Woodman's East Parking Lot

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Woodman's East Parking Lot

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:52 pm

I see a lot of folks at Woodman's who seem to have acquired the "privilege" of a rear view mirror handicap parking pass, without the handicap. That's my only problem with that parking lot.

frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby frozenCow » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:58 pm

supaunknown wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:
frozenCow wrote:... and probably others that I’m forgetting.

Eagle on E. Washington at First Street?

There was an Eagle foods in Westgate mall too.
And what looks like what used to be a Kohl's on Monona Drive (where Rubin's furniture is now). Distinctive building.
Also, I'm pretty certain that West-side Woodman's actually pre-dates the West-side Cub's.

No, CUB was first on the west side. It was one of the first stores west of West Towne Mall. In the early 80s I was working at a factory on the south side, and many of my co-workers lived on the west side. I remember CUB Foods opening about 1982, because my west side co-workers all raved about shopping there (kind of like how people today rave about Costco). One of my co-workers lived right off Schroeder Rd on Alison Ln. In 1982 when I would go to his place to visit, there was nothing on Schroeder Rd west of Laurie Ln. Just empty fields stretching to Gammon Rd. Woodman's didn't arrive until a couple years later.

I remember the store in the Fiore Shopping Center at First and E. Wash as a Sentry in its final days in the early 80s. I don't know if Woodman's caused its demise (who knows with the Fiore Companies) but it probably did. I also don't recall it ever being an Eagle store, but that wouldn't surprise me if it was an Eagle before it was a Sentry. Maybe originally it was a Piggly Wiggly.

I say that, because I remember when Madison had Piggly Wiggly stores in the 60s. One was on Monona Dr where Rocky Rococo is now in the Klinke Shopping Center. In the late-60s the Piggly Wiggly stores got sold and became Eagle stores. The Eagle store at the Klinke location burned down in about 1970 (the Rocky's was built in 1977). In 1976 Eagle came back to Monona Dr, when they built a new store in a field at the corner of Frost Woods Rd.

Yes, the Rubin's on Monona Dr and Winnequah Rd was a Kohl’s grocery store. I watched them build it, which was about 1967. I remember those distinctive curved steel girders arriving on a flatbed semi trailer. Their late-60s advertising used the term "mini-pricing" (after all, it was the era of the "mini-skirt"). Kohl's thrived at that location until the late 80s when the owners of Kohl's bought the local Eagle chain and the companies merged as Kohl's. They didn't need two Kohl's stores on Monona Dr, so they decided to close the older store at Winnequah Rd and keep the newer store at Frost Woods Rd. The old Kohl's sat vacant for years (much to the chagrin of the neighbors) until Rubin's occupied it. One reason it sat empty for so long was because Kohl's didn't want to rent or sell it to a competing grocery store.

About ten years ago, Kohl's built a new store in the Pier 37 complex at Broadway and Monona Dr, and closed down the store at Frost Woods Rd (which was soon torn down to build elderly housing and retail store fronts that remain unoccupied). And as we all know, a couple years later Roundy’s bought the Kohl’s chain and either closed the stores (like at Northport Dr) or kept them open and renamed them to Copps (like at Aberg Ave, University Ave , Junction Rd, Fish Hatchery Rd, and Pier 37).

And yes, I do remember the Eagle store at Westgate. The last time I remember going there when it was still a grocery store was in 1976. Don’t know when it closed (I’m guessing in that 80s merger with Kohl’s). Until its recent closing, the space was occupied by Dunham’s (a sporting goods store whose reasonable pricing and low key atmosphere I really miss). Whatever goes around comes around, and so the space is destined to be torn down and rebuilt as the new west side Hy-Vee. Here is a picture of the Westgate Eagle during the farmer meat boycott of 1973 (don’t recall this scene, but I do recall the boycott) : Image
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/fullRecord.asp?id=25008

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:15 pm

Hahahahaha. Let's argue about the history of grocery stores in Madison, and whine about parking lots that might have "dark" parking areas at night. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Now on to the article about the "unorthodox" training of the woman who interned at Disney World.

frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby frozenCow » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:20 pm

Whose arguing?

If you don't like the thread, why read it?

If Madison bores you so much, why did you move here?

Wait, I really don't want to know.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:25 pm

No, CUB was on the West side dammit...this has nothing to do with "Madison" nice try.

Remember_Me
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Remember_Me » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:01 am

Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:
What if they become self-aware and choose to crush their masters?

Now you're just being ridiculous.

Robots don't even go to college.

Stebben84
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stebben84 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:18 am

ilikebeans wrote:
Remember_Me wrote:Did you ever even consider that might be her seeing eye bike??

Did she have it on a harness?

Remember not to pet the bike. It's for service purposes only.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:06 am

FrozenCow, a minor correction to your chronology. A & P bought out Eagle and then Kohl's took over A & P. The Southside Post Office was an Eagle, then an A & P. There was also an A & P on Parkt St. where the Copp's store is located. When Kohl's bought the Madison A & P chain, they closed the southside location and eventually the post office moved in.

At least that's what I remember.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:12 am

Sorry Cow, but Woodman's on Gammon opened in May of 1980. I worked there in 1984-85.
I remember when CUB came to town because we questioned whether or not people would be willing to bag their own groceries.
Our family lived on Chapel Hill Rd (off Schroeder). I was one of the many pimple-faced BMX miscreants behind John Powless Tennis Center (where Struck Rd and the Post Office are now). There was this extremely large pit and trails called the "Hillclimbs". Never seen anything like it before or since. It was incredible watching truly gifted motocross riders navigate those jumps and hills. I broke my arm back there. Good times.

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:34 am

Sorry, but the first purveyor of foods in Ye Olde Madison was Pickwick and Englebert's Fruitstand and Dry Goods Emporium at the corner of Corn and Cob established back in aught 6. Whiskers McGillicuddy had his moustache wax stolen by a swarthy bandit partly because of a poorly gaslit horse-hitch. It was ever thus.

frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby frozenCow » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:24 pm

supaunknown wrote:Sorry Cow, but Woodman's on Gammon opened in May of 1980. I worked there in 1984-85.
I remember when CUB came to town because we questioned whether or not people would be willing to bag their own groceries.
Our family lived on Chapel Hill Rd (off Schroeder). I was one of the many pimple-faced BMX miscreants behind John Powless Tennis Center (where Struck Rd and the Post Office are now). There was this extremely large pit and trails called the "Hillclimbs". Never seen anything like it before or since. It was incredible watching truly gifted motocross riders navigate those jumps and hills. I broke my arm back there. Good times.

Well, having grown up in the neighborhood, you would know. Could have sworn it came later.

I don’t know why my co-workers were so crazy for CUB in ‘82 when they already had a Woodman’s nearby. I don’t think CUB was that much cheaper than Woodman’s. But it was the “new” thing.

We had a place we called the "Hillclimbs" on the east side, across Hwy 51 from Farm & Fleet. That too was a gravel pit with very steep hills. But it was off road motorcycles, not bicycles.

Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Postby Exploding Pinto » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:52 pm

Dust Mite Rodeo wrote:It's those robots that push long trains of shopping carts that frighten me.

What if they become self-aware and choose to crush their masters?

Find out in MarcStarr's new tale of intrigue Shopping Cart Robots!

What happens when you push a shopping cart too far?

I laughed, I cried, I dropped a jar of pickles in aisle six.

supaunknown
Forum God/Goddess

Postby supaunknown » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:11 pm

frozenCow wrote:
supaunknown wrote:I was one of the many pimple-faced BMX miscreants behind John Powless Tennis Center (where Struck Rd and the Post Office are now). There was this extremely large pit and trails called the "Hillclimbs". Never seen anything like it before or since. It was incredible watching truly gifted motocross riders navigate those jumps and hills. I broke my arm back there. Good times.

We had a place we called the "Hillclimbs" on the east side, across Hwy 51 from Farm & Fleet. That too was a gravel pit with very steep hills. But it was off road motorcycles, not bicycles.

Likewise, our Hillclimbs were etched by off road motorcycles. Bad-ass dirtballs that us younger BMX kids looked up to. I'm not sure how the pit came to be. For gravel maybe, but it seemed to contain primarily dirt and clay. It might've been an abandoned dumping pit. I remember we found a Woodman's cart back there one time and pushed it off the steepest drop. Another time I recall tagging along with a neighbor pheasant hunting with a shotgun behind the tennis center. Can you imagine doing that today?

There were also some cool BMX trails in the woods off to the side of Odana GC. Really neat cuz of their design and how hidden they were. I wonder if they're still there.

rrnate
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rrnate » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:19 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Sorry, but the first purveyor of foods in Ye Olde Madison was Pickwick and Englebert's Fruitstand and Dry Goods Emporium at the corner of Corn and Cob established back in aught 6. Whiskers McGillicuddy had his moustache wax stolen by a swarthy bandit partly because of a poorly gaslit horse-hitch. It was ever thus.

Contemporary headlines read "Swarthy Bandit Steals Swarthy Irishman's Moustache Grease".

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:05 pm

boston_jeff wrote:Sorry, but the first purveyor of foods in Ye Olde Madison was Pickwick and Englebert's Fruitstand and Dry Goods Emporium at the corner of Corn and Cob established back in aught 6. Whiskers McGillicuddy had his moustache wax stolen by a swarthy bandit partly because of a poorly gaslit horse-hitch. It was ever thus.

If I knew how to move this quote over to the Best of TDPF thread, I would. That's good stuff.

"Corner of Corn and Cob".......I'll be using that.

Return to “Town Vibe”