Taking photos of Gorham St sunbathers is disorderly conduct

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Taking photos of Gorham St sunbathers is disorderly conduct

Postby Bwis53 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:21 pm

Shit, that's right! So many of their "bits and pieces" hanging out, do have tattoos! That, and getting so tan, is going to turn them into real attractive old ladies.

If they're flashing, they shouldn't be all that surprised when someone flashes back at them.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:20 pm

You know, public photography is legal. There's no real need to go beyond that unless you're directly engaging the photographer in the discussion. As it is, this town has enough of a reputation for being prissy and effete. That's generally an unearned reputation, but there you have it.

acereraser
Forum God/Goddess

Postby acereraser » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:49 pm

HeyZeus wrote:
scratch wrote:
HeyZeus wrote:I'm sure he's a fine fellow, but once you're over 30, stop taking pictures of girls out in public. It's creepy.

Sounds like a youthful delusion. It can also be creepy when the picture taker is under 30. Don't sell your budding capacity for creepiness short, hot stuff.

Yeah, but when you're a card-carrying AARP member with a gray neckbeard, "serial killer" glasses, a fat gut and man boobs — it's time to stop taking pics of girls 1/3 your age.

Someone in their twenties might just be horny.

I would think the older person you are describing is probably pretty horny, too, you unfeeling ageist.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:03 pm

While we're on the subject, what do you think of that dude posting his "candids" on the Isthmus group? I've thought about booting him before, but haven't for one reason or another. I guess I'm pretty hands-off on that; haven't deleted a photo in well over a year.

Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:03 pm

jjoyce wrote:While we're on the subject, what do you think of that dude posting his "candids" on the Isthmus group?

What's wrong/illegal with what he's doing? Since when do you need peoples permission to publish photos that were taken in a public space?

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:42 pm

I'm still wondering which flikr poster people are referring to? Is it moonray2012? He has a lot of women sexy photo posts but I wouldn't say they are candid or the women look disgusted. They seem to be posing and don't mind their photo taken.

As for putting them in the Isthmus pool, it doesn't seem illegal if the subjects were on public property. But it's kind of tacky and some of them may not like it and complain to Isthmus. Do you have a legal dept to ask about this?

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:50 pm

Shorty wrote:I'm still wondering which flikr poster people are referring to? Is it moonray2012? He has a lot of women sexy photo posts but I wouldn't say they are candid or the women look disgusted. They seem to be posing and don't mind their photo taken.

As for putting them in the Isthmus pool, it doesn't seem illegal if the subjects were on public property. But it's kind of tacky and some of them may not like it and complain to Isthmus. Do you have a legal dept to ask about this?

No, it's this guy - http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwphoto/. I certainly don't think there's anything illegal in there, just mildly creepy.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:51 pm

Shorty wrote:I'm still wondering which flikr poster people are referring to?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rwphoto/

Do you have a legal dept to ask about this?

I think that's Walter.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:17 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:

Count me as a fan. I think there's really something to be said for capturing candids like he does. I can't speak for other people's sense of what's pervy, artistic or whatnot. Often the line seems to be blurred between titillation and outrage.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:57 pm

supaunknown wrote:
TheBookPolice wrote:

Count me as a fan. I think there's really something to be said for capturing candids like he does. I can't speak for other people's sense of what's pervy, artistic or whatnot. Often the line seems to be blurred between titillation and outrage.

There's a place for it, sure. I'm not saying it's offensive; I'm saying it gives me the heebie jeebies.

It's 10-1 chicks in his Flickr stream. Dude doesn't have to be Henri Cartier-Bresson to get away with candid photography of the ladies, but Overweight Internet-Librarian is not the kind of artistic cachet that earns someone a pass for giving me the willies.

Else shit, I'd be doing it.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:02 pm

supaunknown wrote:I can't speak for other people's sense of what's pervy...

His profile pic.

I like his collection. If I were to see myself there I'd be uncomfortable, but only because I think of myself as observer, not observed. That's not so much a pervy thing as a nervy thing.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:06 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:
supaunknown wrote:

There's a place for it, sure. I'm not saying it's offensive; I'm saying it gives me the heebie jeebies.

It's 10-1 chicks in his Flickr stream. Dude doesn't have to be Henri Cartier-Bresson to get away with candid photography of the ladies, but Overweight Internet-Librarian is not the kind of artistic cachet that earns someone a pass for giving me the willies.

Else shit, I'd be doing it.

I actually know someone that's in there - I'd pointed it out to her a while ago and she was indeed creeped out. I sure can't say why it's creepy (and I can't say it's not fun to look at either) but I'm guessing her response to it wouldn't be exactly unique in the pool of young ladies featured there.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:14 pm

And lest anyone think I'm giving gentlement the business for being oglers, I also criticized Flickrer (and female herself) Central Historian for posting a lengthy and awkwardly lingering set of photos of a high school car wash. Bikinis, soapy thighs and all. It was inappropriate for her to do it, too.

(She took the pictures down after a little while, but they were in the Isthmus pool too, IIRC.)

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:43 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:And lest anyone think I'm giving gentlement the business for being oglers, I also criticized Flickrer (and female herself) Central Historian for posting a lengthy and awkwardly lingering set of photos of a high school car wash. Bikinis, soapy thighs and all. It was inappropriate for her to do it, too.

Yet you were the one who thought enough about it to write her a critique.
Was that you I saw Twittering under the bleachers at the high school girl's volleyball game?

titillation/outrage

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:50 pm

TheBookPolice wrote:Bikinis, soapy thighs and all. It was inappropriate for her to do it, too...

I'm having a hard time visualizing this. Could you maybe be more descriptive? (I'm looking for a 300 minimum word count.)

Return to “Town Vibe”