Highway M expansion

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Highway M expansion

Postby Shorty » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:14 am

There will be a lot of road construction on the far West side near the belt line as they expand the Pleasant View, Mineral Pt, Hwy M, Midtown, and other nearby roads. The whole thing will take five years. About 1/3 of the funds are coming from federal stimulus money. It's a shame to lose more of that beautiful farm land and scenery to development. Verona and W. Madison are basically merging.

http://www.channel3000.com/traffic/24400625/detail.html
Highway M Expansion Gets Under Way
VERONA, Wis. -- Road construction has begun on a multiphase plan to widen and expand the Highway M corridor from Middleton to Verona.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Highway M expansion

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:23 am

There's more than enough farm land out here to accommodate some better infrastructure. Ever been on Mineral Point and M at rush hour? Something needed to be done years ago. I lived in the farm house on Mineral Point and Pleasant View for a year. The landlord has 150 acres (a gold mine). It's just the immediate family that farms that land. The city is already paying him well for the small section needed for the new round about at Pleasant View.

Shorty
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Shorty » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:32 am

Yes I know the traffic is bad on Mineral Point and M, because the area has been over developed especially booming Verona the Epic town. I still say it's a scenic area to lose and now I will have to go further West for peace and quiet.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:36 am

because the area has been over developed especially booming Verona the Epic town.

Booming Verona and Epic town have done wonders for my Mt. Horeb home value. Epic has brought a lot of good paying good benefit jobs to the area. If you want peace and quiet go a few miles further down the road. We've got plenty of it out here.

robbie webber
Forum God/Goddess

Postby robbie webber » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:56 am

Too bad the other communities that are contributing the all the traffic in that area aren't chipping in on Hwy M and Mineral Point (Hwy S) expansions. the City of Madison and its taxpayers are shouldering the majority of the burden. I believe $20 million or so. As a matter of fact, just the S & M intersection will run $20 million, and the City (you as taxpayers) get to pay half of that.

Yes, the traffic is bad out there, but the Madison taxpayers shouldn't be the ones paying for the bad behavior of commuters from other communities. These are county roads, yet the county is only throwing in a few scraps.

Besides, expanding roads to cure congestion is like buying a new belt to cure obesity. Anyone ever outgrown that pair of "really loose pants" from a few years back?

We will get out of the cycle of road expansion and sprawl that goes with it - and it is a cycle, each contributing to the other - until we start saying no to the expectation that you can drive everywhere, any time, without delay.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:01 am

Yes, the traffic is bad out there, but the Madison taxpayers shouldn't be the ones paying for the bad behavior of commuters from other communities. These are county roads, yet the county is only throwing in a few scraps.

Bad Behavior? Doesn't Madison get tax revenue from the businesses these people are commuting to? Didn't Shorty state in the opening post that 1/3 of this was paid for with stimulus money? How is driving to work "bad behavior"?

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:06 am

Furthermore don't all these poorly behaved commuters buy food and other goods in Madison? If your economy didn't include these commuters how do you think your district would fare? Maybe the solution is to take all the jobs out of Robbie's district and move them to Verona so they can drive on Verona's roads and eat in lunch at Verona's restaurants and shop in Verona's shops. You know why a lot of these people didn't decide to just live in Madison where they work? Housing costs and taxes. I got a lot more for my money driving 15 minutes out of town on those country roads.

Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby Goober McTuber » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:20 am

Well, mister fister, it might be time to change the location on your profile.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:21 am

Fixt.

Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:29 am

Sprawl and all its negative aspects (pollution, wars, obesity, global warming, etc) will not stop until we stop making it easy to commute long distances. Id love to see higher gas prices/taxes and more traffic on the roads.

Perhaps when it takes an hour to get from M and Mineral Point to downtown people will start thinking about a) living closer to town b) taking alternative transport c) working closer to home.

I'm sick of subsidizing roads to help people ruin our planet, economy and society. Lets use our taxes for something better.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:08 pm

I'm sick of subsidizing roads to help people ruin our planet, economy and society. Lets use our taxes for something better.

What part of your ass did you pull this out of? How do roads ruin our economy and society? Admittedly they aren't too good for the environment. We have watched the buck get passed on infrastructure projects like this year after year. Good roadways should help out commerce not destroy it. What to you is a better use of our tax dollars? I'm gonna guess it ain't health care. Is it bombs? Laser Planes? You don't seem too fond of paying teachers, police, fire departments, or bus drivers? You're running out of public works to spend your precious money on. Do you even pay property taxes?

AC

Postby AC » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:15 pm

Off the cuff, I would think that corridor is used less to get downtown than it is used to get from the many residential areas in SW Madison and Verona to the employment centers in W Madison and Middleton. It's also the best way to get to PD, another corridor with many employers (many of them in Fitchburg), or businesses in Verona for many residents of W Madison and Middleton. These aren't outrageous commutes, IMO.

Madison is fortunate to have some room to expand out there and create some new jobs with tons of residential areas very close by. Not every expanding or new business will be willing to be shoehorned into some existing space downtown. It creates more than one focus for commerce in the region, not just bedroom communities of commuters.

Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:45 pm

fisticuffs wrote:

What part of your ass did you pull this out of? How do roads ruin our economy and society?

Economy: more roads = more cars/SUVs = more oil = more wars = bankrupting USA = less money for other things like schools, police, etc

Society: more roads = more cars/SUVs = more oil = less walking/biking = more sitting on our collective fat asses = higher healthcare costs + more middle east involvement = more deaths = more hate = more terrorism

Get it?
Environment (this one is easy enough even fisti gets it so I wont go into it)

Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:47 pm

AC wrote:Off the cuff, I would think that corridor is used less to get downtown than it is used to get from the many residential areas in SW Madison and Verona to the employment centers in W Madison and Middleton.

Cities that suck = spread out (think LA)
Cities that rock = confined by geography (think NYC)

Madison can become Kansas City but I dont want to subsidize it.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:49 pm

robbie webber wrote:We will get out of the cycle of road expansion and sprawl that goes with it - and it is a cycle, each contributing to the other - until we start saying no to the expectation that you can drive everywhere, any time, without delay.

And that won't happen until it costs more to commute than it pays to work. The well-to-do will always be able to drive everywhere, any time. The rest of us, not so much.

Fortunately we're working hard to make the well-to-do a much smaller segment of our society, so there won't be so many of them to irritate us.

Return to “Town Vibe”