a proposed letter to the editor of the WSJ

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
bobw100

a proposed letter to the editor of the WSJ

Postby bobw100 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:07 pm

this is going to be a letter to the editor of the WSJ/Cap times.
Dear Sir;
I read with amusment and discust the ads printed By "Bennets Medowood" I find the Ads repugnet and sometimes Boarderline racist. I point to the ad that slaps at the ho chunk and the ad that
he put in metal detectors to scan for guns from allied.His ads frequently refer to Body funtions, that i will not reprint here.
He uses his ads to attack the city goverment and the president instead of advertising his Bar.I ask you please to rein him in to tone down the ads. I'm all for freedom of speech but not when the ad is offensive!

Ok now you guys turn is there anything else I should say? or add or remove to insure its printed?
(I will spellchck the final version of course)
ty for your time
BOB

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Re: a proposed letter to the editor of the WSJ

Postby massimo » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:02 pm

I dunno, you sound more like someone I would peg as being a Bennett's supporter.

sadiekat

Postby sadiekat » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:18 pm

Dude! There are eight errors in your first sentence alone! If you'd tried just a little harder, you could have gotten 10 or more.

dave esmond
Forum God/Goddess

Postby dave esmond » Wed Jun 09, 2010 8:01 am

bobw100 wrote: I'm all for freedom of speech but not when the ad is offensive!

Fail.

Try again and this time note that being "all for" freedom of speech doesn't ever come with an "except". People who don't get the concept of freedom of speech offend me (seriously), should I ask Jason to ban you?

And maybe take a dose of harden the fuck up. Go in and tell him what you think of the ads. Or write a letter to him. That's part of freedom of speech too. Just because you get to say it doesn't mean anyone has to agree and they get to tell you why. Writing a letter to the editor and asking them to police the ads is like asking your mom to call the principal to get the mean kids to quit taking your lunch money,.
Last edited by dave esmond on Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:01 am

Look at it this way. Without those ads, people like yourself might end up going in there regularly and patronizing the place without ever realizing who you're giving your money to.

The first and only time I was in Bennett's, years ago, there was a group of dudes standing around the pool table admiring a cased hunting rifle the way some people admire a Matisse. Whatever turns your crank I guess, but the testosterone was a little too thick for my taste.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:33 am

The First Amendment continues to prove its greatness in Bennett's ads as well as this thread... as well as in the letter you apparently haven't yet sent to the WSJ.

Go ahead and send it! You've got a right to your opinion, after all, just like Bennett's has a right to say whatever they'd like to in their ads.

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:47 am

I love Bennett's ads! he reminds me every week just what a ridiculous douchebag he is, and just what establishment I should never patronize.

I don't know why we always want to control speech or behavior... say it loud! Say it proud! Let me know just what kind of jackass you are!

chance
Forum Addict

Postby chance » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:55 pm

jjoyce wrote:The First Amendment continues to prove its greatness in Bennett's ads as well as this thread... as well as in the letter you apparently haven't yet sent to the WSJ.

What does the First Amendment have to do with whether WSJ decides to run ads for Bennett's, or whether it publishes a letter to the editor? The First Amendment prohibits the government from restricting freedom of speech. It doesn't prohibit private journalistic enterprises from restricting what they will publish in their own pages. On the contrary, the First Amendment guarantees media like WSJ the right to choose both what they will publish and what they will not.

That's the point: it's their choice. WSJ chooses to publishes ads for Bennett's because they get paid to. If they wanted to make the choice to forgo those payments and not publish the ads, they would be free to do that too. Your suggestion, that the WSJ's choice to publish ads for Bennett's is somehow more reflective of what the First Amendment is about, than would be a choice not to publish them, is just wrong.

Michael Patrick
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Michael Patrick » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:33 pm

I'm offended by ads for canned asparagus. I still gag just thinking about the pile of canned asparagus on my plate when I was a kid. The smell, ugh...

I think the WSJ should refuse all ads for canned asparagus. Because I say so.

sadiekat

Postby sadiekat » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:59 pm

chance wrote:I'm offended by ads for canned asparagus. I still gag just thinking about the pile of canned asparagus on my plate when I was a kid. The smell, ugh...

I think the WSJ should refuse all ads for canned asparagus. Because I say so.

Well, sure, but canned asparagus is just slimy and wrong.

lifelongmadison
Forum Addict

Postby lifelongmadison » Thu Jun 10, 2010 6:24 am

Thats why It's called the "Country Club" ... Poke in the eye, yet always having good food and good staff. Holy shit, dude buys some space on the local rag to vent his beliefs.. GASP! I find his ads sometimes over the top and mostly thought provoking... Hmmm... My birthday is coming up, I'm gonna dust off my club card and enjoy a place where there isn't pretentiousness or incoherent college kids... Thanks to Gene's country club, Rich's on the Park and Jan's Friendly too... Madison's triangle of great dive bars.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:32 am

Madison - the city of the perpetually offended

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:03 am

Huckleby wrote:Madison - the city of the perpetually offended

When you finish looking down your nose at this city, please note that only the OP took any serious offense. The rest were all offended by his ignorance of what "freedom of speech" actually entails and the assault he committed against the English language.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:11 am

sorry if i offended you.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:14 am

oh, snap!

Return to “Town Vibe”