Buttheads

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
jembay526

Buttheads

Postby jembay526 » Tue May 18, 2010 1:02 pm

OK, time to get this off my chest-I hate smoking. Despise it. I do, however, support smoker's rights to smoke in designated areas. I have no problem with that at all. My problem is that THE WORLD IS NOT YOU @#$$@#@ING ASHTRAY!!!!!!! I don't care if they are biodegradable. So is feces, but I'm not gonna take a crap in you yard. THROW YOUR BUTTS IN A MARKED RECEPTACLE OR TRASH CAN, PLEASE!!!!!!
Last edited by jembay526 on Tue May 18, 2010 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bland
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Buttheads

Postby Bland » Tue May 18, 2010 1:07 pm

jembay526 wrote:I don't care if they are biodegradable.

You shouldn't, cuz they ain't.

jembay526

Postby jembay526 » Tue May 18, 2010 1:20 pm

Actually, I was being sarcastic-that's the reply I got when someone had thrown a bunch in my yard after the Sytttende Mai parade and I asked them very politely to please pick them up.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Tue May 18, 2010 1:27 pm

My old man used to flick his over and over until all the tobacco fell out and then stick 'em in his pocket.

Done deal.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue May 18, 2010 1:36 pm

I carried an old altoids tin around and put my butts in there till I found a trash can. Did that for the last four or five years before I quit.

Never once found another smoker who tried to do anything like that. It seemed a little pointless if I was in a group outside. Everyone else flicked their butts to the pavement and watched me with a little grin while I squeezed the fire off, pulled out the tin, opened it up, dropped in the butt, closed it and put it back in my pocket.

I did get a few thank yous from non smokers who were expecting me to flick it off to the side of the road, and I felt better, but beyond that it didn't make a whole lot of difference.

markkay
Forum Addict

Postby markkay » Wed May 19, 2010 8:18 am

This is something that pisses me off too. You wanna smoke, fine. But why do you think you can flick your cigarette out your goddamn car window? Is it stupidity? An arrogant sense of entitlement? Or are you just a dick?

Okay, I feel better now.

Oh, and why do smokers repeatedly tap the bottom of a pack, or whatever it is they're doing, when they purchase a new pack? Just curious.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Wed May 19, 2010 8:42 am

markkay wrote:Oh, and why do smokers repeatedly tap the bottom of a pack, or whatever it is they're doing, when they purchase a new pack? Just curious.

It packs the tobacco more firmly and makes the smoke last a little longer. So they say.

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Wed May 19, 2010 8:46 am

markkay wrote:Oh, and why do smokers repeatedly tap the bottom of a pack, or whatever it is they're doing, when they purchase a new pack? Just curious.

Compressing the tobacco more tightly so it burns slower.

I quit 13 years ago. There's nothing like that first cigarette in the morning, feeling that nicotine hit the blood stream...the rest of smoking sucks, but that first one of the day...mmmmmm.

thebookpolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby thebookpolice » Wed May 19, 2010 9:01 am

markkay wrote:But why do you think you can flick your cigarette out your goddamn car window? Is it stupidity? An arrogant sense of entitlement? Or are you just a dick?

It's because cigarettes are filthy! And it'd bring down the resale value of the car if the ashtray has a bunch of nasty cigarette residue in it.

One's lungs, on the other hand...

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed May 19, 2010 5:12 pm

The best source I could find for this was the Chicago Tribune:

Estimates on how long it takes a cigarette butt to turn into a fine powder vary, but the consensus places it at somewhere between 10 and 15 years. Yet butts don't biodegrade, they only break down. The distinction is important to environmentalists, who say butts end up as a plastic residue that stays in ecosystems for decades. A substance that biodegrades, by contrast, is usually organic: plant or animal matter neutralized by enzymes or sunlight.

The bottom line: Old cigarette butts only get diluted or buried. They never truly vanish.

Prof. Wagstaff
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Prof. Wagstaff » Wed May 19, 2010 5:29 pm

rabble wrote:

It packs the tobacco more firmly and makes the smoke last a little longer. So they say.

I was always told that the reason for packing your smokes was twofold: 1) to make it last longer, and 2) to prevent the cherries from dropping off prematurely. I dutifully packed mine for over a decade until a friend informed me he never did so. At that point I realized that I'd bummed countless cigs from him over the years and never noticed any difference whatsoever. I haven't packed my cigarettes since.

Walter wrote: There's nothing like that first cigarette in the morning, feeling that nicotine hit the blood stream...the rest of smoking sucks, but that first one of the day...mmmmmm.
Which is why I always say, if you're only going to have one cigarette a day, you should make it your first.

And for the record, when I smoke outdoors, I roll off the cherry and stick the butt in my pocket. I've done so ever since the day many years ago when some righteous smartass on a bike pulled up next to my car and handed me the butt I'd flicked out the window saying, "I think you dropped this." Sometimes, just the right amount of smartassery can change the world, I guess.

Kenneth Burns
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Kenneth Burns » Wed May 19, 2010 7:11 pm

It's a form of denial. Addiction is denial.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Thu May 20, 2010 5:47 am

I wonder where Carol disposes of her butts?

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Thu May 20, 2010 10:14 am

Madsci wrote:I wonder where Carol disposes of her butts?

She sounds mean enough to eat 'em.

Mulch her garden...

evildisc420

Postby evildisc420 » Thu May 20, 2010 12:20 pm

I have toyed with the idea of a website called "Buttchukkers.com" to bring public scorn to the equation. :idea:
See someone flick a butt? Use your cell to snap a pic of them or their license plate and post it to the site.
I lived in Colorado for many years, where it is more than a public nuisance. Butt flicking is blamed for wildfires every year, and costs taxpayers huge amounts in emergency fire fighting and property loss.

Return to “Town Vibe”