Madison Mysteries

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
ubiquity
Forum Addict

Re: Madison Mysteries

Postby ubiquity » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:11 pm

Okay, new one:

How about the building on Willy next to Mother Fools?

I guess maybe an AA meeting house. I have no idea. It's got no windows.

LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby LargeMarge » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:17 am

Can ask another? What about R.F. Sarko & Associates Land Surveyors and Consulting Engineers on University Avenue between Party Port and Bagels Forever? The building looks semi-abandoned.

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Thrusting towards the heavens!

Postby Marvell » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:21 am

Thusnelda wrote:I like to refer to it as the Penis Corn.

Hey, it's pubic art!

Err...

Marvell
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Marvell » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:22 am

ubiquity wrote:How about the building on Willy next to Mother Fools?

Bingo.

My old business partner practically lived there back in the mid-90's. He was in pretty much every 12-step program there is.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:50 am

LargeMarge wrote:Can ask another? What about R.F. Sarko & Associates Land Surveyors and Consulting Engineers on University Avenue between Party Port and Bagels Forever? The building looks semi-abandoned.

Look up Roland Sarko in CCAP for the reasons why. Besides his numerous criminal and civil legal problems, he also lost his state licenses. I know the guy (he used to be married to a former work collegue) and he is a total sleezeball.

swoon_queen
Forum Addict

Postby swoon_queen » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:29 am

What about the nondescript squarish building next to Monty's on Atwood? Always dark; I peeked in last night to see nothing but stacks of boxes. The outside is plastered with No Trespassing signs.

ubiquity
Forum Addict

Postby ubiquity » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:18 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
LargeMarge wrote:Can ask another? What about R.F. Sarko & Associates Land Surveyors and Consulting Engineers on University Avenue between Party Port and Bagels Forever? The building looks semi-abandoned.

Look up Roland Sarko in CCAP for the reasons why. Besides his numerous criminal and civil legal problems, he also lost his state licenses. I know the guy (he used to be married to a former work collegue) and he is a total sleezeball.

I knew his daughter, who was a lovely, kind, sweet kid and person. Just goes to show that you can't judge a kid by their parent (thank God).

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:27 pm

Marvell wrote:

Bingo.

My old business partner practically lived there back in the mid-90's. He was in pretty much every 12-step program there is.

I've always been told it is some kind of social/meeting house for deaf people. I did recently see two guys having a very intense sign language argument outside the place. The lack of windows is a mystery to me, it's not like they're blind. Who doesn't want windows?

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:27 pm

The squarish place next to Monty's on Atwood used to be a print shop but it went out of business. The guy who ran it spent half his time patrolling the driveway between his place and Monty's to be sure no one parked there. He didn't seem to want to put up no parking signs, he just liked to intimidate people. Printing is a tough business since just about everyone has a good printer these days, so his behavior isn't necessarily why his business failed.

LargeMarge
Forum Addict

Postby LargeMarge » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:39 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:

Wow! 3 pages worth of cases! I am surprised the place hasn't been sold to help pay off back taxes and civil judgments. I would think that the location would make it fairly valuable.

ubiquity
Forum Addict

Postby ubiquity » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:00 pm

LargeMarge wrote:
Henry Vilas wrote:

Wow! 3 pages worth of cases! I am surprised the place hasn't been sold to help pay off back taxes and civil judgments. I would think that the location would make it fairly valuable.

I find it odd that the building still stands there, as well. Must be quite an asset.

mrak
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Thrusting towards the heavens!

Postby mrak » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:27 pm

Marvell wrote:
Thusnelda wrote:I like to refer to it as the Penis Corn.

Hey, it's pubic art!

Err...

My favorite nickname for it is "Buckingham Phallus".

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:57 pm

narcoleptish wrote:
Marvell wrote:

Bingo.

I've always been told it is some kind of social/meeting house for deaf people. I did recently see two guys having a very intense sign language argument outside the place. The lack of windows is a mystery to me, it's not like they're blind. Who doesn't want windows?

I got sent there over 10 years ago for 2 guys yelling, waving their arms around like they were getting ready to fight. It was just as described above. I've always called it "the Deaf Club"...looks like we broke rule #1.

I always tell our new cops about it so they don't jump out and jack up deaf guys vigorously talking.

I've always thought the no windows deal is from a long ago existence as a dark, dingy bar. The kind where it's so dark inside the opening of the front door lets in so much light it hurts your eyes in a Barfly kind of way. At the very least, no one calls in loud music complaints on the place.

Kyle Motor
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kyle Motor » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:01 am

I've been wondering what that brick building is on the corner of E. Wilson and Few.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:57 am

I asked about that one in my Mystery Buildings thread from a few years ago. I believe someone said it was a photography studio. Years ago it was ABC Glass for awhile.

In that same old thread I think I asked about the place on Atwood next to the former Bongo Video. Remodeled old storefront, very sleek and anonymous looking. Cool metal-roofed garage in back. Probably a residence. Can't remember if anyone knew what it was.

Return to “Town Vibe”