are not actually at the pool for critical decisions like this. They instead rely on High School and College kids to inform them of any changes.
Unreal.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Goodman Pool to Madison Families: DROP DEAD

Postby Average Joe » Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:47 pm

Seems like city employees have developed the same tin ear syndrome that has infected Mayor Dave since he was re-elected.

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:03 pm

I understand the reasoning they used, but someone should have been more flexible when presented with increased attendance. You are owed an apology, and management needs to review the process. I mean, it rained this morning. OF COURSE attendance would be low at first, and increase as people realized it (the rain) was over for awhile.

Right Bower
Forum Addict

Postby Right Bower » Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:50 pm

I worked as a lifeguard during college summers in Stoughton at the "Mudhole." If you're from there, you know what I'm talking about.

Anywho, we only shut down for lightning, and if there was like two hours between anyone showing up. So yeah, we were open through rain, and sometimes for two people showing up to swim on a 65 degree evening for 15 minutes.

That place should be run just like a regular business is - open at a predetermined and advertised time, close at a predetermined and advertised time. Head lifeguard or supervisor's decision in threatening weather.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:45 pm

This is not good.
No City service should have the option of being unpredictable or mysterious – no matter how much the theoretical savings attributed to quisling bureaucrats. Private business models in a public context are useful when they're useful. But too often they're ham-fisted and damn expensive, all things considered.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:35 am

I'm even angrier about it today than I was yesterday. Got a few cursory responses from Parks dept officials that I e-mailed but nothing close to an apology or suggestion that they would examine the policy.
Seriously contemplating organizing a one day boycott of the Pool.

Low attendance, my ass.

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Galoot » Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:43 am

You have every right to be angry, depinmad. This is completely unexcusable.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:11 am

If you do organize something that involves something I can sign or send an email to, I'm in. We don't use the pool but we've got grandkids who will soon be of age to use that pool when they come to visit and I have some strong feelings about what happened yesterday.

Green

Postby Green » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:21 am

I believe the lake was open. The beach on Lake Wingra isn't far from there. Did you try that?

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:34 am

As a matter of fact we headed straight to Wingra Beach from the pool. It too was closed for business, with orange signs all over the place and no one there. Which makes it all the more despicable that they closed the pool. As I found out when I made a video of the Goodman Pool a few weeks ago, the same supervisors are in charge of the beaches AND the pool. There was zero co-ordination or consideration yesterday.
Still waiting to hear back from anyone in the parks dept other than just saying thanks for your input.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:03 pm

depinmad wrote:Still waiting to hear back from anyone in the parks dept other than just saying thanks for your input.

I would advise you to try contacting your alder, even if the pool is not in your district.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:05 pm

Will do.
The more I think of it the more I would love to organize a one day boycott of the pool, with the goal being to advocate a repeal of the "low attendance" policy.
I am hearing a rumor that when they do head counts they only count the daily paying customers and not the season pass attendees.
Really hateful policies.

robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Postby robbie webber » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:16 pm

You could also contact to Parks Commission. Or go to speak at their next meeting and ask that they put this policy on a future agenda.
http://www.cityofmadison.com/mayor/myCo ... 104000.cfm

If you want to speak, every city committee/board/commission has a public comment period at the beginning. You can speak on an item not on the agenda and ask them to take up the item in the future. They won't be able to discuss something not noticed for that meeting, so you won't get a discussion that night, but you can at least gauge their reaction and bring it to their attention.

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:24 pm

Thanks Robbie. Kevin Briske IS one of the people I e mailed yesterday.
Here is his response from yesterday at 5pm:

Thanks Ben for the input. I will check into this... KB

depinmad
Forum God/Goddess

Postby depinmad » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:13 pm

Update from Kevin Briski:

Thanks again Ben and sorry that this was your experience yesterday. Regarding your perception, I’d say not true, but understand your thought process. Pool closure is actually a city council directed policy and last yr it was used so many times due to cold temps, certainly not the case yesterday. And as you mention, attendance has been high throughout this season. Per policy, when attendance is below 50 guests, the pool can be closed. Yesterday, our average attendance was below 30 guests. So process was followed, but I have asked staff to re-evaluate when we have conditions like yesterday, high temp and humidity.

I'm not buying those numbers... my response to him:

I would say policy should be changed so that low attendance is not a reason for pool closure, especially early on a Sunday that is hot humid and sunny. And that such a decision can easily be reversed if come to hastily and situation changes. I am telling you that when we got to the pool there were at least 50 people in the pool, and that another thirty were turned away in the brief ten minutes I was there.
It was an outrageous situation. And I hear that when a head count is done it is only about people paying daily admission, not season pass holders.
My inclination is to organize a one day boycott of the pool and to drum up as much publicity as possible regarding the situation. If there is another process that I can be a part of please let me know.

Return to “Town Vibe”