Madison Mysteries

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
popping hotdog

Re: Madison Mysteries

Postby popping hotdog » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:52 pm

narcoleptish wrote: I think I asked about the place on Atwood next to the former Bongo Video. Remodeled old storefront, very sleek and anonymous looking. Cool metal-roofed garage in back. Probably a residence. Can't remember if anyone knew what it was.

Wasn't that the King's Foot Gallery?

bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:55 pm

The flatiron building on the corner of King, Butler and East Wilson. It looks boarded up. It has some character, but what is it used for?

ubiquity
Forum Addict

Postby ubiquity » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:28 pm

Apropos of nothing, I'm always so proud when a thread I'm involved in makes the paper.

Rock.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:49 pm

ubiquity wrote:Apropos of nothing, I'm always so proud when a thread I'm involved in makes the paper.

Rock.
What paper are you talking about?

"ZigZag?" "The New York Times?" The "Hindustan Times?" ... ?

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:47 pm

Bwa ha ha. Your disaffectation, as always, thrills. Or do you honestly expect us to believe that 3.5 years and 1400+ posts later, you still don't know that Isthmus is a paper?

ubiquity
Forum Addict

Postby ubiquity » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:12 am

The Capital Times.

bassbari
Forum God/Goddess

Postby bassbari » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:10 pm

You lost me on this highjacked thread

lifelongmadison
Forum Addict

Postby lifelongmadison » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:49 am

What was the distinctive icon painted on the facade of Amato's grocery store on the Wash at union corners?

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:27 am

I thought I could get this one. Something to do with meat?

I would go there with my dad. I can still see Larry the butcher/owner (I think) tossing white packages over the meat case. I think he always had a toothpick in his mouth?

Heisted my first piece of candy there. Showed it to dad in the car thinking he'd be proud that I saved us some money. Of course we had to march right back in. The shame.

Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Postby Broadsheet » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:50 pm

The flatiron building at King, Butler and Wilson was originally the Schroeder Funeral Home -- I think. Then it was Jack McManus' law office, and after that Willie Haus' law office (pretentiously called the Haus Building). I don't know what has happened to it since. The building that houses Restaurant Magnus was also once a funeral home.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:56 pm

Jack McManus, now that's a Madison mystery. Is he still hunting moose in Alaska, or has he kicked off? Loved his TV spots that came out soon after the courts lifted the restrictions on lawyering ads.

ubiquity
Forum Addict

Postby ubiquity » Sat Jul 17, 2010 5:05 pm

Broadsheet wrote:The flatiron building at King, Butler and Wilson was originally the Schroeder Funeral Home -- I think. Then it was Jack McManus' law office, and after that Willie Haus' law office (pretentiously called the Haus Building). I don't know what has happened to it since. The building that houses Restaurant Magnus was also once a funeral home.

Dan Bell also had it for a minute. Attorney and friend of McManus, back in the 80s.

Broadsheet
Forum Addict

Postby Broadsheet » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:03 pm

The Frautschi Furniture store used to be up the block on King Street. I was told the Frautschis (this branch of the family, at least) were also in the casket business. If they sold them out of that location they would have had two mortuaries close by.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Sat Jul 17, 2010 7:29 pm

Broadsheet wrote:The Frautschi Furniture store used to be up the block on King Street. I was told the Frautschis (this branch of the family, at least) were also in the casket business.

It was quite common up until about mid 20th century for furniture makers to double as funeral homes.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:50 pm

People who are never seen, anywhere, without a hat or bandanna,ever! Some guy, in the Hilldale area, with lots of gray hair, and always a hat or scarf! Why? Or the eternal doo-rag wearer? What for? St.Peter? How about that eternal ponytail? Is it ever down?

Return to “Town Vibe”