Union South Tagged

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Union South Tagged

Postby bassbari » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:24 am

:twisted:
Well, this time, someone climbed the construction fence and tagged the third floor northeast corner of the new Union South building. This must be a "first place trophy tag" in someone's mind. Not the best place to hit, though. Why waste your time, tagging a wall that few people will see? (You have to stand on the corner of Johnson and Charter to see it.) No one in a car will see it because they are going the other direction and anyone on foot has to stand far away to view it. Campus Police are already on it. Probably futile. Question: When you see graffiti, what goes through you mind? Anger, shock, joy at seeing someone else's daring feat, envy.
Discuss
Check out the camera shot.
http://unionsouth1.doit.wisc.edu/view/index.shtml

HOMOsapien

Re: Union South Tagged

Postby HOMOsapien » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:10 am

Well, think like a tagger (a street broadcaster who broadcasts themselves, a self promoter)

You saw it, which was the goal... you're pointing it out on the internet, a mass aggregator... passive humans will consume the noise... now people will spread the word and aggregate the echo... the cops will be required to waste time and "look into it" considering who got tagged in order to protect their asses from noise making critics, like the isthmus tabloid... the cops are now involved, so apparently the matter is important... meaningless attention continues to build because tagging is a scourge on society and scourges are hard to not pay attention to (see the cops part)... tagger accomplishes goal, which is to annoy people.

How cool is that? hip-hop lives!

The irony here is, hip-hop is considered scholarly subject matter at the UW, the mark in this case.

I honestly like tagging on trains, but that's about the only place.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:12 am

I'm annoyed already, and that's without all the bullshit hypotheticals posted above.

pattymcnutt
Forum Addict

Postby pattymcnutt » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:34 am

Usually when I see graffiti I just get annoyed that some stupid kids think they have the right to deface property with gang symbols or initials. The exception to my annoyance was when I lived in DC and there was a tagger who went by the name "Disco Dan." He used to write "Cool Disco Dan was here" all over the city. It was everywhere- along the metro tracks, really high up on abandoned buildings, even on one of those overhead signs that go over the expressway. I have to say, it was pretty entertaining to see all of the places he managed to tag, and somehow the name "Cool Disco Dan" always made me smile.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cool_%22Disco%22_Dan

I also enjoyed how so much of the random graffiti out there tended to be politically oriented. My favorite was "fuck John Ashcroft" written all along the red line tracks. Even the hoodlums have an agenda.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:46 am

Tagging = hip-hop?

HOMOsapien

Postby HOMOsapien » Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:58 am

Tell us about it jjoyce.

Pogoagogo
Forum Addict

Postby Pogoagogo » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:34 am

I couldn't care less about any connection between Hip Hop and Tagging. It is property damage, plain and simple. Over the course of the last three months I've cleaned off pseudo folk nation horseshit off of my property 6 times. I'm now pretty sure who's doing it and I'm waiting to catch them in the act. I can't even describe how much this enrages me. I'm just happy that the person(s) I suspect of being behind it are over 18. I really don't care what family life is like for them, nor am I concerned with whether or not a positive male role model gives them attention. What I do care about is that if I catch them on my property, spray painting anything, I really hope they attempt to beat my ass, and not just run. Life lessons are a bitch, and the professor is in the building.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:24 pm

jjoyce wrote:Tagging = hip-hop?

Yep. Although the term is used almost exclusively in reference to the musical genre these days.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_hop

wallrock
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wallrock » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:35 am

I've got no love for graffiti, having been stuck with the task of cleaning it up at one of my old jobs. That said, one of my favorite graffiti memories involved a large tag on the side of a boxcar that read "Free Masons are EVIL!" in the typical urban style. I was in the car with my father, who was in the Masons when I was a kid, and I turned to him and asked "Is that true?" After a dramatic pause, he solemnly replied "Yes. Yes it is."

Return to “Town Vibe”