Gassin' up at BP

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Gassin' up at BP

Postby Stomach » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:59 pm

Corporate branding must mean something, right? I'm sure BP doesn't care what I do, but if franchise owners (or whatever they are called) see a drop in business maybe BP will listen to them. If it really only hurts the local owner that I won't go there, that is too bad, but they are hitched to that wagon for better or worse. It looks like the gulf is going to be a mess for a long time and BP has a responsibility to stop the leak AND clean up the mess. For now, I don't care if it will save me $.50 a gallon to use my Roundy's card at BP, I just can't do it. There must be some collusion between local BP stations since most (or all?) are willing to participate in the Roundy's card saving deal.

The reason I started this thread wasn't to say "boycott BP", it was to point out that there seems to be plenty of people gassin' up at BP and I wonder if they have given it a second thought or if they are oblivious. I drive my car just as much now as I did before the spill and that is part of the problem. Not buying gas at BP doesn't really change anything but it feels better than buying gas at BP.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:12 pm

I only buy organic gasoline from local producers.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:54 pm

fisticuffs wrote: I find it hard to believe they don't have a specific stake in you buying gas at a BP station over the one down the street.
Sure, there will be some tiny effect.

This is the equivalent of being mad at your neighbor, so you kick the neighbor's dog hope it will land on top of its owner. Maybe it will, but is it fair to the dog.

BP stock lost $27B in one day. AT this point, I'm most concerned about BP being able to pay for all the damage.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:59 pm

BP stock lost $27B in one day. AT this point, I'm most concerned about BP being able to pay for all the damage.

Don't you mean concerned about them paying their lawyers to get them out of paying the damages? BP can be done after this for all I care. They won't of course. Regardless of what their stock price is doing they are sitting on a mountain of cash with another mountain coming in quarter after quarter. The only thing that will prevent BP from meeting their financial obligations for this mess is BP. I say let's not let them screw us in the courts for the next decade like Exxon did to Alaska. Seize their assets now and take control of stopping the well and cleaning up with the money and personnel we seize. Right now BP is trying to save the well not stop it. Seems simple enough to put enough material be it concrete, trash, oil executive body's down there to stop the bleeding and start the cleanup.

Oh I forgot. this is all Obama's fault for making them drill so far offshore. Not BP's fault for cutting every corner and buying off every regulator who got within a mile of them.

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:14 pm

fisticuffs wrote: Seize their assets now and take control of stopping the well and cleaning up with the money and personnel we seize.
This seems fair, but they get their legal process.

Probably the oil industry in the gulf should have to maintain a huge fund, at least $100B, that can be easily tapped in emergencies.

fisticuffs wrote: Right now BP is trying to save the well not stop it.
I was listening to a petroleum engineering professor on the radio. He said the well is just an exploratory well, not intended for production. He also said they might drill 50 wells into that giant resevoir.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:22 pm

He also said they might drill 50 wells into that giant resevoir.

Well that should solve all our energy needs if I'm to believe the complete horseshit coming out of the Right.

Human

Postby Human » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:20 am

persia wrote:When I'm at home I usually fill up at Costco, on the road I tend to use Shell...

I tend to avoid Shell whenever possible. When I do fill up at a Shell station, I can hear Ken Saro-Wiwa rolling over in his grave.

I'm not saying that everybody needs to boycott Shell, but their behavior in Nigeria is a sore point with me.

Zeetammie

Postby Zeetammie » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:12 am

In response to Stomach's questions:

I am one of the people purchasing gas from BP, and I DO follow the news.

I see no reason why Jim, the owner of the BP, up the street from my house, and his family should suffer financial hardship due to something beyond his control.

Just in case I'm wrong, I'll ask him what role he played in the executive errors / dishonesty / decisions which lead to the environmentally leathal "accident" tomorrow, when I fill up my tank again.
Zeetammie

boston_jeff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby boston_jeff » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:31 am

I've been biking and riding the bus--oh wait my wife has the car anyway...yeah I agree that BP sucks, but boycotts of the oil industry are kind of silly. All of the large companies have engaged in practices that are boycottable (if thats a word), how can you stop at one? Local operators are hurt more by a boycott than the corp which will be fine.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:14 am

I'm effectively boycotting BP stations, but not because I think it will have any effect on BP. I know the station owners - and the employees - didn't decide to drill deeper than their equipment could handle and they're probably as angry as everyone else is.

I think I'm not pulling in to one because I'm embarrassed to be seen there. It's not a conscious decision, I just find myself getting ready to pull in, I see the logo, and then I just keep going for reasons I can't readily explain.

If I found one with a sign saying "We're really sorry about that spill thing, we didn't have anything to do with it and if we could we'd switch brands but we're locked in" I think I'd go out of my way to fill up there, but that probably wouldn't boost their customer base.

massimo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby massimo » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:29 am

Bingo. Who wants to be THAT GUY gassing up at BP?

Also, by not patronizing BP you may be hurting that station owner, but you're helping another. So it's all good, right?

gargantua
Forum God/Goddess

Postby gargantua » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:56 am

Preaching to the choir here, but as I read this thread it reminded me of the most obvious solution, which is to try even harder to use less gas and other petroleum products, no matter which oil giant pulled them out of the ground.

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:58 am

Zeetammie wrote:Just in case I'm wrong, I'll ask him what role he played in the executive errors / dishonesty / decisions which lead to the environmentally leathal "accident" tomorrow, when I fill up my tank again.

Good snark! You get a gold star for the day. Welcome to the forum.

I am disgusted that BP clearly didn't have a plan in place to stop a spill of this magnitude and may be guilty of negligence at a level that caused several deaths. They haven't even shown they can stop the leak much less clean up the mess it has caused and their attempts to thwart media coverage are the oily icing on the cake.

As a consumer all I can do is not buy their gas and that does suck for the local owners. I don't know what to do about that but I don't feel guilty not stopping at those stations.

Yesterday morning I noticed this thread made the paper and now I know that narcoleptish is siphoning my gas. Dammit, narcoleptish! Just for that I'm gonna kick your dog!

wack wack
Forum God/Goddess

Postby wack wack » Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:51 pm

rabble wrote:I'm effectively boycotting BP stations, but not because I think it will have any effect on BP. I know the station owners - and the employees - didn't decide to drill deeper than their equipment could handle and they're probably as angry as everyone else is.

I think I'm not pulling in to one because I'm embarrassed to be seen there. It's not a conscious decision, I just find myself getting ready to pull in, I see the logo, and then I just keep going for reasons I can't readily explain.

If I found one with a sign saying "We're really sorry about that spill thing, we didn't have anything to do with it and if we could we'd switch brands but we're locked in" I think I'd go out of my way to fill up there, but that probably wouldn't boost their customer base.

Really, you need a sign? I bet you'd have a hard time finding a BP owner or employee who doesn't feel this way. You're embarrassed just to pull in, imagine what they must feel going to work every day.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:29 pm

wack wack wrote:Really, you need a sign? I bet you'd have a hard time finding a BP owner or employee who doesn't feel this way. You're embarrassed just to pull in, imagine what they must feel going to work every day.

I bet you'd have a pretty easy time finding plenty BP owners who didn't give a rat's ass what you or I or any environmentalists think.

Employees, yes. But they get paid whether I gas up there or not, and I don't think any stations have cut hours or gone out of business.

So yeah, I need a sign.

Return to “Town Vibe”