Ok maybe I am nuts. But just a little

What are the things that puzzle, enrage, delight and tickle you as you go about your life in Madison?
Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Ok maybe I am nuts. But just a little

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:21 pm

Actually there's two...

Where I sit at the computer I can see out the window at who's walking by on the sidewalk. Last summer I started to notice that the same fellow was walking by way too many times. Nebbishy spud-like little fellow with kind of messed-up eyes, never looks at anything in particular. Would walk by like six times in a two-hour span.

After a few months of seeing this guy hundreds of times too many, he suddenly dried up. "Oh good", I thought. "They've finally locked him up in Mendota".

Well, he was replaced by another. Semi-scarey beardy guy.

Well, guess what, spring has sprung and spud-man is back. Beardy guy is still around. I wonder if they ever talk.

It it me? I am I the one who is crazy? Am I turning into Jimmy Stuart in Rear Window?
Last edited by Dust Mite Rodeo on Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Donald
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Same guy walks by over and over and over again.

Postby Donald » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:34 pm

I'm not so sure your behavior is all that normal, either. After all, you admit to sitting in front of a computer screen for hours on end with what seem like they could be paranoid ideations. I imagine that guy walking outside your window might wonder about the sanity of someone who would appear to him to be chained to a computer screen, but maybe he's less paranoid than you.

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Same guy walks by over and over and over again.

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:23 pm

Oh Donald, nice try. But as an IT worker who works at home part of the time, I'm actually paid to sit there.

Dairylander
Forum God/Goddess

Re: Ok maybe I am nuts. But just a little

Postby Dairylander » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:04 am

I have a similar pedestrian by my house - appears to be an autism spectrum issue.
I think the longer it goes on, the better, because anyone with bad intentions on some sort of recon mission would never be so obvious.
Consider him your neighborhood watch.
Give him a badge and one of those huge Maglight flashlights.

snoqueen
Forum God/Goddess

Postby snoqueen » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:15 am

Or else Dust Mite and Dairylander live side by side and haven't figured it out yet.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:35 am

I've got a twice daily dude that passes my house for a year or more now. Stocky guy, maybe 50, with a big thick head and an overall not-quite-evolved look to him. Looks at the ground 8 feet in front of him as he walks, never acknowledges anyone. Creeped me out a little the first few months and then I just got used to him but could still picture seeing his mug shot in the paper some day. Then about a week ago I saw him on a bike and it just took all the creepiness away. Now he's just another east side greenie. We'll probably be exchanging hello nods any day now.

fennel
Forum God/Goddess

Postby fennel » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:10 am

narcoleptish wrote:I've got a twice daily dude that passes my house for a year or more now. Stocky guy, maybe 50, with a big thick head and an overall not-quite-evolved look to him. Looks at the ground 8 feet in front of him as he walks, never acknowledges anyone.
Hey, I've seen that guy. On the west side?

chance
Forum Addict

Postby chance » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:07 pm

fennel wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:I've got a twice daily dude that passes my house for a year or more now. Stocky guy, maybe 50, with a big thick head and an overall not-quite-evolved look to him. Looks at the ground 8 feet in front of him as he walks, never acknowledges anyone.
Hey, I've seen that guy. On the west side?
Hmm, that sounds like me. I've got the stocky, 50-ish, big-head things all nailed. The not-quite-evolved thing, too; it's those brow ridges from remnant Neandertal genes.

I pass a lot of houses twice daily. It's called walking to and from work.

Dust Mite Rodeo
Forum God/Goddess

Postby Dust Mite Rodeo » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:32 pm

The scariest serial pedestrians are the ones who walk really really slowly, talking on a cell phone the whole time, and closely examining each house while they do it.

narcoleptish
Forum God/Goddess

Postby narcoleptish » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:40 am

fennel wrote: Hey, I've seen that guy. On the west side?

No, Atwood area.

And when I say twice I mean two separate round trips, maybe he's just an exercise walker. Saw him late yesterday on the bike again....such a nice man.

rabble
Forum God/Goddess

Postby rabble » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:14 pm

narcoleptish wrote:No, Atwood area.

And when I say twice I mean two separate round trips, maybe he's just an exercise walker. Saw him late yesterday on the bike again....such a nice man.

Huh. I walk and bike around that area a lot and haven't noticed anyone like that. I'll take my eyes off the sidewalk next time and see if I can spot him.

Exploding Pinto
Forum Addict

Postby Exploding Pinto » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:57 pm

rabble wrote:
narcoleptish wrote:No, Atwood area.

Huh. I walk and bike around that area a lot and haven't noticed anyone like that. I'll take my eyes off the sidewalk next time and see if I can spot him.

Maybe it's you? What's the circumference of your skull? Are you a nice man?

Return to “Town Vibe”