Madison Mysteries

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Madison Mysteries

Postby snoqueen » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:51 pm

Broadsheet wrote:...The building that houses Restaurant Magnus was also once a funeral home.

So was the building that houses the Church Key on University Ave.

frozenCow
Forum Addict

Postby frozenCow » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:05 am

Broadsheet wrote:The flatiron building at King, Butler and Wilson was originally the Schroeder Funeral Home -- I think. Then it was Jack McManus' law office, and after that Willie Haus' law office (pretentiously called the Haus Building). I don't know what has happened to it since. The building that houses Restaurant Magnus was also once a funeral home.

Coincidentally, I met Willie Haus a couple of years ago at Restaurant Magnus during a teacher's retirement party (he represents a lot of teacher unions). During our conversation we talked about the building (which he still owns) and how he had bought it from McManus. He said McManus liked to freak people out by telling them it was a former funeral home.

Willie also claimed that when it was a funeral home, it was the place where Otis Redding's body was embalmed after his 1967 plane crash in Lake Monona. I've never heard anybody else corroborate that story, but I have no reason not to believe it.
snoqueen wrote:So was the building that houses the Church Key on University Ave.

The Church Key has been many things, and one of them was a funeral home. A former co-worker of mine grew up in the neighborhood in the late 50s and early 60s, when the streets between Johnson St and University Ave were lined with houses where working class people actually lived. She said her father's funeral was held there in the mid 60s. On the right hand side of this 1927 Angus McVicar photo it is the Wheeler Conservatory of Music: Image
http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/whi/fullRecord.asp?id=6361

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:29 am

Bwis53 wrote:People who are never seen, anywhere, without a hat or bandanna,ever! Some guy, in the Hilldale area, with lots of gray hair, and always a hat or scarf! Why? Or the eternal doo-rag wearer? What for? St.Peter? How about that eternal ponytail? Is it ever down?

After having a basal cell carcinoma removed from my face, I always wear a brimmed hat when I leave the house. Dermatologist's orders.

And what about my ponytail?

Scotty
Forum Addict

Postby Scotty » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:48 pm

bassbari wrote:The flatiron building on the corner of King, Butler and East Wilson. It looks boarded up. It has some character, but what is it used for?

At one time the first floor was a bar. It was called GEF 5.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:09 pm

Henry, the hat I'm thinking of is more like a ski cap. And today, I actually saw a cute guy with a nice Einstein doo. It was glorious. Another Madison Mystery.

Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby Goober McTuber » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:38 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:And what about my ponytail?

It's so 70's.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Mon Jul 19, 2010 8:03 pm

Goober McTuber wrote:

It's so 70's.

Buzz cuts are so '50s.

Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby Goober McTuber » Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:53 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:

It's so 70's.

Buzz cuts are so '50s.

No kidding. I had a buzzcut in the '50s and a ponytail in the '70s.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:44 am

Goober McTuber wrote:No kidding. I had a buzzcut in the '50s and a ponytail in the '70s.

What about today? Got that billiard ball look? Seems to be in.

Goober McTuber
Forum Addict

Postby Goober McTuber » Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:05 am

Henry Vilas wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:No kidding. I had a buzzcut in the '50s and a ponytail in the '70s.

What about today? Got that billiard ball look? Seems to be in.

No. I have a nice full head of hair, neatly coiffed and predominately gray.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:40 am

Goober McTuber wrote:I have a nice full head of hair, neatly coiffed and predominately gray.

That's so 2009.

bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby bleurose » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:52 am

Building on Atwood next to the old Bongo Video was the King's Foot Gallery - belonged to my aunt. We had our wedding reception there in 00. Don't know how it was disposed of after she died; obviously sold by the estate but don't know to whom or what. Building in the back was used as extra gallery space after being spiffed up a bit.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:39 pm

bleurose wrote: Don't know how it was disposed of after she died; obviously sold by the estate but don't know to whom or what.

The Madison assessor site should tell you who owns it. Madison property lookup

mieder

Postby mieder » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:23 pm

As for the semi-built/bankrupt hotel on Monroe/Regent: who ever thought a "European-style" Hotel was a good idea anyways? I'm from Europe and have stayed in many of our hotels, and unless your idea of a good lodging arrangement includes high bills, tiny rooms and crappy service, I'd say go with the American model. Yes, the workers are underpaid and the buildings are inefficient, but hey, at least I can stretch my legs out.

bleurose
Forum Addict

Postby bleurose » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:02 am

Thanks for the info, Henry. My aunt had quite a bit of 'disposable income', thanks to never getting divorced from my hard-working uncle who continued to support her. (I make no judgements there because I loved them both & one never knows the full story of what goes on between two people. Plus I love my cousins dearly and don't want to cause them any more pain). She managed to acquire a dirt-bag, total scam artist "accountant" and this guy proceeded to pretty much clean out her accounts. I know this because for a short time he prepared my dad's income taxes and very soon, dad had to pay penalties because - surprise! - the forms were never actually filed :evil: . Dad had the sense to dump him. I tried to get my cousins to get rid of this guy, but their hands were somewhat tied as she wasn't really legally incompetent, just ridiculously stubborn. Anyway, for my own sanity, I had to back away from the whole thing and it was somewhat of a relief when she finally passed away. So I don't want to know how it all ended up.

There now, that was totally off topic :lol:

Return to “Town Vibe”