Do you want a third garbage bin?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Do you want a third garbage bin?

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:05 am

http://host.madison.com/ct/news/local/g ... 03286.html

(Remember-me, this is where you post your own comments)

In a perfect world this is a good idea, I just don't believe you can count on even half of the population to correctly separate everything. Many people already try to recycle lots of non-recyclable stuff, like deli-style plastic containers. How much of the wrong stuff does it take to just ruin a load and send it to the landfill? If one load of non-organic garbage ends up in an organic-only truck is someone going through and picking it out? I doubt it. I've seen green carts full of trash and trash carts full of bottles and cans, too many people just can't be bothered to put stuff in the right can.

I'd like to see some honest figures on how many recycling loads really end up in the landfill. All those recycling cans on the street? Gimmee a break....a trash can's a trash can to the man with dog doo in his hand. I'll bet money those loads go straight to the dump.

And then there's the issue of adding another bin to the already crowded alleys and driveways on the isthmus and campus areas. The streets fill up on trash day in some areas already. Is there room for more?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Do you want a third garbage bin?

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:13 am

I kind of like this idea, but I'm with you--there's a lot of potential for trainwreck.

I don't get, though, why Sun Prairie can accept every single kind of numbered plastic--and lids!--but Madison can't. Isn't the profit, which is always cited as the deterrant to accepting more plastics, greater when volume goes up?

If the city sponsored more cheap compost bin sales like the very popular and well-attended one at Alliant a couple months back, I think that'd be a better route. Provide access to citizens to deposit their compost if they don't have use for it, but encourage proper use of home-composted material as the first option.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:18 am

I wouldn't use it since I do my own composting. I might put some leaves in a third bin during the fall, but that's about it.

Crockett
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Crockett » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:22 am

Shorewood can accept 1-7 plastic with Peillitteri (who by the way is local).

I don't understand how the sorting works. I think it would be fascinating to go on a tour of a recycling plant.

As for compost bins, arent that what personal compost bins and/or sink garbage disposals for?

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:29 am

No third bin for me. I don't have room for it, and I already compost anything that can be composted. Even in the winter, I trudge out to the pile and dump stuff on it.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:37 am

Crockett wrote: I think it would be fascinating to go on a tour of a recycling plant.

I'm just guessing here but I'd bet you would see dozens of people with poor english skills sorting through our garbage.

Fascinating? Not so much.
Kinda sad? Yeah.

Crockett wrote: and/or sink garbage disposals

And that's what Roto-Rooter services are for. If you're a landlord and you're thinking of offering this amenity, don't.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:01 pm

Crockett wrote:As for compost bins, arent that what personal compost bins and/or sink garbage disposals for?

The amount of organic material sent down the drain should be kept to a minimum. Sending excess organic waste through the disposal only increases the wastewater treatment requirements and adds nutrients to our waterways- enhancing the eutrophication of our streams, rivers and lakes.
It is much better to compost this stuff. I may be wrong, but I think it would be better to send it to the landfill rather than down the drain.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:08 pm

I've seen communities with five different bins on the curb for each residence. I don't know what kind of compliance they get, but it can't be good. BUT at least they're smaller bins.

SMALLER BINS. Have you seen curbs outside of apartment buildings or multi-apartment houses? Have you seen them in the winter, with the giant bins stacked and falling all over? We really want to increase that by 50%?

I'm all for conservation and minimizing landfill use, but do we want to further trash up our terraces and streets?

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:14 pm

Michael Patrick wrote:No third bin for me. I don't have room for it, and I already compost anything that can be composted. Even in the winter, I trudge out to the pile and dump stuff on it.

You guys compost your meat waste too, or do you not eat any?

We compost too but not all of our organics go well in our compost bin and from the article it sounds like they can compost lots of things we can't.

This sure brings back memories from my New England childhood, when "trash" and "garbage" were two very different things.

Another thought that occurs to me is that we are thinking about adding a third degree of separation to our waste cycle while at the same time we are automating the waste pickups to the point where we cannot determine at the pickup point whether or not the bin contains contraband.

Add a new bin and remove any incentive - except conscience - to use it. Given the attitudes of a large percentage of our population, that doesn't seem feasible to me.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:31 pm

The big recycling problem, to me, are the multiple standards that vary town to town, and between city and privately-contracted (like an apartment building) services.

The standards vary from my home, to my workplace, to where I hang out downtown, so I'm quite positive I'm trying to recycle items that won't go at some places and landfilling some that will recycle. The various plastic numbers immediately come to mind.

What would also help is a PR campaign on recommended waste disposal techniques. For instance, I hadn't considered the possibility of fertilizing the lakes with garbage disposal effluent until jman111's post.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:39 pm

rabble wrote:
Michael Patrick wrote:No third bin for me. I don't have room for it, and I already compost anything that can be composted. Even in the winter, I trudge out to the pile and dump stuff on it.

You guys compost your meat waste too, or do you not eat any?

We compost too but not all of our organics go well in our compost bin and from the article it sounds like they can compost lots of things we can't.

This sure brings back memories from my New England childhood, when "trash" and "garbage" were two very different things.

Another thought that occurs to me is that we are thinking about adding a third degree of separation to our waste cycle while at the same time we are automating the waste pickups to the point where we cannot determine at the pickup point whether or not the bin contains contraband.

Add a new bin and remove any incentive - except conscience - to use it. Given the attitudes of a large percentage of our population, that doesn't seem feasible to me.

We eat meat, but the vast majority of it are things like boneless/skinless chicken breasts and to a lesser extent hamburger, neither of which generates any waste.

dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:46 pm

ilikebeans wrote:For instance, I hadn't considered the possibility of fertilizing the lakes with garbage disposal effluent until jman111's post.

I'm pretty sure that's not how it works.

Anything going down your drain is gonna go to the wastewater treatment plant, which as jman111 points out means more work there. But I'm pretty positive they don't just pump the bad stuff they pull out right back into the lakes. At least I hope they don't.

Stormwater drains do go right into the lakes and rivers tho'.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:55 pm

dave esmond wrote:But I'm pretty positive they don't just pump the bad stuff they pull out right back into the lakes.

No, I realize it's all treated, but is there the possibility that more incoming food waste means more treatment necessary, which potentially means the treated water is more fertile (not necessarily toxic) for plant and algae growth?

I really have no idea on this. Part of me also figures that, considering all the other crap (literally) coming in, it doesn't matter much.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:06 pm

I was up north in Turtle Lake*, WI for an in-law reunion last weekend. Finished a brau and asked where the recycle bin was. There was a brief pause and then a semi-guilty shrug of the shoulders. Nada recycling.

*Folks up there wish they were Minnesotans. I got a Coke at McDonald's and whose MLB mug is on the cup? Prince Fielder? Ryan Braun? Nope. Try Joe Mauer.
Last edited by supaunknown on Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:06 pm

ilikebeans wrote:....which potentially means the treated water is more fertile (not necessarily toxic) for plant and algae growth?

I would hope not. I figure there's a standard they have to use for the water that comes out that has nothing to do with how clean or dirty it is going in. Like you say there's a lot of real crap in there to start with. I can't see some meat scraps making any difference either.

I'd be for giving everyone their own compost bin.

Or just hire some more people to do some more sorting with the bins they have now. I hear people need jobs.

How much wrong stuff mixed in does it take to mess up the system?

Return to “Town Vibe”