"I think people were done getting warnings for the day"

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Re: "I think people were done getting warnings for the day"

Postby jjoyce » Wed May 05, 2010 4:55 pm

I grew up in Minneapolis. There we called it a "boulevard." That's what I call mine in Madison and if it's against the law to put stuff out there free for the taking, half my neighborhood could be cited.

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Wed May 05, 2010 4:58 pm

Walter wrote:If people are parking on the terrace, it's a parking violation. It's called "No Parking On Terrace". I've written that one many times.

Hm.

green union terrace chair
Forum God/Goddess

Postby green union terrace chair » Wed May 05, 2010 5:56 pm

ilikebeans wrote:
Walter wrote:If people are parking on the terrace, it's a parking violation. It's called "No Parking On Terrace". I've written that one many times.

Hm.

I park my ass on that terrace all the time and have never gotten a ticket.

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Wed May 05, 2010 6:05 pm

jjoyce wrote:I grew up in Minneapolis. There we called it a "boulevard." That's what I call mine in Madison and if it's against the law to put stuff out there free for the taking, half my neighborhood could be cited.

I gave up on calling it a boulevard after all the blank looks and slack-jawed reactions. I was assimilated into the WI language borg, although I will never give up my "drinking fountain".

Putting stuff out happens in my neighborhood too, but we call it "garbage day". I don't want to start another "that's stupid" thread but taking stuff off the terrace is also against city ordinance. Unless the cops are doing a trash pick at the drug dealer's house. Then it's called "evidence".

ilikebeans wrote:

Hm.

Goddamn students!!!! Probably got a "permit"!!!!

I don't know why, but I got a little nuts with the quotation marks here. I mean "nuts". Maybe it's two natives enjoying a little MN Nice. Home is where the suppressed rage is.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed May 05, 2010 6:15 pm

I thought the boulevard was when you have a strip of grass and trees down the middle of the street, and the terrace was grass and trees on either side of the street.

So when you have the boulevard going down either side, what is the thing down the middle?

Oh, never mind. Whatever it is, you aren't supposed to park on the damn thing. Even down by da lake.

FWIW the part of my family that comes from Ohio calls the terrace (or boulevard) the "treelawn."
---
edit: here ya go, the definitive definition:
http://www.answers.com/topic/parking
scroll down to "regional note"
Last edited by snoqueen on Wed May 05, 2010 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBookPolice
Forum God/Goddess

Postby TheBookPolice » Wed May 05, 2010 6:17 pm

This thread was the first instance I've ever heard the terrace called a "street terrace" OR a "boulevard."

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Wed May 05, 2010 7:16 pm

Go mow your treelawn, pal.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed May 05, 2010 8:00 pm

A boulevard is a grassy section that bisects a street (actually, it bisects a boulevard). The grassy part between the sidewalk and the road didn't have a name until I moved to Madison. It's now called the terrace.

Bwis53
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Bwis53 » Wed May 05, 2010 8:02 pm

Midvale Boulevard...

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed May 05, 2010 8:32 pm

Bwis53 wrote:Midvale Boulevard...

Some part of it is.

Misnomers abound. I grew up on a section of Berkeley Blvd. in Whitefolks Bay that had no grassy divide, while tonier parts of the boulevard did.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Wed May 05, 2010 8:46 pm

The strip of grass between the sidewalk and street is a "terrace"? Huh. I guess my term of "road taint" is way off.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Wed May 05, 2010 10:58 pm

Ah, well do the police who patrol Hillcrest Drive happen to know this? I've seen one or two patrol cars hereabouts in the last two years, but I've never (ever) seen even one parking patrol – as opposed to the Atwook-Schenk neighborhood where they were thicker than flies on Glaswegian shite.
I understand this isn't a question for you, personally. Just wondering WTF is going on. I mean if I'm allowed to open up a street terrace bazaar catering to hearing-impaired Harley enthusiasts, I need to know.

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Thu May 06, 2010 2:48 am

fennel wrote:Ah, well do the police who patrol Hillcrest Drive happen to know this? I've seen one or two patrol cars hereabouts in the last two years, but I've never (ever) seen even one parking patrol – as opposed to the Atwook-Schenk neighborhood where they were thicker than flies on Glaswegian shite.
I understand this isn't a question for you, personally. Just wondering WTF is going on. I mean if I'm allowed to open up a street terrace bazaar catering to hearing-impaired Harley enthusiasts, I need to know.

Absolutely. When that area was my beat a few years ago, I used to cruise it Hillcrest fairly regularly and would have written the tickets on sight. I also chased people out of Hoyt Park at night and ran radar on Midvale Blvd in the morning from 5:30-6:30 almost everyday. Remember me sitting at Midvale and Bagley Parkway, anyone? Good times...

Parking Enforcement doesn't patrol residential areas like other more densely populated and trafficked commercial or mixed use areas. They will respond to calls for parking complaints, though, and have people specifically assigned to do this West, at least during the weekday. When Parking Enforcement isn't working, patrol responds to parking complaints, both private and on street complaints.

Call us: we're the government and we're here to help.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Thu May 06, 2010 9:08 am

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Thu May 06, 2010 5:45 pm

Walter wrote: ... When Parking Enforcement isn't working, patrol responds to parking complaints, both private and on street complaints.

Call us: we're the government and we're here to help.

I suppose, though it's so well established that I can't believe it's not noticed by patrol cars:

One of several on Hillcrest

4 houses in a row on Owen

Another on Owen

Return to “Town Vibe”