Gassin' up at BP

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Gassin' up at BP

Postby Stomach » Fri May 28, 2010 1:49 pm

I just went out for lunch and realized I should get some gas. I had gone to a different part of town than I normally am in but I knew there were a few gas stations in the area. The first station I came to was a BP. There were 5 cars gassin' up but I just couldn't pull in and spend my money there. It wasn't something I had considered but I drove on and found another station 2 blocks away.

I'm not a big boycott guy but for the time being I can't imagine giving BP my money - even though using my Roundy's/Copp's card will save me $.30 - $.40 per gallon.

So who are these people buying BP gas right now? Don't follow the news? Don't care? Maybe they think if BP has more money they'll be able to deal with the spill better?

Are you one of them?

Galoot
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Gassin' up at BP

Postby Galoot » Fri May 28, 2010 1:57 pm

Well....in my neighborhood, the closest choices are a Mobil and a BP. I've avoided Exxon stations completely since the Valdez disaster, and Mobil stations after the two merged. So now what do I do? Go back to buying gas from Exxon/Mobil?

There's a Speedway across Verona Rd. I guess I'll buy my gas there from now on. I'm with you--no way I'll buy from BP again, even though I have a Roundy's card.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri May 28, 2010 2:03 pm

Galoot wrote: I'm with you--no way I'll buy from BP again, even though I have a Roundy's card.

There's a decent chance you already have; BP makes more than just gasoline. Also, gasoline is a traded commodity, so there's a chance you're filling up with BP gas at other branded stations. I don't think BP even owns any stations in the U.S. anymore; you'll be affecting the bottom lines of the independently-owned stations, but not BP.

I have absolutely no problem with boycotts, but this one isn't very effective.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Fri May 28, 2010 2:18 pm

Since crude oil is a highly fungible good, boycotting one (or two or three) particular brands will do little to punish the corporations involved. The (global) market is there and BP, et al. will be able to sell it to the highest bidder, no matter what.

Stomach
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Stomach » Fri May 28, 2010 2:25 pm

I was wondering about that cause obviously if you buy gas at Billy Bob's Bait and Gas Hut he gets it from someplace, he doesn't have platform and well.

Still, the BP stations must pay some kind of franchise or something to operate under the name?

Oh, and I already didn't go to the BP on Atwood but that is just cause the dude is a butthole. That is a boycott that makes sense to me.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Fri May 28, 2010 2:27 pm

I agree with OJ on this, the only people you hurt are the local station owners and their employees. And those station owners are usually locked into franchise agreements for years at a time. Perhaps you would be more effective to petition the owners to change their station franchise when their agreements come up for renewal.

jman111
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jman111 » Fri May 28, 2010 2:41 pm

I'm a bit surprised there hasn't been more discussion about this. I'm normally not big on boycotts, but it would be nice if the "little guy" could at least direct his frustration at BP in some direct way. Although you are hurting the station owner more than BP with a boycott, the argument could be made that a boycott against BP stations is at least expressing disapproval of businesses that choose to represent BP.

But, considering the big picture, my greater frustration is with Uncle Sam for not keeping these idiots in line with enforcement of regulations.

O.J.
Forum God/Goddess

Postby O.J. » Fri May 28, 2010 2:42 pm

You could always petition the State Investment Board to divest itself of its BP holdings.

http://www.swib.state.wi.us/Fy09schedule.pdf

Ned Flanders
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ned Flanders » Fri May 28, 2010 3:34 pm

Citgo is owned by comrade Chavez.

Just sayin'

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Sun May 30, 2010 12:05 pm

My neighbor is always up socially responsible consumer practices, so late at night when I'm siphoning his gas I know in my heart that I'm doing the right thing.

Ducatista
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Ducatista » Sun May 30, 2010 1:02 pm

Ned Flanders wrote:Citgo is owned by comrade Chavez.

If only we had a soft K sound, and Kh sounded the same as Ch.

doppel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby doppel » Sun May 30, 2010 7:14 pm

As I was hijacking over the hill...

Everyone is just itching to get back at bp and I can understand that. But the reason I never buy their gas is that it isn't a "top tier" gasoline. Due to problems caused by poor gasoline in the American market, the auto manufacturers (BMW, General Motors, Honda, and Toyota) established their own gasoline standards named top tier. Better detergent, blending requirements and other standards ensure fuel related problems such as sticky valves, deposit build up, and clogged fuel injectors are eliminated. I'm kind of anal, so it's the only gas I use. Here's a list of stations that meet the standards.

QuikTrip
Chevron
Texaco
MFA Oil Co.
Conoco
Phillips 66
Entec Stations
Shell
The Somerset Refinery, Inc.
Kwik Trip / Kwik Star
Aloha Petroleum
Tri-Par Oil Co.
Turkey Hill Minit Markets
Mileage Stations
Road Ranger
CountryMark
Chevron Canada
Shell Canada
Petro-Canada
Sunoco Canada

Huckleby
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Huckleby » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:26 pm

hurting a local business owner as a way to punish BP makes no sense.

fisticuffs
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fisticuffs » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:31 pm

BP seems to spend a lot of money making these "local businesses" into shining monuments to their corporate logo. I find it hard to believe they don't have a specific stake in you buying gas at a BP station over the one down the street. Go buy your smokes and snack cakes at BP all you want but I don't see any reason to gas up at one.

persia
Forum Addict

Postby persia » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:43 pm

When I'm at home I usually fill up at Costco, on the road I tend to use Shell...

Return to “Town Vibe”