Fireworks: Aren't there more important things?

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Fireworks: Aren't there more important things?

Postby Dairylander » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:39 pm

Uncle_Leaver wrote: If there's a totally half-witted stance to be taken in an argument, Dairylander will take it... You've been slapped down twice now for talking out your ass... Just once I'd like to see you debate an issue and demonstrate the slightest bit of understanding of the topic.

I have never seen the likes of you, on the internet or in person.
I've never met anyone that feels so compelled to rain down personal attacks with such vitriolic condescension.
Every time I've seen you disagree with someone on this forum, your posts always contain some cursing contempt.
I don't understand why anyone would talk to another human being this way, simply because they disagree on a stupid forum discussion?
I will refrain from commenting on any of your posts, and I'd greatly appreciate the same in return.

Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:01 pm

If anyone has a big event, they must provide their own security, or hire Madison's Finest to do it.
The city decided they wanted to donate those police costs to Rhythm&Booms.
Over the years, when the Rhythm&Booms police costs doubled from $50k to $100k as the event grew, did the city cut them off and say that R&B would have to come up with half that money? No, they decided that it was an event they wanted to continue to donate to.
This is not that different from the situation at Elver. They lost their sponsor, so the money they are requesting from the city is doubling, and Elver is asking the city to increase its contribution.
Why is this so out of line?
My point is that the city makes an arbitrary decision whether they donate the money or not, and it would be nice for that money to go to other parts of town as well.

Henry Vilas
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Henry Vilas » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:09 pm

Dairylander wrote:If anyone has a big event, they must provide their own security, or hire Madison's Finest to do it.

Are you saying the city can just walk away from extreme traffic congestion just because those sponsoring a well-attended event didn't make a donation to the police department?

That's some strange reasoning.

Average Joe
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Average Joe » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:20 pm

Walter wrote:
I like fireworks. I like celebrating the 4th of July. I just don't like the combination of the two here. These events are too large for the City to adequately handle.

Here's an idea that will never fly: Instead of throwing a big centralized R&B, the promoters should set off the firework show from barges in the middle of lakes Mendota and Monona as well as off the glass bank (a la New Year's Eve) simultaneously and promote smaller neighborhood celebrations in the neighborhood parks that surround the lakes and the downtown. Promote neighborhood celebrations with good views of fireworks with less chance of being charred from firework fallout. Not to mention less traffic aggravation and happier cops.

Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dairylander » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:47 pm

Henry Vilas wrote:
Dairylander wrote:If anyone has a big event, they must provide their own security, or hire Madison's Finest to do it.

Are you saying the city can just walk away from extreme traffic congestion just because those sponsoring a well-attended event didn't make a donation to the police department?

What?!?
No.
I'm saying that normally if your event is causing traffic congestion, you have to hire the cops to police it. The city has provided these services to Rhythm and Booms for free, even as the costs doubled.

Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:41 pm

Dairylander wrote:I have never seen the likes of you, on the internet or in person.

You've never encountered a smartass before? Geez, pal, take a breath. All I said is you're talking out your ass. It's not like I'm taking cheap shots at you personally. I'm taking exception with the nonsense coming from your keyboard, which is typically what happens when you post on a discussion page.

I don't understand why anyone would talk to another human being this way, simply because they disagree on a stupid forum discussion?

This is actually a pretty useful discussion, I think. If it's going the way of the stupid, it's because some people insist on posting the same thing over and over despite being informed that they're arguing from a position of ignorance.

I will refrain from commenting on any of your posts, and I'd greatly appreciate the same in return.

I'll do what I like, thanks. If you can't handle a little harmless smack talk, maybe the Internet is not the appropriate playground for you.

Now then, back on topic: Walter for the win.

Walter
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Walter » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:17 pm

I've always wanted to be Paul Lynde!

ilikebeans
Forum God/Goddess

Postby ilikebeans » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:07 am

Any chance of attracting more private sponsorship if the WOLX simulcast is nixed? No?

Dammit.

Uncle_Leaver
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Uncle_Leaver » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:17 am

Walter wrote:I've always wanted to be Paul Lynde!

This photo raises more questions than it answers.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:11 am

As usual, we're indebted to Walter for chiming in.

Plus, his points make the idea that Ald. Thuy is the one calling for city-sponsored fireworks (not cop patrols, but the actual booming things and porta-johns) that much more confusing.

In the West District, officers should be doing police things, not babysitting the park. More and more, this is looking like someone yapping to the first TV camera that came calling without thinking first.

drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:15 am

jjoyce wrote:As usual, we're indebted to Walter for chiming in.

Really? I thought his rant sounded like a typical employee disgruntled at having to do their job. Sorry Walter, if you couldn't figure out you were going to have to work OT for the fireworks before you became a cop, that's your own stupidity. Were you also unaware you may have to work nights and weekends too?
Using the whole, "what would we do if someone was murdered?" line is too easy- besides, according to your own post, all the gangs and thugs are at the fireworks.

Madsci
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Madsci » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:49 am

drinkinblackcoffee wrote:

Really? I thought his rant sounded like a typical employee disgruntled at having to do their job. Sorry Walter, if you couldn't figure out you were going to have to work OT for the fireworks before you became a cop, that's your own stupidity. Were you also unaware you may have to work nights and weekends too?
Using the whole, "what would we do if someone was murdered?" line is too easy- besides, according to your own post, all the gangs and thugs are at the fireworks.

I agree with Walter about the fireworks being a complete pain in the ass. I also try to leave town for the 4th of July. And I am not a disgruntled employee. DBC sounds like the stupid one to me.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:53 am

I agree with him too. All jobs have up sides and down sides, but the fireworks nights just plain stretch our public services too thin. I've seen the Warner Park thing grow bigger for enough years. We've reined in Halloween, now let's get a handle on the Fourth. Parties are fine, but some just get too big.

It's not only about Walter, it's the entire force and public safety in general. I think the PD needs to address the city council (maybe they already do) during the debate on this thing and point out the effect the event has on emergency coverage. The fireworks show is entirely optional. If it overstresses our resources this badly, it should not be supported. The council is responsible for setting limits. This may be a case where we need them to draw the line instead of just juggle the financing around.

jjoyce
Forum God/Goddess

Postby jjoyce » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:58 am

This just in: Woodman's is continuing to cut a check and city parks dept. is going to coordinate.

http://www.cityofmadison.com/mayor/blog ... cfm?Id=320

I expect a grateful Ald. Thuy to thank the "city hall" she rails against anytime someone puts a mic in front of her any minute now.

drinkinblackcoffee
Forum Addict

Postby drinkinblackcoffee » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:25 pm

Madsci wrote:
drinkinblackcoffee wrote:

I agree with Walter about the fireworks being a complete pain in the ass. I also try to leave town for the 4th of July. And I am not a disgruntled employee. DBC sounds like the stupid one to me.

You do realize Walter's a cop, right? Unless you are as well, you can't really empathize with his position. Stupid.

Return to “Town Vibe”